Best gun for an old lady with RA

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

I'd get a lightweight 5 shot .38 Smith and Wesson that fits in a purse.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
  • Banned
What did it cost you? Ive been considering a 38. Some cop in town wants to buy my 357 but I dont wanna sell it.

I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

North American Arms

If I were you, I'd get a semi-auto in the .380 range.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
  • Banned
I like that 38...but I dont like the price at all. The 22 is more within my budget. But Id rather the 38. :(

• Banned
Then again...the 22 looks pretty damn good to fit my hand and tender fingerjoints.

Then again...the 22 looks pretty damn good to fit my hand and tender fingerjoints.
The 22 doesn't have any stopping power. If you're looking to stop a person, as in a home invasion? It all depends on what you want the weapon to be able to actually do.

.22 is not a self defense round. Since you eliminated semi autos and you have grip issues,38sp would be the obvious choice. Smith and Wesson airmate, chief special, body guard, model 12. Colt detective model. I have a charter arms body guard in 38 sp that I CC with reguarly. If you look at Charter Arms look for the older models made in Bridgeport Con. They first few years they did make some reliable handguns. How about 12 ga. shotgun??
Just as an example. The sound of a shell being racked gets a criminals undivided attention. your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• $12 ga with grip.jpg
    $12 ga with grip.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 107

.22 is not a self defense round. Since you eliminated semi autos and you have grip issues,38sp would be the obvious choice. Smith and Wesson airmate, chief special, body guard, model 12. Colt detective model. I have a charter arms body guard in 38 sp that I CC with reguarly. If you look at Charter Arms look for the older models made in Bridgeport Con. They first few years they did make some reliable handguns. How about 12 ga. shotgun??
Just as an example. The sound of a shell being racked gets a criminals undivided attention. your mileage may vary.

That model shotgun always hurts my wrist when I shoot it.

That is not what a old lady needs. Personally that little keltec is a good one or if its strictly a home defense gun get some sort of small pistol cartridge carbine.

Oh and I have racked a shot gun many times around people and they did NOT start fleeing in terror.

I second Brewbrother's advice. Boedicca has a link to the model I like, the one that does NOT have an external hammer; that way it is more likely to come out of a purse or pocket without getting caught on the hammer.

All modern revolvers come with "Lawyer trigger pull", i.e. TOO HEAVY. Consider taking it to a REPUTABLE gunsmith and having the trigger pull lightened by having the action "jewelled". They take the gun apart and use a Dremel tool with jewelers rouge to smooth all the little machine marks off the moving parts on the inside of the gun, and it moves very smooth. They may put in a lighter spring on the trigger to lighten the pull. If you shot anyone with such a modified gun, the lawyers will test the gun and if it is not to factory spec, they could come after you for "intending to kill someone". You could use the RA defense that you had lost strength in your hand and needed the modification for the gun to be useful to you. Sorry to have to mention those considerations, but we live in a litigious society. A trigger job should cost around $100.

Colt and Smith and Wesson are great guns, as are Ruger.

My current carry gun is a Smith & Wesson model 442 revolver. It's a cousin of the Smith revolvers that have been mentioned by several others.

Smith & Wesson Model 442

It's small, hammerless, will take a .38 Special +P round, and points very naturally, even for someone with small hands like myself. It does need to have action work done on it out of the box. I'm also not a huge fan of the stock sights, and am hoping to get something done to the front sight on my this summer. Unfortunately that requires removing the front sight entirely, since it's integral with the barrel.

Whatever you get, take it to the range regularly. Learn to shoot it WELL. Learn to reload it quickly and efficiently. Learn how to draw it quickly and efficiently from whatever carry position you prefer, as well.

The sound of a shell being racked gets a criminals undivided attention.
Yeah, it tells them to start shooting now and what direction to shoot at.

Unless they are carrying a rifle or a TT33 they won't have much of a chance of shooting through a wall. So the sound of a shell being racked would be a deterent. BTW, it was merely a suggestion. As were the other wheel guns in .38 I suggested.

All of that is respective.

Here ya go:

Minigun_1.JPG

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbL4PwTDsQ]YouTube - TERMINATOR 2 MiniGun[/ame]

Forum List

Back