Best gun for an old lady with RA

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31348

22 Magnum round, around $300 and don't let the small dick compensators neigh say the smaller caliber, ballistics show it packs a punch.

MVC-263F.jpg

I like this one too. But..I just looked at a 38 smith and wesson..used...dude wants 300 for it plus the 100 plus bucks for registering it plus tax....almost 500 for it. So if Im gonna spend 500 bucks....I may as well get the 38 instead of the 22. But I like the "look" of this one.
Never bought a gun before, and the 357 is in ex's name...I think. Have they always charged for registering a gun??

Last edited:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31348

22 Magnum round, around $300 and don't let the small dick compensators neigh say the smaller caliber, ballistics show it packs a punch.

MVC-263F.jpg

I like this one too. But..I just looked at a 38 smith and wesson..used...dude wants 300 for it plus the 100 plus bucks for registering it plus tax....almost 500 for it. So if Im gonna spend 500 bucks....I may as well get the 38 instead of the 22. But I like the "look" of this one.
Never bought a gun before, and the 357 is in ex's name...I think. Have they always charged for registering a gun??

$100 for registering??!! :eek: Where the hell do you live??????!!!!!!!!!!

California. Unless the old grumpy coot was trying to rip me off.

Ballistically speaking a 22 mag is useless in anything other than a rifle.It makes a hell of a racket and throws flame out of the barrel of a revolver. That's all.
The 45 Long Colt and 45 ACP are probably the best rounds for a handgun to get low recoil and serious knock down power.
357 and 44 mag are good choices but Magnaporting is a big help for........ummmm.......those without very strong hands and forearms:cool:.........unless you give a lot of handies !!!:tongue:

I still like the 38...so Ill keep looking. Some old man with scrap metal has a gun he wants to sell so when ex goes out there to fetch the scrap metal hes gonna check it out for me. I hope its a snub. I dont like long barrels.
If I get pissed enough, I can handle a heavier gun. Tried to open a new jar of jam awhile ago and being new, it wouldnt open. Everyone is asleep. So I got pissed and said fuckit and twisted, bit my lip to keep from saying it out loud and opened that sucker. If I can open a new jar of jam, I can heft a gun once I make myself mad. :lol:

California. Unless the old grumpy coot was trying to rip me off.

I'm unfamiliar with the Peoples Democratic Republic of California firearms laws but the Federal NICS costs nothing. As for the state...... who knows, they may have a firearms registration fee, some states do. Now if you're purchasing the sidearm from out of state then there is shipping and a FFL transfer fee which could be as low as $20 or as high as $150 (in Washington DC).

IMEURU, I would hope that you've looked into the Licensing requirements for firearm possession in CA. They're not very nice. I am assuming you have a California CCW/LTC already, right? If not, THAT is your first step in doing anything.

As for the "tax".... Here in MA, some dealers will charge up to $20 to run your NICS check. I don't know about CA.

I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

You should look at the Ruger P series of pistols. I have one that sits under the seat of my car for the last 4 years and has had mo cleaning other then a bore brushing, and a hose down with WD-40. For a .22 the 45/22 is a good one. What is your price range ? A Glock in .9mm is good or .357 SIG if you want more power.

Immie,
Look for "Charter Arms." They make a series of revolvers that are copies of the Smith and Wessons made from aluminum and cheaper metasl, but they are mechanically wonderful guns at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a Smith and Wesson.

If used guns are fine with you, then its time to go pawn shopping.

I would suggest Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com as well, but you're going to have a harder time finding one that is willing to ship to California. The laws there are so messed up that even most Californians don't understand them, so those of us in the other 49 just exclude sales to CA resident in order to avoid the liability. $25 to $30 is the going rate for a background check in those instances (we have to mainain your transfer paperwork for 20 years, so $1, to $1.50/year for filing and storing it).

And I would not be too shy of the semi autos. They have more points of failure than a revolver, but for as little as you're going to use it, you are very unlikely to encounter any jams or failures.

The Ruger Tomcat....great little semi-auto. The KelTec mentioned earlier, I carry one too. Ruger LCP and Ruger LCR, can't go wrong with either. Also look at Taurus for ALL guns. They make good copies of all the popular guns including the Tomcat and the Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Your biggest problem literally is your State of residence. Your biggest advantage is (I assume) that "little old lady who wants/needs to protect herself." Pawnbrokers have hearts (some of us)...go to a pawn shop and play that card (the "I need some protection" card), then play the "is that the best you can do, because I really like THIS gun, but I don't have THAT MUCH money." They likely paid half or less of what they're asking on almost all used guns. Use your charm and they'll come off the price, still make a profit, and you'll get a better gun.

Good luck!

Immie,
Look for "Charter Arms." They make a series of revolvers that are copies of the Smith and Wessons made from aluminum and cheaper metasl, but they are mechanically wonderful guns at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a Smith and Wesson.

If used guns are fine with you, then its time to go pawn shopping.

I would suggest Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com as well, but you're going to have a harder time finding one that is willing to ship to California. The laws there are so messed up that even most Californians don't understand them, so those of us in the other 49 just exclude sales to CA resident in order to avoid the liability. $25 to $30 is the going rate for a background check in those instances (we have to mainain your transfer paperwork for 20 years, so $1, to $1.50/year for filing and storing it).

And I would not be too shy of the semi autos. They have more points of failure than a revolver, but for as little as you're going to use it, you are very unlikely to encounter any jams or failures.

The Ruger Tomcat....great little semi-auto. The KelTec mentioned earlier, I carry one too. Ruger LCP and Ruger LCR, can't go wrong with either. Also look at Taurus for ALL guns. They make good copies of all the popular guns including the Tomcat and the Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Your biggest problem literally is your State of residence. Your biggest advantage is (I assume) that "little old lady who wants/needs to protect herself." Pawnbrokers have hearts (some of us)...go to a pawn shop and play that card (the "I need some protection" card), then play the "is that the best you can do, because I really like THIS gun, but I don't have THAT MUCH money." They likely paid half or less of what they're asking on almost all used guns. Use your charm and they'll come off the price, still make a profit, and you'll get a better gun.

Good luck!

Oooh yeah I love Pawn shopping. That's ware I bought the P-95 I have. The guy actually begged me to buy it . I paid a whopping $225.00 for it. Just get as many in your hand as possible. And as for the background check being $100.00 thats crazy even for Cali. .

I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

What are you wanting it for? Home defense or taking to the range?

.22 is not a self defense round. Since you eliminated semi autos and you have grip issues,38sp would be the obvious choice. Smith and Wesson airmate, chief special, body guard, model 12. Colt detective model. I have a charter arms body guard in 38 sp that I CC with reguarly. If you look at Charter Arms look for the older models made in Bridgeport Con. They first few years they did make some reliable handguns. How about 12 ga. shotgun??
Just as an example. The sound of a shell being racked gets a criminals undivided attention. your mileage may vary.

That model shotgun always hurts my wrist when I shoot it.
That's not surprising.

The pistol grip replacement for the original stock is useful only for concealment but it compromises optimal control of the riot gun. The stock those guns come with are best left on the gun unless it's absolutely necessary to replace it.

The gun is most effectively aimed when shouldered and most effectively pointed with the stock compressed tightly between the forearm and rib cage. Both positions are impossible with the pistol grip.

Best gun for an old lady with BA
04105a.jpg

Paintball marker "You Kids get off my lawn" dfut, fut,fut

What are you wanting it for? Home defense or taking to the range?

Just to have it for emergencies. Home defense I guess. Body defense. I wont be going to the range.

Forum List

Back