Best gun for newbies?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I'm thinking about getting a gun, but just doing research right now.

All of the local gun shops are still closed around my area, so I've been looking online at different types.

I know nothing about guns, except what I would like...........and I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I'm looking for something thats easy to handle, not so bulky, easy to manage, and that a silencer will fit on, and the ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also looking for a price of around $300 or less. New or used.

I like the looks of these, but as I said, I know nothing about guns at this point.

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Any suggestions on what would be best for what I want?

All of the local gun shops are still closed around my area, so I've been looking online at different types.

I know nothing about guns, except what I would like...........and I don't even know if such a thing exists.

I'm looking for something thats easy to handle, not so bulky, easy to manage, and that a silencer will fit on, and the ammo doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also looking for a price of around $300 or less. New or used.

I like the looks of these, but as I said, I know nothing about guns at this point.

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Unfortunately, it’s not the best of times to start shooting.

Are you interested in shooting as an avocation or self-defense only?

A 1911 in good condition used is going to be hard to find at $300.

A striker-fired polymer-framed semi-auto will likely be in your budget used – 9x19mm will be the preferred chambering.

The Browning Hi-Power will be both impossible to find and out of your price range – even the clones can be expensive.

Consider also a revolver in .38 Special – it’s an outstanding self-defense round and very manageable.

Threaded barrels for suppressors can be found mostly on newer guns which may be more expensive.

First take a class on firearm safety or a concealed weapons class which will teach you a lot about the firearms and self defense laws in your state.

Your main problem today is ammo (22LR is particularly hard to find.) Your choice of firearms is also limited. Lots of new first time buyers since all the riots and defunding of the police in the last few months. Your limit of $300 is also a problem in today’s environment. You may consider saving some money or waiting until the demand decreases and look for a used handgun.

My advice is to first buy a .22 long rifle semi-automatic pistol such as a Ruger. Learn how to be proficient with handling a firearm and develop your accuracy skills. 22LR ammo is cheap compared to other pistol ammo and by the time you have developed skill at shooting you will have saved enough money on ammo to buy another handgun. A .22LR handgun also has little recoil which can interfere with your learning curve. While not my first choice by any means a weapon such as the Ruger pictured can be a home defense gun. You have a 10 round magazine in this weapon and one in the chamber if you choose. With practice magazines can be swapped in a second.

1624338349488.jpeg

Then much will depend of what you plan to use your weapon for. For home defense there is thing wrong with a revolver. Revolvers are simple to use and reliable. A Smith & Wesson .38/.357 revolver loaded with .38+P ammo such as this S&W Model 66 would be a good choice.

1624340963980.jpeg

Many people would rather have a full size pistol such as a Glock 17 9mm for home defense because it holds more ammo. I don’t own one but have fired a number on the range. They are excellent firearms. (I have small hands and the Glock 17 has a wide double stack magazine which makes me slant the firearm to reach the trigger.)
1624340500367.jpeg

For concealed carry if you live in the south you might chose a small compact revolver or pistol as they are easier to conceal under light clothing. If you can legally open carry you are not limited except for the fact that a heavy weapon is tiring to carry.

I carry a Smith and Wesson Model 642 .38+P revolver concealed in Florida in a pants pocket. It is an extremely light weapon but is not considered a beginner“s handgun as it has a stiff recoil and is double action only. (You can’t cock the weapon but must pull the heavy trigger.)

1624341202300.png

I recently bought a Ruger EC9s 9mm subcompact pistol which I may start carrying concealed. I need to practice with it first.

1624341641098.jpeg

Most people do not shoot their weapons often so it is quite possible to find an excellent used weapon to purchase. The problem is the price will be high due to the demand and supply.

Last edited:
a pre owned revolver would be best for a newby .... easier to clean and no jamming ... but you cant mount a silencer on them ... realistically you really dont need a silencer anyway . they are not silent at all . most people use silencer to cut down on the noise pollution a little .. unless you are firing a 22 cal a silencer on a gun will still be very loud .

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Where do you live? Gun stores were placed on the "essential business" list by Trump in 2020. Most of them around where I live were open during 2020 and all of them are open now. Batcat provided some very good information about approaching the task.

Also, if I were you, I would drop any preconceived notions about what you would "like". Most new folks "like" a lightweight, polymer pistol because it seems easy to handle. The ones intended for concealed carry are even more appealing - even smaller and lighter. Most of that enthusiasm fades after the first couple of rounds are fired. Recoil can be a nasty wake-up call. I'm with Batcat - buy a Ruger Mark III/IV or a S&W Victory - both weigh 2lbs or more and have little recoil.

Ammo that doesn't cost an arm and a leg -ROTFLOL - sorry, I couldn't help myself. Since you haven't owned a gun before, ammo pricing might not seem as bad as it is. Bricks (500 rds) of 22lr selling for up to $120 are plentiful - you CAN get ammo. In mid-2019, a brick of off-brand 22lr could be had for $20 - CCI SV was selling for $24 a brick - one of the more popular brands.

If you're serious about this, forget whatever it is that you think you know or want. Find a range in your area, go there, rent a gun, rent several different guns, talk to the people there, get some basic training. Shooting isn't cheap and gun ownership isn't something you approach by just "dipping your toe in water". It's a serious step and it involves a commitment on your part to accept responsibilities. If something goes wrong, it's all on you and you need to understand that.

Gun ownership, like getting old, is not for pussies.

Cheers

Your main problem today is ammo (22LR is particularly hard to find.)
Every teenage boy or girl had access to that when I was young, and now guns are banned by crooked cops who enforce Democrat Mob rule in defiance of the Constitution of the United States of America.

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Colt Python .357 Magnum Revolver

It's an easy to learn and use, very serviceable firearm, with significant firepower and barrel that extends accuracy over the snub-nose.
You can find one used from $140- $300 ... It's also heavy enough that if you run out of ammo,
you can grab it by the barrel and beat someone to death with it.

1624370277930.png

.​

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Colt Python .357 Magnum Revolver

It's an easy to learn and use, very serviceable firearm, with significant firepower and barrel that extends accuracy over the snub-nose.
You can find one used from $140- $300 ... It's also heavy enough that if you run out of ammo,
you can grab it by the barrel and beat someone to death with it.

View attachment 504314

.​

$140 - $300? You're just being funny, right? Or, maybe you know a guy who knows a guy...

Cheers

$140 - $300? You're just being funny, right? Or, maybe you know a guy who knows a guy...

Cheers

Shop around and you can find a Used one for that price ... Or maybe you don't know how to shop ... :auiqs.jpg:
You could also spend as much as $1500 for a used one, if you are silly enough to pay it.

Last edited:
First take a class on firearm safety or a concealed weapons class which will teach you a lot about the firearms and self defense laws in your state.

Your main problem today is ammo (22LR is particularly hard to find.) Your choice of firearms is also limited. Lots of new first time buyers since all the riots and defunding of the police in the last few months. Your limit of $300 is also a problem in today’s environment. You may consider saving some money or waiting until the demand decreases and look for a used handgun.

My advice is to first buy a .22 long rifle semi-automatic pistol such as a Ruger. Learn how to be proficient with handling a firearm and develop your accuracy skills. 22LR ammo is cheap compared to other pistol ammo and by the time you have developed skill at shooting you will have saved enough money on ammo to buy another handgun. A .22LR handgun also has little recoil which can interfere with your learning curve. While not my first choice by any means a weapon such as the Ruger pictured can be a home defense gun. You have a 10 round magazine in this weapon and one in the chamber if you choose. With practice magazines can be swapped in a second.

View attachment 504212
Then much will depend of what you plan to use your weapon for. For home defense there is thing wrong with a revolver. Revolvers are simple to use and reliable. A Smith & Wesson .38/.357 revolver loaded with .38+P ammo such as this S&W Model 66 would be a good choice.

View attachment 504219

Many people would rather have a full size pistol such as a Glock 17 9mm for home defense because it holds more ammo. I don’t own one but have fired a number on the range. They are excellent firearms. (I have small hands and the Glock 17 has a wide double stack magazine which makes me slant the firearm to reach the trigger.)
View attachment 504214

For concealed carry if you live in the south you might chose a small compact revolver or pistol as they are easier to conceal under light clothing. If you can legally open carry you are not limited except for the fact that a heavy weapon is tiring to carry.

I carry a Smith and Wesson Model 642 .38+P revolver concealed in Florida in a pants pocket. It is an extremely light weapon but is not considered a beginner“s handgun as it has a stiff recoil and is double action only. (You can’t cock the weapon but must pull the heavy trigger.)

View attachment 504221
I recently bought a Ruger EC9s 9mm subcompact pistol which I may start carrying concealed. I need to practice with it first.

View attachment 504222
Most people do not shoot their weapons often so it is quite possible to find an excellent used weapon to purchase. The problem is the price will be high due to the demand and supply.
I agree with Bat Cat I would add .22 mag revolver by Ruger.

View attachment 504212

View attachment 504219

View attachment 504214

View attachment 504221

View attachment 504222
22 mag is a cool lil round. Loud as hell and throws a flame(since the powder used is made for a long barrel)
The sound alone will make a dual-citizen crap out his chitterlings in his baggy pants

View attachment 504212

View attachment 504219

View attachment 504214

View attachment 504221

View attachment 504222
22 mag is a cool lil round. Loud as hell and throws a flame(since the powder used is made for a long barrel)
The sound alone will make a dual-citizen crap out his chitterlings in his baggy pants
At times I legally carry a S&W Model 351PD snub nosed revolver in a pants pocket. It is extremely light and holds 7 rounds. It’s definitely a mouse gun but I wouldn’t want to be shot by one. This is not a cheap weapon but I bought it used at a gun range.

The range master who sold me the weapon said the original owner didn’t like the recoil. To me the recoil is nonexistent with this weapon. My other carry revolver, a S&W Model 642 .38+P snub nosed revolver has considerable recoil in comparison. It is also a light weapon which is why the recoil from a 38+P round is so noticeable.

1624380873098.jpeg

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

Taurus g2c 9mm. 12+1, deadly accurate, $250-275.

1624381847558.png

It comes with 2 magazines.

You didn't say what your primary reason is to buy one. Mine is home defense, and for me a silencer is both expensive and undesirable cuz when that thing (.38 revolver) goes off it sounds like a damn cannon inside the house and scares the shit out of most intruders. I don't want them wondering what the hell was that, I want them hauling ass outta my house. So, forget the silencer unless you wanna be a hitman.

Next thing: shotgun, rifle, or pistol. Biden says to use a shotgun, but he's crazy and going senile. I believe a shotgun inside the house is going to do a lot more damage to my house with all the pellets flying around, and if you don't scare 'em off then you probably only get one shot at 'em cuz the 1st one is gonna knock you on your ass from the recoil and maybe bust your shoulder if you ain't a big strong guy. Ditto a rifle if it fires any kind of larger caliber bullet; the bigger the bullet the greater the recoil.

So, that leaves a pistol, and another decision: semi-auto or revolver. A semi-auto pistol carries more bullets (which is good) but it uses a spring to feed the bullets into the chamber, and that spring can weaken over time and or the thing can jam and then you're screwed cuz it won't fire. Might as well be a $300 rock. Instead, I favor a revolver, it usually carries 5 or 6 bullets, but it is dependable as hell. You can load the thing and put it in a drawer and when you finally pull it out it'll fire.

My choice was a .38 snub-nose revolver, actually I got 2 of them. They're inexpensive as guns go, and they're dependable as hell. Very short barrel though, but that's okay for me cuz I don't live in a mansion, y'know? If I gotta pull the trigger, the bad guy(s) won't be more than 15 feet away, and I've practiced enough to hit somebody consistently enough at that distance. Key word there: practice with whatever weapon you get.

Piece of advice: get a dog. They are best and cheapest security system in the world. Might even scare off a would-be burglar when the dog starts barking. The bigger the dog the bigger the bark usually, a chihuahua ain't as scary as a doberman or a shepard.

I wouldnt recommend a harmmerless double action revolver for a beginner.
While they are very reliable it takes a lot of practice to pull the trigger through the double action and still hit what your aiming at.
I'd go for a midsize 9mm semi auto. It has a relatively managable recoil and the trigger pull is way lighter making it easier to keep your pistol on target.
I've been shooting for around 48 years and my aim still suffers when pulling a revolver through the double action.

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

None of your images open

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

You'll be fine with this considering your weak budget. You won't get anything better for the price (unless you want a rifle). 9mm is generally available although I haven't looked recently. Got plenty myself. TAURUS G2C WITH LASER - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 903237312

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

I suggest before you buy a gun take a firearms training course

Forum List

Back