Beekeeping and chickens

Any advice?
Get some of the chickens that lay blue and pink and green eggs. The woman I buy my eggs from has some chickens that do. It's pretty festive.

Araucanas......

Blue-Green-Dark-brown-eggs.jpg

~S~

Cage the bees where the chickens cannot get to them. If you don't the chickens may make a meal out of your bees.

Chickens be illegal in my city and bee keeping is all but technically illegal due to the ridiculous set back requirements that would require you to have a lot of acreage before you could have a hive.

I was a beekeeper for many years. Even worked them commercially in Florida one winter. Keeping them alive is a lot harder now than it used to be due to mites and pesticides. That's the main reason I no longer have them. But the few beekeepers I still know are getting amazing harvests which I attribute to the demise of feral honeybees.

Good luck with this adventure. And don't be too concerned about the stings, they claim that it helps arthritis!

My ducks and the hens I raised as pullets kept laying even when the temps were below zero recently. The ducks are easy keepers too.

I don't have bees since #2 son is anaphylactic and I figure I'm pushing my luck just having a few fruit trees and garden. As for chickens, they are easy enough keepers and only take a few minutes, twice a day. Let them out & check their food & water supply & gather the eggs....then shut them up at night. I don't bother keeping the chickens clean, they do that themselves with dust baths (scratching & rolling around in the dirt)…...but the eggs OTOH is a different story. Since a chicken only has one exit hole, those eggs can sometimes get poopy. Just wipe em clean with a damp paper towel.

Chickens be illegal in my city and bee keeping is all but technically illegal due to the ridiculous set back requirements that would require you to have a lot of acreage before you could have a hive.
A few years back after tasting fresh from the nest free range chicken eggs for the first time in my life, I was delightfully surprised at how much more flavorful they were than the eggs I get from the grocery store.

So I checked out the chicken laws in my city. I can keep up to 6 hens but roosters are outlawed.

New Topics

Forum List

Back