Best gun for newbies?

I'm thinking about getting a gun, but just doing research right now.

All of the local gun shops are still closed around my area, so I've been looking online at different types.

I know nothing about guns, except what I would like...........and I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I'm looking for something thats easy to handle, not so bulky, easy to manage, and that a silencer will fit on, and the ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also looking for a price of around $300 or less. New or used.

I like the looks of these, but as I said, I know nothing about guns at this point.

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Any suggestions on what would be best for what I want?
You'll be fine with this considering your weak budget. You won't get anything better for the price (unless you want a rifle). 9mm is generally available although I haven't looked recently. Got plenty myself. TAURUS G2C WITH LASER - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 903237312

Yep...something like that would be right up her ally.
I dont think revolvers are a good choice for beginners.
Pulling the trigger through a double action on a revolver is difficult to learn.

You didn't say what your primary reason is to buy one. Mine is home defense, and for me a silencer is both expensive and undesirable cuz when that thing (.38 revolver) goes off it sounds like a damn cannon inside the house and scares the shit out of most intruders. I don't want them wondering what the hell was that, I want them hauling ass outta my house. So, forget the silencer unless you wanna be a hitman.

Next thing: shotgun, rifle, or pistol. Biden says to use a shotgun, but he's crazy and going senile. I believe a shotgun inside the house is going to do a lot more damage to my house with all the pellets flying around, and if you don't scare 'em off then you probably only get one shot at 'em cuz the 1st one is gonna knock you on your ass from the recoil and maybe bust your shoulder if you ain't a big strong guy. Ditto a rifle if it fires any kind of larger caliber bullet; the bigger the bullet the greater the recoil.

So, that leaves a pistol, and another decision: semi-auto or revolver. A semi-auto pistol carries more bullets (which is good) but it uses a spring to feed the bullets into the chamber, and that spring can weaken over time and or the thing can jam and then you're screwed cuz it won't fire. Might as well be a $300 rock. Instead, I favor a revolver, it usually carries 5 or 6 bullets, but it is dependable as hell. You can load the thing and put it in a drawer and when you finally pull it out it'll fire.

My choice was a .38 snub-nose revolver, actually I got 2 of them. They're inexpensive as guns go, and they're dependable as hell. Very short barrel though, but that's okay for me cuz I don't live in a mansion, y'know? If I gotta pull the trigger, the bad guy(s) won't be more than 15 feet away, and I've practiced enough to hit somebody consistently enough at that distance. Key word there: practice with whatever weapon you get.

Piece of advice: get a dog. They are best and cheapest security system in the world. Might even scare off a would-be burglar when the dog starts barking. The bigger the dog the bigger the bark usually, a chihuahua ain't as scary as a doberman or a shepard.

I live in an apartment that does not allow pets. Also, I cannot afford the ongoing expense of having a pet. A gun is a one time purchase, which is do-able for me.

I want something for protection. Like I said, at this point, I don't know anything about guns, other than what they look like and from what I've heard online.

I want something for protection, mainly.

I live in a small apartment, in a semi-secluded area. But since Biden has been in office, I've noticed a LOT of strange vehicles driving SLOWLY through the apartments, blacked out windows, and windows rolled up all the way. Some vehicles don't have license plates. So, I'd like to have a weapon I can keep on me that isn't obvious, and something I can keep handy in the apartment.

Yes, I intend to take gun lessons. But like I said, the gun stores around the area I live in still have "closed" signs on them. Not that they are out of business, but that they are closed for some reason. Maybe they ran out of product, I don't know.

I have found a LOT of different kinds of used guns online, listed around $300.00, so I don't think it's any issue finding a used piece at the price range I'm looking at.

As for having a large pet...........my apartment doesn't allow pets. I cannot afford the ongoing expense of paying for a pet anyway, regardless of size, breed, or whatever. I cannot afford to move right now either, so I'm kind of stuck where I am.

I want a silencer because I don't like the loud "bang", but if they really don't work, then I'll look for something not so loud.......if such a thing exists.

And, as I stated before, I know nothing about guns at this point, so thats why I created this thread.
I have lots of questions, but since I don't know the product very well, I don't really know what pertinent questions to ask.

Maybe give Tazer guns a look also

I live in a small apartment, in a semi-secluded area. But since Biden has been in office, I've noticed a LOT of strange vehicles driving SLOWLY through the apartments, blacked out windows, and windows rolled up all the way. Some vehicles don't have license plates. So, I'd like to have a weapon I can keep on me that isn't obvious, and something I can keep handy in the apartment.

Yes, I intend to take gun lessons. But like I said, the gun stores around the area I live in still have "closed" signs on them. Not that they are out of business, but that they are closed for some reason. Maybe they ran out of product, I don't know.

I have found a LOT of different kinds of used guns online, listed around $300.00, so I don't think it's any issue finding a used piece at the price range I'm looking at.

As for having a large pet...........my apartment doesn't allow pets. I cannot afford the ongoing expense of paying for a pet anyway, regardless of size, breed, or whatever. I cannot afford to move right now either, so I'm kind of stuck where I am.

I want a silencer because I don't like the loud "bang", but if they really don't work, then I'll look for something not so loud.......if such a thing exists.

And, as I stated before, I know nothing about guns at this point, so thats why I created this thread.
I have lots of questions, but since I don't know the product very well, I don't really know what pertinent questions to ask.
Give consideration to Tazer type gun also . We posted about you taking gun safety course but if you want it for self defense add combat training to it. There places that offer it along with gun ranges.

Shooting a gun in an apartment is going to be loud no matter what caliber you buy.
You'll need hearing protection when praticing. If you're be robbed or worse you wont worry about how loud it is.
Also,shooting a gun in an apartment can be dangerous to your neighbors,even a .22 will pass through interior walls.
You have to be very careful or you could end up on the wrong side of a law suite.
They do however make frangible rounds that disintegrate when they strike a hard target yet they'll still cause plenty of damage to human flesh.

Maybe give Tazer guns a look also

Give consideration to Tazer type gun also . We posted about you taking gun safety course but if you want it for self defense add combat training to it. There places that offer it along with gun ranges.

Personally I wouldnt rely on a taser.
If the person is wearing a thick jacket they're useless.

Forum List

Back