Best gun for an old lady with RA

Hell a Glock is difficult to conceal when you're wearing a parka. Might as well carry a friggin' Desert Eagle. :lol:

Yeah, but the women are always happy to see me. :cool:

(Actually, it's not so bad since I'm pretty skinny.)

:lol:
I'm not a Glock fan. Not because they're bad sidearms, I just can't stand the ergonomics. For me it's like holding a 2 x 4 nailed to a mouse trap and I'm a big guy with very large paws.
(Yes ladies, the size of as man's hands does determine the size of..... well you get the drift......) :eusa_whistle: :cool:
Big hands and big feet - you know what that means, right?

Big gloves and big shoes!

Yeah, but the women are always happy to see me. :cool:

(Actually, it's not so bad since I'm pretty skinny.)

:lol:
I'm not a Glock fan. Not because they're bad sidearms, I just can't stand the ergonomics. For me it's like holding a 2 x 4 nailed to a mouse trap and I'm a big guy with very large paws.
(Yes ladies, the size of as man's hands does determine the size of..... well you get the drift......) :eusa_whistle: :cool:
Big hands and big feet - you know what that means, right?

Big gloves and big shoes!

No shit......... and shoes are a bitch!! I wear a 10 1/2 EEEE plus my calf is almost 18" in circumference. I pulled 2 weeks of Color Guard while in boot. I would stand on a desk in the barracks while two guys cursed and swore trying to get the laces on the spats to close up. They were so happy when my stint was over. :lol:

If Grace's heart is set on a revolver, I'd say that's an excellent choice.
I believe that link is for the laser sight, not the actual gun.

I had to go back and look, I think you're right. That's pretty damned expensive for a laser grip!!
It's $231.40 on Amazon, with a better description.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Crimson-Trace-Lasergrip-Ruger-Black/dp/B00271ERVI/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1303882562&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: Crimson Trace Lasergrip for Ruger Lcr, Black: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

The ISSC MK22

1%20ISSC%20MSR%20MK22%2022LR%20HV%201-1499XQ.JPG

A semi-auto Austrian made version of the FN SCAR chambered in 22LR for around $500.
I'm seriously considering getting one.

Most of the time I carry a Heritage Arms .22lr/.22 mag single action revolver.

I bought one with a 6.5 inch barrel to carry while hunting, hiking, fishing and canoeing...something that if it was lost with a capsized canoe wouldn't be much financial loss and I wouldn't worry about dragging through the mud or falling in the water with.

I picked it up on sale at Bass Pro for $100.

I ended up liking it so much, I bought another with a 3.75 inch barrel for $160 to carry both open and concealed.

They both came with a .22lr and a .22mag cylinder.

I use the .22lr cylinder at the range and the .22mag cylinder when I carry them.

Sure, there's a downside to carrying a single action, but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

Cons:

• against an attacker armed with a firearm, you are at a distinct disadvantage...but IMO, if you are taken by surprise by an armed opponent, your disadvantage is nearly impossible to overcome regardless of the weapon you carry.
  • not nearly as fast as a double action
  • impossible to reload in a hurry.

Pros:

• has the absolute lowest possibility of accidental discharge,
  • if it's taken from you by an attacker chances are excellent they will simply try to pull the trigger being unfamiliar with a single action, giving you time to attack or flee.
  • If it is stolen (i.e. from your vehicle while you enter an area where weapons are not allowed) it is almost useless as an offensive weapon and you are not out a lot of money.
  • With a little practice you can put 6 rounds in an attacker at 5 yards Old West Style as fast as a double action.
  • I've put at least 10,000 rounds down range and both are still extremely accurate...consistent 10 ring at 30 feet for the 6 inch, 18 feet for the 4 inch.
  • For defense, IMO it is a great weapon, cheap, dependable, safer
There are probably a lot more, but these are the ones that were foremost in my mind when I choose it as my primary carry weapon.

87905.jpg

^ 6.5 inch Rough Rider (Picture from Bud's Guns)

DisplayPic.aspx

^3.75 inch Rough Rider with Bird-head grip (picture from Midwest Hunters Outlet)

Last edited:
The ISSC MK22

A semi-auto Austrian made version of the FN SCAR chambered in 22LR for around $500.

Don't like the Ruger 10/22? Same result...$300 cheaper out of the box and American Made :thup:

Plus a lot of upgrades out there for the 10/22.

Picture004-1.jpg

^ I love mine, drives tacks at 100 yards. Bought this one second hand already upgraded for $350.

Last edited:
The ISSC MK22

Don't like the Ruger 10/22? Same result...$300 cheaper out of the box and American Made :thup:

Picture004-1.jpg

^ I love mine, drives tacks at 100 yards. Bought this one second hand already upgraded for $350.

I like the 10/22 but in this configuration which would double the price of the rifle.

Nordic_AR22-022-Cropped.jpg

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31348

22 Magnum round, around $300 and don't let the small dick compensators neigh say the smaller caliber, ballistics show it packs a punch.

MVC-263F.jpg
You're right. .22 magnum (hollow point) is a wicked little bullet to take in the belly or the face. It definitely will give an attacker pause.

Here is another nice little personal defense version. It's a HighStandard, 2 shot derringer with a holster that enables it to be carried in a back pocket like a wallet for absolute concealment and convenient carry.

GunwHolster.jpg

GunAlone.jpg

I posted this earlier in the thread:

North American Arms - NAA .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver

The ISSC MK22

Picture004-1.jpg

I like the 10/22 but in this configuration which would double the price of the rifle.

True, but you are getting a Tactical Solutions precision aluminum barrel (Tacticalsol.com) for the same price as the ISSC MK22.

Ruger 10/22 out of the box $190

Upgraded TAPCO stock $84 plus shipping from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Ruger-System-Bottom/dp/B0030V7T6O/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5"]Amazon.com[/ame] made in the USA.

31q%2BTkjQQ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tactical Solutions X-Ring aluminum target barrel from Midwest Gun Works for $176 made in the USA.

1022_bbl_purple.jpg

Sell the old barrel and stock for (conservatively) $60.

Equals $390 + optics for a new custom 10/22 :thup:

SANY0015.jpg

^ Found this image online: TAPCO stock 10/22 with muzzle brake but no target barrel

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
What did it cost you? Ive been considering a 38. Some cop in town wants to buy my 357 but I dont wanna sell it.

You should be able to shoot .38's out of your Smith and Wesson .357. Cheaper, less or little kick. .22's aren't really big on stopping power in relation to self defense.

Most of the time I carry a Heritage Arms .22lr/.22 mag single action revolver.

I bought one with a 6.5 inch barrel to carry while hunting, hiking, fishing and canoeing...something that if it was lost with a capsized canoe wouldn't be much financial loss and I wouldn't worry about dragging through the mud or falling in the water with.

I picked it up on sale at Bass Pro for $100.

I ended up liking it so much, I bought another with a 3.75 inch barrel for $160 to carry both open and concealed.

They both came with a .22lr and a .22mag cylinder.

I use the .22lr cylinder at the range and the .22mag cylinder when I carry them.

Sure, there's a downside to carrying a single action, but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons.

Cons:

• against an attacker armed with a firearm, you are at a distinct disadvantage...but IMO, if you are taken by surprise by an armed opponent, your disadvantage is nearly impossible to overcome regardless of the weapon you carry.
  • not nearly as fast as a double action
  • impossible to reload in a hurry.

Pros:

• has the absolute lowest possibility of accidental discharge,
  • if it's taken from you by an attacker chances are excellent they will simply try to pull the trigger being unfamiliar with a single action, giving you time to attack or flee.
  • If it is stolen (i.e. from your vehicle while you enter an area where weapons are not allowed) it is almost useless as an offensive weapon and you are not out a lot of money.
  • With a little practice you can put 6 rounds in an attacker at 5 yards Old West Style as fast as a double action.
  • I've put at least 10,000 rounds down range and both are still extremely accurate...consistent 10 ring at 30 feet for the 6 inch, 18 feet for the 4 inch.
  • For defense, IMO it is a great weapon, cheap, dependable, safer
There are probably a lot more, but these are the ones that were foremost in my mind when I choose it as my primary carry weapon.

87905.jpg

^ 6.5 inch Rough Rider (Picture from Bud's Guns)

DisplayPic.aspx

^3.75 inch Rough Rider with Bird-head grip (picture from Midwest Hunters Outlet)

I forgot to add that I only use Speer Ammo Gold Dot .22WMR (magnum) Personal Protection Ammunition.

22_win_mag.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

True, but you are getting a Tactical Solutions precision aluminum barrel (Tacticalsol.com) for the same price as the ISSC MK22.

Ruger 10/22 out of the box $190

Upgraded TAPCO stock $84 plus shipping from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Ruger-System-Bottom/dp/B0030V7T6O/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5"]Amazon.com[/ame] made in the USA.

31q%2BTkjQQ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tactical Solutions X-Ring aluminum target barrel from Midwest Gun Works for $176 made in the USA.

1022_bbl_purple.jpg

Sell the old barrel and stock for (conservatively) $60.

Equals $390 + optics for a new custom 10/22 :thup:

SANY0015.jpg

^ Found this image online: TAPCO stock 10/22 with muzzle brake but no target barrel

Just something to think about.

I don't like the Tapco stocks, I prefer the AK variant.

Last edited:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31348

22 Magnum round, around $300 and don't let the small dick compensators neigh say the smaller caliber, ballistics show it packs a punch.

MVC-263F.jpg

:cool: Nice.

Need a little longer barrel tho.

EDIT - It's available with a four inch barrel. This might be replacing my SA .22 WMR six-shooter.

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of people want to poo poo the smaller calibers. The funniest thing I always hear is "all I need is one shot to stop an attacker". They obviously don't know about or practice for speed, accuracy and firing at moving targets that might be firing back. Lower recoil equates to reacquisition of sight picture much faster, especially from behind cover or on the move. They've never been in a live combat situation.
(Typical news story - 5 police officers involved with gunbattle with crazed gunman. 100 rounds fired, suspect hit once, grazed in the leg). :lol:
The other is "you can't stop anyone with a small caliber round" but when I challenge them to put their money where their mouth is and stand downrange in the line of fire they always decline my offer. Uuummmmmm..... :lol:

I just bought a 12 gauge remington shotgun for 250 bucks from my ex BIL. Was it a good deal?

I want a gun. I have one....357 magnum. Revolver. But I want another one. Not with a clip cuz i hear they jam a lot? Nothing huge. Something smallish. 22 is ok cuz I have ammo for it.
So what is the best gun to get that isnt too expensive? Middle range in price. Reliable. Easy to handle, not huge.

What are you wanting it for? Home defense or taking to the range?

Just to have it for emergencies. Home defense I guess. Body defense. I wont be going to the range.

Grace, purchasing a weapon is a very personal thing. People can give you advice, but only you can/ will make the ultimate decision. Keep in mind that a handgun is the hardest weapon to learn how to shoot effectively with out consistent practice. You can't leave one locked in your gun cabinet, take it out and expect to be accurate. With a handgun you must develop a consistent grip and trigger pull with a grip that fits you. Even if you get a good sight picture a poor trigger pull will still pull you off target.

Try this exercise with the .357 that you have. First clear the weapon. Then get a good grip bring it up to acquire a selected target with both eyes open. If you haven't done a lot of handgun shooting you'll find that your sights are right, left, high, low. Put the weapon down and try this again. You'll find that your sights are pointing in a different area. What happened? Your grip changed. That translates into consistent inaccuracy. Only practice, and lots of it will correct this anomaly. After much practice you should be able to bring the weapon up eyes closed, and when you open your eyes you will be near an acceptable sight picture. Only range time will cure trigger pull, and breathing issues.

In a home defense situation the action will come fast, personal, and very close. That is a situation where a shotgun will rule supreme. But even with this weapon you must practice to be competent. So the range is never out of the equation. Last, in any home defense situation never bring a weapon in to play that you aren't willing to use. If you freeze, and the perp takes it away from you there could be catastrophic consequences for you to pay.

If you're just going to get something to plink with then the 22 is a great choice. Whether you select a wheel gun or a semiautomatic you'll have a very comfortable, affordable gun to shoot. This means that you'll shoot it more, and the lessons learned could be transferred to your .357. By affordable I mean in the cost of ammo. I have a S&W M-18 4". Used these little K22's can top $500.00. The important thing to remember here is that good guns cost a lot, and lesser guns cost a lot less. Good guns will last a lifetime, lesser guns wont.

Since you already have a .357 mag revolver you can still shoot .38 .38 spcl, and .38+P in it. So I would question the need for a .38. Another thing to consider with a light hand gun is the fact that recoil can be substantial. Taking that into consideration the extra heft of your .357 could be beneficial when your shooting .38 in it.

I hope that this helps. Good luck and straight shooting. :up:

Forum List

Back