Biden says he won’t allow Justice Dept. to seize journalists’ phone, email records

Biden is a liar and will not keep this promise.

Also, there is no legal basis for a "journalist's privilege."

Source: Microsoft News

Story Link: Biden says he won't allow Justice Department to seize journalists phone, email records

"President Biden on Friday declared that he would not allow his Justice Department to seize journalists’ phone or email records, calling the practice “simply wrong.”

At the White House, a reporter asked Biden about federal law enforcement taking such records and whether the president would “prevent your Justice Department from doing that.” Biden joked with the reporter, then grew serious, saying: “Absolutely, positively it’s wrong. It’s simply, simply wrong.”

“So you won’t let your Justice Department do that?” the reported asked.

“I will not let that happen,” the president responded.

Biden’s declaration follows recent disclosures that during the Trump administration, the Justice Department secretly sought the records of four journalists, three for their work at The Washington Post and one for her reporting at CNN.
"

Good job Joe! props for FINALLY doing this, however given the fact that it's coming from a partisan politician with a history of playing a bit fast and loose with the truth, I'll personally take a "Proof is in the pudding" approach and wait and see if this plays out.

It's VERY disturbing that in a Nation of Laws, where the 4th Amendment is in effect that the President actually has to tell the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT that it's not allowed to spy on it's supposedly FREE PRESS, should go without saying.

Considering the overwhelming majority of bureaucrats are Dems, he doesn't have to worry about leaks. Even if he did his lapdog press wouldn't broadcast them.
You appear to be forgetting that the "majority of bureaucrats" under Obama were Dems and that same "lapdog press" outted the Obama Administration's DOJ for violating the 4th Amendment protections of journalists. Even "lapdog journalists" don't stand by idly when their rights get violated even though they sometimes don't seem so keen on yelping when everybody Else's get trampled on.
Nothing better then having to promise something won't happen that never would happen.

And the purpose isn't going after the press, it's going after the leakers, who at worst are breaking the law, and at best are breaking the terms of their employment.
How about we wait and see? Joe's statements were at least a little step in the right direction, no?

"How about we wait and see? Joe's statements were at least a little step in the right direction, no?"

No, that's not how I would characterize it. I'd call it lip service.

Forum List

Back