Biden says he won’t allow Justice Dept. to seize journalists’ phone, email records

NightFox

Wildling
Jul 20, 2013
North beyond the Wall
Source: Microsoft News

Story Link: Biden says he won't allow Justice Department to seize journalists phone, email records

"President Biden on Friday declared that he would not allow his Justice Department to seize journalists’ phone or email records, calling the practice “simply wrong.”

At the White House, a reporter asked Biden about federal law enforcement taking such records and whether the president would “prevent your Justice Department from doing that.” Biden joked with the reporter, then grew serious, saying: “Absolutely, positively it’s wrong. It’s simply, simply wrong.”

“So you won’t let your Justice Department do that?” the reported asked.

“I will not let that happen,” the president responded.

Biden’s declaration follows recent disclosures that during the Trump administration, the Justice Department secretly sought the records of four journalists, three for their work at The Washington Post and one for her reporting at CNN.
"

Good job Joe! props for FINALLY doing this, however given the fact that it's coming from a partisan politician with a history of playing a bit fast and loose with the truth, I'll personally take a "Proof is in the pudding" approach and wait and see if this plays out.

It's VERY disturbing that in a Nation of Laws, where the 4th Amendment is in effect that the President actually has to tell the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT that it's not allowed to spy on it's supposedly FREE PRESS, should go without saying.

Last edited:
...just sayin

Obama administration spied on Fox News reporter James ...

Obama administration spied on Fox News reporter James Rosen: Report. Read full article. May 20, 2013, 6:42 AM. The Justice Department spied extensively on Fox News reporter James Rosen in 2010,...

Obama prosecuted 10 whistleblowers and spied on more than ...

According to CBS, Court documents released in May, 2013 show the Obama administration secretly monitored a Washington journalist. In seeking a search warrant, the FBI called Fox News’ James Rosen a “criminal co-conspirator,” even though he isn’t charged with any crime.This “level of government surveillance of a reporter was unprecedented” wrote the editorial page (2).

USA Today: Obama "Wiretapped Journalists and Spied on ...

The former president’s administration wiretapped journalists and spied on Congress.” Folks, this is a major national paper making the claim that former President Obama engaged in KGB-like spying on journalists and Congress. Totally beyond the bounds of what …

Story Link: Biden says he won't allow Justice Department to seize journalists phone, email records

"President Biden on Friday declared that he would not allow his Justice Department to seize journalists’ phone or email records, calling the practice “simply wrong.”

At the White House, a reporter asked Biden about federal law enforcement taking such records and whether the president would “prevent your Justice Department from doing that.” Biden joked with the reporter, then grew serious, saying: “Absolutely, positively it’s wrong. It’s simply, simply wrong.”

Biden’s declaration follows recent disclosures that during the Trump administration, the Justice Department secretly sought the records of four journalists, three for their work at The Washington Post and one for her reporting at CNN.
"

Good job Joe! props for FINALLY doing this, however given the fact that it's coming from a partisan politician with a history of playing a bit fast and loose with the truth, I'll personally take a "Proof is in the pudding" approach and wait and see if this plays out.

It's VERY disturbing that in a Nation of Laws, where the 4th Amendment is in effect that the President actually has to tell the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT that it's not allowed to spy on it's supposedly FREE PRESS, should go without saying.

Considering the overwhelming majority of bureaucrats are Dems, he doesn't have to worry about leaks. Even if he did his lapdog press wouldn't broadcast them.

Nothing better then having to promise something won't happen that never would happen.

And the purpose isn't going after the press, it's going after the leakers, who at worst are breaking the law, and at best are breaking the terms of their employment.

It's instructional to note that the last administration to seize phone and email records and spy on journalists
was the Obama/Biden administration.

I don't remember cognitively disadvantaged Joe raisin a ruckus over the way his administration spied
on journalists. Journalist alleging Obama administration spied on her seeks to reopen case

Maybe it just slipped his declining mind.

"

Considering the overwhelming majority of bureaucrats are Dems, he doesn't have to worry about leaks. Even if he did his lapdog press wouldn't broadcast them.
You appear to be forgetting that the "majority of bureaucrats" under Obama were Dems and that same "lapdog press" outted the Obama Administration's DOJ for violating the 4th Amendment protections of journalists. Even "lapdog journalists" don't stand by idly when their rights get violated even though they sometimes don't seem so keen on yelping when everybody Else's get trampled on.
Nothing better then having to promise something won't happen that never would happen.

And the purpose isn't going after the press, it's going after the leakers, who at worst are breaking the law, and at best are breaking the terms of their employment.
How about we wait and see? Joe's statements were at least a little step in the right direction, no?

How about we wait and see? Joe's statements were at least a little step in the right direction, no?
You can wait and see but given Joe's duplicity when the Obama administration was spying on journalists
I doubt he suddenly becomes a crusader for the rights of journalists to be free of harassment and
government intimidation.

From the AP: "The Obama administration used the 1917 Espionage Act with unprecedented vigor, prosecuting more people under that law for leaking sensitive information to the public than all previous administrations combined. Obama’s Justice Department dug into confidential communications between news organizations and their sources as part of that effort."

You can wait and see but given Joe's duplicity when the Obama administration was spying on journalists
I doubt he suddenly becomes a crusader for the rights of journalists to be free of harassment and
government intimidation.

From the AP: "The Obama administration used the 1917 Espionage Act with unprecedented vigor, prosecuting more people under that law for leaking sensitive information to the public than all previous administrations combined. Obama’s Justice Department dug into confidential communications between news organizations and their sources as part of that effort."
That's cool and your points are well taken.

I will however take the "cautiously optimistic" approach if for no other reason than there's way too many other things to worry about with this Administration AND the fact that I'm pretty confident that if the DOJ does it again, journalists will probably find out about it and aren't going to keep it to themselves.

I will however take the "cautiously optimistic" approach if for no other reason than there's way too many other things to worry about with this Administration AND the fact that I'm pretty confident that if the DOJ does it again, journalists will probably find out about it and aren't going to keep it to themselves.
And I will remain "cautiously realistic" given Joe Biden's track record as a key member of the administration
that went hammer and tongs after journalists it considered enemies of the state (i.e. the Obama regime).

Also I have to consider fearless journalists like Sheryl Atkinson and James Rosen don't grow on trees
and there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm theses days for confrontation from journalists that seem more snoozing lap dogs than watch dogs.

"

You appear to be forgetting that the "majority of bureaucrats" under Obama were Dems and that same "lapdog press" outted the Obama Administration's DOJ for violating the 4th Amendment protections of journalists. Even "lapdog journalists" don't stand by idly when their rights get violated even though they sometimes don't seem so keen on yelping when everybody Else's get trampled on.

Obama was before Trump and Trump and anyone who voted for him being the spawn of SatanMcHitler.

Collectivists do nothing better than follow the herd once they see a threat to their worldview.

I have nothing against trying to find government leakers using proper due process, i.e. warrants and such. Press protections are for the press, not the people working in government.

If you feel strongly enough to leak, you should feel strongly enough to risk your job, or in cases of secure information, your freedom.

And I will remain "cautiously realistic" given Joe Biden's track record as a key member of the administration
that went hammer and tongs after journalists it considered enemies of the state (i.e. the Obama regime).

Also I have to consider fearless journalists like Sheryl Atkinson and James Rosen don't grow on trees
and there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm theses days for confrontation from journalists that seem more snoozing lap dogs than watch dogs.
Again, your points are well taken.

Allow me to add one last point for your consideration, with this statement Joe has put his political "neck on the line" so to speak, since if it happens again and the DOJ gets caught under his administration, he's going to take a shellacking in the press and it's going to be VERY difficult for the apparatchiks in the Democrat party to defend him, at least give him credit for that since previous administrations didn't take that step after they got nailed doing it.

Anyways thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Funny how nobody on the left had a problem with the feds entering Rudy Giuliani's home and "seizing" his records.
Funny? How do you mean that? C'mon man!
It's Rudy Giuliani! Hitler Trump's right hand man in 2020.
The Orange Monster doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Neither do his henchmen.

I don't find the lack of objection odd at all. It's par for the course nowdays.

"

UNLESS they are from Fox or other media that is a named enemy of the Reich....

...just sayin

Obama administration spied on Fox News reporter James ...

Obama administration spied on Fox News reporter James Rosen: Report. Read full article. May 20, 2013, 6:42 AM. The Justice Department spied extensively on Fox News reporter James Rosen in 2010,...

Obama prosecuted 10 whistleblowers and spied on more than ...

According to CBS, Court documents released in May, 2013 show the Obama administration secretly monitored a Washington journalist. In seeking a search warrant, the FBI called Fox News’ James Rosen a “criminal co-conspirator,” even though he isn’t charged with any crime.This “level of government surveillance of a reporter was unprecedented” wrote the editorial page (2).

USA Today: Obama "Wiretapped Journalists and Spied on ...

The former president’s administration wiretapped journalists and spied on Congress.” Folks, this is a major national paper making the claim that former President Obama engaged in KGB-like spying on journalists and Congress. Totally beyond the bounds of what …

Joseph Stolen was obviously told to stutter that they won't do it again. Getting caught "is wrong".

Which has all the veracity of the stuttering fuck promising he won't molest children anymore.... or take money from the chinks....

Again, your points are well taken.

Allow me to add one last point for your consideration, with this statement Joe has put his political "neck on the line" so to speak, since if it happens again and the DOJ gets caught under his administration, he's going to take a shellacking in the press and it's going to be VERY difficult for the apparatchiks in the Democrat party to defend him, at least give him credit for that since previous administrations didn't take that step after they got nailed doing it.

Anyways thanks for the thoughtful replies.
Meh...you think Joe's "neck is on the line" by claiming to respect the rights of journalists.
I couldn't disagree more.

I've been made very cynical by the way the press rose as one (with a very few notable exceptions) to make Trump out to be an existential threat to America and our way of life, like Godzilla with a bad hair cut
looming on the horizon ready to decimate American at any instant.

While, simultaneously,they simply dozed off while Middle Class Joe ran for president and offered little to no real substantive push back against Biden (for instance the issue of Hunter Biden during his campaign).

I mean to say, there was no issue at all there. They simply went silent and Joe had a real road block removed
from his path by the snoozing.press.
Imagine a Trump offspring with the liabilities of Hunter Biden. I've tried. I can't.

Forum List

Back