Biden releases new Campaign Slogan

On the driver shortage, have heard the suggestion of lowering the CDL age to18. I maintained CDLs for years, (though didn't drive much) as a hedge against company drivers not available for some reason.
White 6 You know a lot more about it than I do but my sense is 18 year olds think they are bulletproof. That would be dangerous behind the wheel of a multi-ton truck. Certainly their vision and reflexes would be better than any older truck driver but the impatience and fearlessness that goes with that age group makes it a non starter for me. People will argue that we allow 18 year olds to serve in the military but fearlessness is an asset to soldiers, not so much for truck drivers.

White 6 You know a lot more about it than I do but my sense is 18 year olds think they are bulletproof. That would be dangerous behind the wheel of a multi-ton truck. Certainly their vision and reflexes would be better than any older truck driver but the impatience and fearlessness that goes with that age group makes it a non starter for me. People will argue that we allow 18 year olds to serve in the military but fearlessness is an asset to soldiers, not so much for truck drivers.
Sounds like you got it. Their real problem is attention to detail, attention span, ease of distractions and judgement. I have supervised and managed lots of 18-year-olds, military and civilian. Good folks mostly, but they bear watching closely for a while as they sometimes don't watch themselves.

Forum List

Back