Biden just said he's planning to build trains that travel as fast as commercial jets

I think the senile old fuck missed a diaper change or something.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

The average speed is 173 MPH. An airliner can go anywhere and doesn't choo choo tracks.

But it does need a yuge airport that is maybe an hour from where you are, and another one maybe an hour from where you're going, and lots of seats to sit around waiting, and long long security lines, and a system that holds your baggage hostage, or maybe sends it to Dubuque. While all that's going on, the train is training.

Actually no. Medium size and regional airports can handle most airliners.
Hell I can fly from my midwestern Airport direct to my Condo in Punta Cana Dominican Rep in 4 hours. Rail just doesn't make sense in USA except for the NE Coast. Cali already phucked up their boondoogle bullet train.

Also, the carbon footprint associated with constructing railroad track is ENORMOUS, something the Dems never mention (probably because they don't know about it).

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

The average speed is 173 MPH. An airliner can go anywhere and doesn't choo choo tracks.

But it does need a yuge airport that is maybe an hour from where you are, and another one maybe an hour from where you're going, and lots of seats to sit around waiting, and long long security lines, and a system that holds your baggage hostage, or maybe sends it to Dubuque. While all that's going on, the train is training.

Hell I can fly from my midwestern Airport direct to my Condo in Punta Cana Dominican Rep in 4 hours. Rail just doesn't make sense in USA except for the NE Coast. Cali already phucked up their boondoogle bullet train.

It doesn't matter what SIZE the airport is, it's going to be located well outside any populated area, for the obvious reason. And the time it takes to get from where you are TO it, to process you in there, to get from the destination airport to where you're actually GOING --- because nobody's destination is the airport except airport workers --- and processing you out of it, and ALL of that takes time. You don't gauge how long a trip takes by the flight time. That's only a piece of it. And most of that is pieces that simply do not exist on a train.

Trains derail and fall off of bridges from time to time, death on a railroad isn't unheard of. And who wants to be brought into the rough "center of town" if their final destination is their home in suburbia, the habitat of the Middle Class?

Not to worry! As Trump (and others) predicted, the Biden-Harris Junta is going after single-family zoning in the suburbs.

Cutting out the two hours you have to wait at the airport gets you a nice head start

You think there won't be any waiting or security at a high-speed rail station? LOL!

What we think is you don't need a commute on both ends to get to the train station because it's way outside of the city, and you generally don't need to wait for a yuge rolling thing to figure out where your bag is, so all of that adds two or three hours, or more, to a plane trip.

Have you ever actually been on an airplane?

Wow, you've never been outside the US and used a high-speed rail system. The waits are long, and the security is tight, and the stations are often far from your destination. Usually you have to take another train after the high-speed train to get to where you want to go. Get out of your trailer park sometime, rube.

Actually when I lived in France that TGV was just starting up, which is why I thought of it immediately. That was some 40 years ago btw. I took trains every time I moved around both inside and between countries. So I'm afraid your linkless clueless all-hat-no-cattle record remains unbroken there, Dippy. I have to admit it's impressive how each of your posts is even stupider than the last one. That takes a kind of talent.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Are YOU saying that a train will NEVER be able to travel as fast as current commercial aircraft? Let's hear you say that bit of stupid.

Also, the carbon footprint associated with constructing railroad track is ENORMOUS, something the Dems never mention (probably because they don't know about it).

It is absurd, especially taking the land via eminent domain. There have been times when I didn't feel like driving and I would take the MegaBus around Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati for extended business stays. Super comfortable.
Mega-bus-boarding_dd_21.jpg

rawImage.jpg

I am guessing a 300mph train could really sneak around the corner and slice my car in half.

Tunnels or built above grade level. Very, very expensive either way. Not happening.

But that doesn't mean the feds won't waste billions and billions on it, as California has wasted so many billions on their farcical 'high-speed' rail. After all, unions need the money to kick back to the DemonRats.

Cutting out the two hours you have to wait at the airport gets you a nice head start

You think there won't be any waiting or security at a high-speed rail station? LOL!

What we think is you don't need a commute on both ends to get to the train station because it's way outside of the city, and you generally don't need to wait for a yuge rolling thing to figure out where your bag is, so all of that adds two or three hours, or more, to a plane trip.

Wow, you've never been outside the US and used a high-speed rail system. The waits are long, and the security is tight, and the stations are often far from your destination. Usually you have to take another train after the high-speed train to get to where you want to go. Get out of your trailer park sometime, rube.

Actually when I lived in France that TGV was just starting up, which is why I thought of it immediately. That was some 40 years ago btw. I took trains every time I moved around both inside and between countries. So I'm afraid your linkless clueless all-hat-no-cattle record remains unbroken there, Dippy. I have to admit it's impressive how each of your posts is even stupider than the last one. That takes a kind of talent.

So we both agree you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Good.

It doesn't matter what SIZE the airport is, it's going to be located well outside any populated area, for the obvious reason. And the time it takes to get from where you are TO it, to process you in there, to get from the destination airport to where you're actually GOING --- because nobody's destination is the airport except airport workers --- and processing you out of it, and ALL of that takes time. You don't gauge how long a trip takes by the flight time. That's only a piece of it. And most of that is pieces that simply do not exist on a train.

When you can do so without injuring yourself try Google Maps to see how far distant Logan International Airport is from downtown Boston.

Two more "disagrees" from two clowns who've never been on an aircraft.

What a great board.

So we both agree you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Good.

So lemme get this straight.

--- Not only have you ever smelled aviation fuel, you also don't have any clue where France is.

Unreal.

When you can do so without injuring yourself try Google Maps to see how far distant Logan International Airport is from downtown Boston.

Boston is tiny in terms of area. But more to the point, whenever I went to Boston (by plane) I got into and out of it via the "T" ---- which, for those not familiar .... IS A TRAIN.

I’ve never been on a train for a long trip but I can’t imagine you don’t check your bags. I don’t see everyone going to their seats with two rolling suit cases. No way.

Second, there’s no chance these trains won’t have a two hour check in time with TSA and all the same shit they have at airports. We used to run into an airport 15 minutes before take off, not now. Trains would be the same.

Third, and this is the technical part. You can’t just have a train going LA to NY like a direct flight. It’s not feasable, cost wise or use wise. The train would have to stop. A lot. So what stops? Let’s say LA, SLC, Denver, KC, STL, Chicago, Philly, NYC? Something like that. You aren’t smoking through those cities at 350 mph, sudden stop, 15 minute unload reload time and back to 350 mph. It’s an hour per stop minimum after slowing down well before getting there and leaving.

None of it makes sense as a tax payer investment. If a private railroad thinks they can do it I’m all for it. Not all of us paying for this mess.

Boston is tiny in terms of area. But more to the point, whenever I went to Boston (by plane) I got into and out of it via the "T" ---- which, for those not familiar .... IS A TRAIN.
So?

Forum List

Back