Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

Excellent idea.

Give them their own day...I can always use another federal holiday....but Columbus stays....

Columbus never set foot in North America

Christopher Columbus: 3 things you think he did that he didn’t

LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Excellent idea.

Give them their own day...I can always use another federal holiday....but Columbus stays....

So.....ever see the Easter Bunny?

Excellent idea.

Typical. We pay for your laziness.

Besides, King TrumpleThinSkin wants to name a new national holiday where we will all be forced to salute the flag. No, I'm not kidding but hey, maybe we can spend that same day saying happy xmas.

Either way, the tax payers widll be forced to pony up for whatever the fascist slime wants.

Trump isn't a fascist, hilary and obama are the fascists...and they are both gone now.

If not for Columbus the primitive natives would still have no word for wheel, and still would have no clue what a horse is.

Just kidding.

They would have eventually figured out how to build a wheel and make boat bigger than a canoe.

I mean, I am sure they would have. I, I am just sure....they would have.

except...they didn't....and they were around as long as the societies of Europe........

I don't mind honoring those folks. But it doesn't have to replace Columbus Day.

Great idea.

We can call it "Native American Aborigine Losers Day"

Federal holiday.

White Man make-um heap big wampum selling firewater to redskin.

Excellent idea.

Besides, King TrumpleThinSkin wants to name a new national holiday where we will all be forced to salute the flag. No, I'm not kidding but hey, maybe we can spend that same day saying happy xmas.

Either way, the tax payers widll be forced to pony up for whatever the fascist slime wants.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the bill in Nebraska.

What it has to do with is that we don't need any more tax funded holidays.

I would not object to a Native American holiday - they're about the only group who should have a special day - but how many more will want their own holiday?

How about we get rid of paid religious holidays? Or, if the christians want their holidays, what about the other gods and other religions?

Its a dumb can of worms that we will never get closed.

Excellent idea.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the bill in Nebraska.

What it has to do with is that we don't need any more tax funded holidays.

I would not object to a Native American holiday - they're about the only group who should have a special day - but how many more will want their own holiday?

How about we get rid of paid religious holidays? Or, if the christians want their holidays, what about the other gods and other religions?

Its a dumb can of worms that we will never get closed.

It's a bill in Nebraska where the schools are open on Columbus Day. Replacing it would not be an extra "paid" holiday.

My family comes from England and Italy. So, the Italian Americans that are vocal about maintaining Columbus Day are celebrating mediocrity. The guy died in ignorance.

Last edited:

Excellent idea.

So.....ever see the Easter Bunny?

You should take a history class, short bus....

Forum List

Back