Biden just said he's planning to build trains that travel as fast as commercial jets

Look at the success CA has had with their high speed rail to Las Vegas! Billions overbudget, years behind schedule and they could have bought 10,000,000 round trip ticks with the money they already pissed away placating the democrat Unions
It was supposed to connect SF and LA, and has been scaled back to Bakersfield to Merced. I mean that is route for Greyhound. It is a gazillion dollars over budget. I think construction has stopped. It might never carry 1 passenger.

I think the senile old fuck missed a diaper change or something.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Plans are coming out for things like that. He didn't mean tomorrow obviously, brainwashed functional GOP base morons. Change the channel to something not owned by Rupert Murdoch someday....

It's pretty clear it doesn't mean tomorrow when it says right there, "imagine a world where...".

Imagine a world where Hoss Cartwright could read. Or where the fact that he's using a Twatter image as a source occured to his dense cranium.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Plans are coming out for things like that. He didn't mean tomorrow obviously, brainwashed functional GOP base morons. Change the channel to something not owned by Rupert Murdoch someday....

It's pretty clear it doesn't mean tomorrow when it says right there, "imagine a world where...".

Imagine a world where Hoss Cartwright could read. Or where the fact that he's using a Twatter image as a source occured to his dense cranium.

giphy.gif

There is no such assessment. Read your own quote. Oh and by the way your quote isn't even sourced, so we don't know whether Biden even said what's in the Twatter image. Now do we.

Your dodge is noted.

I don't have a Dodge any more. I have a MINI though. I race trains with it.

Cutting out the two hours you have to wait at the airport gets you a nice head start

You think there won't be any waiting or security at a high-speed rail station? LOL!

What we think is you don't need a commute on both ends to get to the train station because it's way outside of the city, and you generally don't need to wait for a yuge rolling thing to figure out where your bag is, so all of that adds two or three hours, or more, to a plane trip.

Have you ever actually been on an airplane?

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

The average speed is 173 MPH. An airliner can go anywhere and doesn't choo choo tracks.

But it does need a yuge airport that is maybe an hour from where you are, and another one maybe an hour from where you're going, and lots of seats to sit around waiting, and long long security lines, and a system that holds your baggage hostage, or maybe sends it to Dubuque. While all that's going on, the train is training.

Look at the success CA has had with their high speed rail to Las Vegas! Billions overbudget, years behind schedule and they could have bought 10,000,000 round trip ticks with the money they already pissed away placating the democrat Unions
That's the train. Biden and Newsom are gonna work on it together.

But it does need a yuge airport that is maybe an hour from where you are, and another one maybe an hour from where you're going, and lots of seats to sit around waiting, and long long security lines, and a system that holds your baggage hostage, or maybe sends it to Dubuque. While all that's going on, the train is training.

True. Of course the much vaunted Erostar trains require huge ralroad stations at both ends and hours-long waits in security lines before boarding. But they cover their 20 miles in just a few minutes. If ou're headed for Paris hand-carry your luggage or take a slow train to Brussels to look for it.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

Joe was probably talking about the underground bullet trains that Tesla is talking about, the Hyperloop, which would be designed for 700 mph. Don't expect these Trumptards to know what the future holds, as they still live in the past.

So which one will it be? 155 mph seems to be the max for a high speed train, but that number lowers significantly if the track passes through populated areas. So the bottom line is that a train will never get you to coast to coast as fast as a jet. Only a senile old fool would think it possible

Category I – New tracks specially constructed for high speeds, allowing a maximum running speed of at least 250 km/h (155 mph).Category II – Existing tracks specially upgraded for high speeds, allowing a maximum running speed of at least 200 km/h (124 mph).Category III – Existing tracks specially upgraded for high speeds, allowing a maximum running speed of at least 200 km/h (124 mph), but with some sections having a lower allowable speed (for example due to topographic constraints, or passage through urban areas).
A third definition of high-speed and very high-speed rail (Demiridis & Pyrgidis 2012[7]) requires simultaneous fulfilment of the following two conditions:[6]

1. Maximum achievable running speed in excess of 200 km/h (124 mph), or 250 km/h (155 mph) for very high-speed,
  2. Average running speed across the corridor in excess of 150 km/h (93 mph), or 200 km/h (124 mph) for very high-speed.

The average speed is 173 MPH. An airliner can go anywhere and doesn't choo choo tracks.

Actually no. Medium size and regional airports can handle most airliners.
Hell I can fly from my midwestern Airport direct to my Condo in Punta Cana Dominican Rep in 4 hours. Rail just doesn't make sense in USA except for the NE Coast. Cali already phucked up their boondoogle bullet train.

Cutting out the two hours you have to wait at the airport gets you a nice head start

You think there won't be any waiting or security at a high-speed rail station? LOL!

What we think is you don't need a commute on both ends to get to the train station because it's way outside of the city, and you generally don't need to wait for a yuge rolling thing to figure out where your bag is, so all of that adds two or three hours, or more, to a plane trip.

Have you ever actually been on an airplane?

Wow, you've never been outside the US and used a high-speed rail system. The waits are long, and the security is tight, and the stations are often far from your destination. Usually you have to take another train after the high-speed train to get to where you want to go. Get out of your trailer park sometime, rube.

Forum List

Back