Ben Stein On 'Fox & Friends': 'Taxes Are Too Low'

Leave taxes alone.
CUT SPENDING!!!!!

It's not only Ben Stein who's saying this:

Economists' surprising election-year request: Raise taxes, please!
In a survey of economists who work mostly for banks and businesses, a majority said some additional tax revenue is needed, along with spending cuts, to reduce the federal budget deficit.
Economists' surprising election-year request: Raise taxes, please! - CSMonitor.com

But we still have some here that believe that only the middle class and poor should shoulder the weight of lowering the deficit.
No one is really serious about lowering the deficit if they aren't asking everyone of all economic classes to sacrifice.

Good stuff.

The biggest growth and prosperity we've ever had in this country was from roughly 1941 to 1973... and those were years of much higher taxes than we have now.

-Ben Stein

Would you trust the governments of today with more of your money just because the governments of yesteryears and the times gone by were allegedly the "biggest growth and prosperity we've ever had in this country"?

Ben Stein is a bright guy. His commentary is worthy of noting, especially since he knows a thing or two about economics. In reality the President can do little to spur or curb economic activity, but controlling a crushing budget deficit is something that the President, in conjunction with a cooperative legislative branch, can do. I think a positive gain from Mr. Stein's commentary is the simple fact that you can't justify low taxes and runaway spending any more than a family can justify maxing out credit cards while putting almost none of their monthly income toward paying them off.

Here is where the trouble comes in. Republicans are every bit as responsible for the massive deficit as Democrats. The military activity of the last 10 years has added tremendous amounts to our national budget. It's not just entitlement programs, stimulus packages, and bailouts, although that's part of the problem too. However, it is troubling that $5 billion spent on the bailout of the auto industry is criticized much more than the $6.2 million it takes to build a single aircraft carrier, and the government does that like clockwork every 3-5 years.

Whether you think the Iraq War was 100% justified or a dismal failure, it cost us a fucking fortune. It is no coincidence that the four highest spikes in budget deficit over GDP in the history of the U.S. were during the Civil War, WWI, WWII, and now. The period of the Great Depression is behind all of them at #5. War costs, and it costs a lot. It always has.

I am not an advocate of higher taxes, as I am a Republican who believes in sound fiscal responsibility. However, we don't have it now, and both parties are to blame. You can't justify lowering taxes when spending is out of control. Any family who has ever declared bankruptcy from too much credit will tell you that.

Anyway, I didn't watch the video, and if Ben Stein advocated raising taxes and glossed over spending control, then that was a missed opportunity to make a good point into a great one, because, as some in this thread have pointed out, I'm not so willing to pay more taxes if the spending is still out of control.

Last edited:
expunge all the non-believers and purify the party in the hopes of never getting elected again!

Where have I heard that before?

Nazi_Rally_Buckeberg.jpg

Ben Stein is a bright guy. His commentary is worthy of noting, especially since he knows a thing or two about economics. In reality the President can do little to spur or curb economic activity, but controlling a crushing budget deficit is something that the President, in conjunction with a cooperative legislative branch, can do. I think a positive gain from Mr. Stein's commentary is the simple fact that you can't justify low taxes and runaway spending any more than a family can justify maxing out credit cards while putting almost none of their monthly income toward paying them off.

Here is where the trouble comes in. Republicans are every bit as responsible for the massive deficit as Democrats. The military activity of the last 10 years has added tremendous amounts to our national budget. It's not just entitlement programs, stimulus packages, and bailouts, although that's part of the problem too. However, it is troubling that $5 billion spent on the bailout of the auto industry is criticized much more than the $6.2 million it takes to build a single aircraft carrier, and the government does that like clockwork every 3-5 years.

Whether you think the Iraq War was 100% justified or a dismal failure, it cost us a fucking fortune. It is no coincidence that the four highest spikes in budget deficit over GDP in the history of the U.S. were during the Civil War, WWI, WWII, and now. The period of the Great Depression is behind all of them at #5. War costs, and it costs a lot. It always has.

I am not an advocate of higher taxes, as I am a Republican who believes in sound fiscal responsibility. However, we don't have it now, and both parties are to blame. You can't justify lowering taxes when spending is out of control. Any family who has ever declared bankruptcy from too much credit will tell you that.

Anyway, I didn't watch the video, and if Ben Stein advocated raising taxes and glossed over spending control, then that was a missed opportunity to make a good point into a great one, because, as some in this thread have pointed out, I'm not so willing to pay more taxes if the spending is still out of control.

Mostly a good post, but Ben did not "gloss over spending control". He simply stated that both taxation and spending control were needed.

The surprise was that he advocated higher taxation at all.

Mostly a good post, but Ben did not "gloss over spending control". He simply stated that both taxation and spending control were needed.

The surprise was that he advocated higher taxation at all.

Right. I just saw some commentary suggesting it, but I didn't know for sure, hence why I said "if." Anyway, I think the notion of "raising" or "lowering" taxes is all that most people really hear. "Appropriate" taxation, along with some badly needed spending control, is what is in order.

Right. I just saw some commentary suggesting it, but I didn't know for sure, hence why I said "if." Anyway, I think the notion of "raising" or "lowering" taxes is all that most people really hear. "Appropriate" taxation, along with some badly needed spending control, is what is in order.

Agreed.

Both are needed.

Did Ben Stein have a stroke or something? I say that because of the way he's speaking, but other reasons too I guess.

But anyway, Ben Stein is saying the same shit we've been saying for years. Raise taxes on the rich, we'll be okay and very prosperous.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back