Best Band Ever? Any genre...

founders of rock and roll
Didn't see anyone post that. They were original and versatile. Probably still have more influence on music than any other band before or since.
The most talented member was George Harrison. (IMO)
No one can argue they did good stuff, and were of course influential. But the most influential of all time? No.
No single band is. Because there are too many styles that any one band could make that claim.
Personally, not a huge fan of Beatles myself, but would be ignorant to say they are not among the highest echelon. Of course.
But I take issue with folks who say no one is as influential as Beatles, or better than Beatles. That is ridiculous.
There are a line of super influential bands, individuals.
Take Elvis Presley. Go ahead and read what MCartney says about Elvis. The first time he heard Elvis in high school he attributes that moment to why he devoted himself to music.
Or Jimi Hendrix. Untold bands of the 70s - 80s attribute their styles and play from Hendrix.
Eric Clapton, Little Richie, Jackson Browne and on.
There is no one best band of all time. And it is absurd to think there is.
Your free to have your own opinion on who is the best, but that is just one persons opinion.
No. Paul McCartney. Not fashionable I'm sure He wrote virtually all the hits under the McCartney/Lennon label and sang most of them.

True story: McCartney conceived Hey Jude after visiting Lennon's sad son, Jules. He probably spent more time with Jules than Lennon. The song was supposed to be Hey Jules, but Lennon objected thinking it was too personal.

Lennon's preference for his second son with Yoko was that he was planned, "not out of a bottle".

No doubt Lennon had a lot of influence on the music which accounts for the shit like Band on the Run that McCartney composed after the break up.

Harrison was the most likable Beatle and he had some good songs, but McCartney was the most important. I am a bit of a Beatleologist.

Didn't see anyone post that. They were original and versatile. Probably still have more influence on music than any other band before or since.
No one can argue they did good stuff, and were of course influential. But the most influential of all time? No.
No single band is. Because there are too many styles that any one band could make that claim.
Personally, not a huge fan of Beatles myself, but would be ignorant to say they are not among the highest echelon. Of course.
But I take issue with folks who say no one is as influential as Beatles, or better than Beatles. That is ridiculous.
Take Elvis Presley. Go ahead and read what MCartney says about Elvis. The first time he heard Elvis in high school he attributes that moment to why he devoted himself to music.
Or Jimi Hendrix. Untold bands of the 70s - 80s attribute their styles and play from Hendrix.
Your free to have your own opinion on who is the best, but that is just one persons opinion.
No. Paul McCartney. Not fashionable I'm sure He wrote virtually all the hits under the McCartney/Lennon label and sang most of them.

True story: McCartney conceived Hey Jude after visiting Lennon's sad son, Jules. He probably spent more time with Jules than Lennon. The song was supposed to be Hey Jules, but Lennon objected thinking it was too personal.

Lennon's preference for his second son with Yoko was that he was planned, "not out of a bottle".

No doubt Lennon had a lot of influence on the music which accounts for the shit like Band on the Run that McCartney composed after the break up.

Harrison was the most likable Beatle and he had some good songs, but McCartney was the most important. I am a bit of a Beatleologist.
Yeah but you have to be honest and say a good deal of Paul's songs were sappy-drippy pop songs. Personally I would say perhaps only 10% of whet he wrote was truly good songs among the 100's he recorded. And then he did some truly awful songs, so bad it is hard to believe it was even recorded. He pretty much threw everything at the wall to see what stuck. A lot of them did. Some of the songs with the Wings was just album fillers. Crap songs.
For me, Harrison cared more. A greater percentage of what he recorded was good. Not just a huuuge collection of whatever he thought of like Paul. Lennon was eccentric. So his stuff has moments of brilliance, accompanied by...WTF was that?? And then Ringo of course had Photograph... but besides that... meh.

if there were a band to be picked for its contribution to ' rock ' & expanding out from there, & to be put in a time capsule - not to be opened for 100+ yrs from now ... it would be
the beatles.

hands down.

& then i would say elvis for a single human to fill that role.

Yeah but you have to be honest and say a good deal of Paul's songs were sappy-drippy pop songs. Personally I would say perhaps only 10% of whet he wrote was truly good songs among the 100's he recorded. And then he did some truly awful songs, so bad it is hard to believe it was even recorded. He pretty much threw everything at the wall to see what stuck. A lot of them did. Some of the songs with the Wings was just album fillers. Crap songs.
For me, Harrison cared more. A greater percentage of what he recorded was good. Not just a huuuge collection of whatever he thought of like Paul. Lennon was eccentric. So his stuff has moments of brilliance, accompanied by...WTF was that?? And then Ringo of course had Photograph... but besides that... meh.

^ ' And then Ringo of course had Photograph... but besides that... meh. '

very good tune.

very good tune.

Ahh... but could he have done it without Harrison?

In honor of the OP's Metallica pick....great band for many decades now...still going strong.

James Hetfield has a really fine voice when he's not doing the demon-voice thing.

Indeed you're right MM. I have much greater respect for vocalists who clearly show they've "earned the right" to scream out in emotional fury lol There are many rock leads who have great voices but like going extreme as well to incite their rocker fans. Of course, there are those who well...they should just stick to yelling and blasting out their vocal cords before the age of 35 I'm afraid. It's happened to many a good singer too, vocal injuries lasting long-term. A known risk in the field I guess, particularly with hard rock singers.

very good tune.

ok, you got me there.

ever hear billy preston's cover of my sweet lord when they did a GH tribute?

Beatles... monster musicians from right out if the gate in 1962 all the way to one of the best albums - the last, Abby Road 1970.
But not to forget, there was another band on their heels... The Rolling Stones in 1964. Also giants. And also very influential.
But a lot more hit/miss than the Beatles. IMO - the Stones has 3 solid albums, 1 pretty good... all else is dust collectors.
Also Jimi Hendrix, who liked some of the Beatles, but at the same time McCartney was mesmerized by Hendrix. Paul after hearing him went out and bought a new electric guitar and inspired him in Taxman and Paperback writer.
Kind of my point, these guys played off of each other. Inspired each other.

very good tune.

ok, you got me there.

One awesome song for sure...and well done.

very good tune.

ok, you got me there.

Another awesome and awe-inspiring version:

Metallica has the most talent...hands down. But I'm a man of all genres...love classical when the mood is right...but best band ever? Led Zep was great...can't stand the Stones...way too many to name to really narrow it down to one.
  1. Beatles
  2. Dylan
  3. Stones
  4. Doors
  5. Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Crosby Stills Nash Young, etc.

1619731880549.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

The Godz.
I'm gonna burn right up like a two dollar pistol
rocket shot through the sun
I'm alive and I'm a jiving I'm a passing you by
I can't stop for anyone
I gotta live my life can't stop for you

Gotta keep a runnin' gotta keep a runnin'
goodbye baby I'm a leaving you

Gotta keep a runnin' gotta keep a runnin':71: