Best childhood memories

I was the peacemaker of my family, of sorts. I would cover for my brother and sisters if I thought that their punishment would not fit their crime. But I was also the one who kept my younger brother in line, I never covered for him, he never got the just punishment for his crimes, so I meated it out myself :eusa_angel:

And here I thought Pixies were always cute and innocent.......

They still come to me for protection :lol: I didn't kill him or nothin like that, :lol: I would just pop him in the mouth or break one of his favorite toys after he broke one of my sisters dolls. What came around went around kind of thing. Mom always protected him

I did almost kill him once, accidentally .He was sitting on a large propane tank, and one of the neighbor kids dared me to pull him off, so I did :lol: :eek: :lol:

Mom put me to bed with no dinner :(

I you were smart, you planned the nights you got put to bed without dinner so they coincided with the nights she made liver & onions, or some other such monstrosity.

A couple: One day in the middle of the winter (of 1950) my best friend and I, both of us then about 9 years old, went seeking a Saturday morning adventure. We had gone about 2 miles through the fields to one of the quarry holes which are common around our town. This particular quarry-hole, about an acre in size and very deep, was covered with a sheet of ice. It was very cold that day, so we were expecting there would be ice we could slide around on, and maybe see some of the giant gold-fish we knew were there through the ice below.

My friend, Mike, went out on the ice on the south side which was shaded from the sun and then began walking across to the stone shelf I was standing on on the far side. When he got only about six feet from where I was he broke through the ice where the heat of the sun was reflected off the north wall.

Together we were able to break the ice between him and the rock where I was standing, and I was able to help him climb out.

The moment when we were both standing safely on the shelf was about as good as it can get.

We were a long way from home and it was very cold, but we ran all the way, with the images of what would happen when we got to his house and his mom found out about how foolish we had both been. Needless to say, Mike was forbidden from going to the quarries for years after that.

The second was the first time I rode a full sized horse.

Last edited:
A bump for those who are relatively new to the forum. I hope some of you would share some of your fondest memories of your childhood. :)

My best childhood memory ever, was the time my Mom won a 10ft stocking full of toys for Christmas, it was delivered on Christmas Eve

10" stocking full of great toys was really a big deal when you are such a little one

That was sooo great :happy-1: My Dad even smiled :cool:

She also won a second one to donate to her favorite charity. :cool:

Being knee deep in the flats with a cast net and a bucket full of shrimp, and a coffee can to boil them in. And looking forward to gigging flounder that same night. Good stuff.

When my brothers and I were little we were all taken shopping for school uniforms. After that we went further into town to get fitted for a new pair of shoes each. Those were the days when one pair of proper shoes were all you were expected to need for the year. When we got home our mother told us that she'd paid good money for those shoes and that we were to take good care of them.

About a week after the new term had started, we were all walking home from school. On the way back we passed the river where we saw a load of oil drums had washed up from somewhere upstream. We ran to a friends house to fetch some rope and wood. We lashed the battens together to make a frame, which we then lashed to the oil drums to make a raft. After boarding the haphazard craft, the whole thing capsised, sending us all into the water, shoes an' all.

We emerged covered in silt with sodden shoes. We all knew of the potential consequences. We needed a solution, fast. My brothers and I headed home with a plan. We stuffed our clothes in the garden shed, ran into the kitchen in our underwear (our parents normally returned home from work 3 hours after us) and put our soaked shoes inthe oven to dry them out. We then went upstairs to wash the stinking river mud from our hair.

After half an hour had passed, we were reminded of our shoes by the smell of buring. We opened the oven to find our shrivelled, steaming shoes, ruined beyond repair. We tried in vain to rid the kitchen of the smell, but our parentsreturned before we could get rid of the smell of burnt leather. Our mother came into the kitchen and demanded to know why we were in our underwear and why she could smell burning. My youngest gave the game away and burst into tears. My mother marched us into the living room to tell our father what we'd done. We expected a summary hiding. My father (and my uncle, who was present) listened to what had happened. My mother then brought in the oven tray that contained three pairs of crispy shoes. My father couldn't contain himself any longer. He and my uncle laughed themselves into the night. Between laughing and wiping his eyes he took what money he had in his jacket pocket and told her to simply buy us another pair of shoes. My mother, dumbfounded, quietly took us to get new shoes, leaving the unabated male laughter in her wake. Now that's male solidarity.

Many years later when we'd all grown up our mother revealed in conversation that she'd kept all of the teeth we'd left under our pillows for the tooth fairy. My father rather bluntly replied: never mind the bloody tooth fairy, I've still got the shoes they cooked! And he had. He'd kept them in a cupboard in his study for whenever he needed cheering up.

When I was about 4 years old my father magically took toys OUT OF THE WALLS OF OUR HOUSE.

I was stunned to discover that he had that magical power.

He was no doubt pleased that he'd so pleased his young innocent son with this little palming magic.

UNTIL? ->-> young editec decided to take a clawhammer to the walls to get at the bounty of toys that I couldn't magically get to pass through those walls like my oh so clever father.

Boy oh boy! Was my dad pleased with my inititive that day!

Coming back from school... watching Kenan and Kel... going to Mosque to read Quran...Playing knock down ginger walking back home after Mosque...Staying up late to watch wrestling. Which boys on here owned a buzz lightyear or action man or collected remote control cars?

Forum List

Back