Beekeeping and chickens

Any advice?

Yes, don't do it. :)
It's very hard work to keep any fowl clean.
Every bee keeper around here does enjoy bee keeping, but is also hard work and they always are getting stung.
You definitely will get your share of stings. If you are not used to getting stung much, remember some people build up a tolerance and does not seem to bother, others (like me) become hyper sensitive after severe stinging attack, to the point just one or two stings drops your blood pressure and you drop like a rock.

we keep both....the bees are the hardest....i have already placed my order with two companies for new queens in hopes of getting queens....as the south warms the threat of killer bees moving in to the bee queen raising area is scarey

btw 4 queens...140 bucks or so

Chickens be illegal in my city and bee keeping is all but technically illegal due to the ridiculous set back requirements that would require you to have a lot of acreage before you could have a hive.
A few years back after tasting fresh from the nest free range chicken eggs for the first time in my life, I was delightfully surprised at how much more flavorful they were than the eggs I get from the grocery store.

So I checked out the chicken laws in my city. I can keep up to 6 hens but roosters are outlawed.

I buy fresh non refrigerated eggs whenever I can. I agree they are better. The yolks tend to be much richer. Not having roosters is actually a good thing. It means the eggs won't be fertilized so you can safely go a little longer between gathering them and still have usable eggs.

we keep both....the bees are the hardest....i have already placed my order with two companies for new queens in hopes of getting queens....as the south warms the threat of killer bees moving in to the bee queen raising area is scarey

btw 4 queens...140 bucks or so[/QUOTE

$35 a piece? Wow.

Do you know if anyone is still producing hybrid bees? Dadant used to back in the day. When I was working for a commercial operator, I roomed with a guy who's job was to collect bee semen for instrumental insemination of hybrid queens. He said that all he had to do was rub them on their belling and they'd pop in no time.

35 is the standard price for queens...then 5 bucks for marking them....and then shipping....we are trying a new bee

saskatraz we are on a waiting list ....since we get queens in april we are the last run kinda

last order of chickens......i always do pullets only...i had two damn roosters....i rehome them

ducks only exist to make chickens look smart...ducks are the nastiest little things

Any advice?
Have you already gotten the chickens and bees?
no. Need to retire/move first.

Look into BYC---Back Yard Chickens forum. There are a bazillion members with as many ideas on how to raise them. So you have to filter thru it all & figure out what works best for you & your situation.

So first thing for you to do, before you get into it......is to figure out what your plan is. Do you just want a few hens for eggs for yourself & family? Do you want to sell eggs & need a bigger flock? Do you want them for meat? Do you plan to buy new replacement birds? Or do you want them to naturally reproduce with a rooster? Do you want to incubate the eggs & brood the chicks? Or have the hens do the work for you? What breed(s) are best suited for your needs? etc, etc, etc.

Lots to think about so do your research long before you get birds, so you atleast have a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. Then once you have birds, they'll educate you even further by trial & error.

Any advice?
There are typically state groups that hand out information on both. If you are in south carolina there are bee keeping classes at Turtle island preserves. What state are you in ? If I know this I can sned you links to info in your area.

It was unseasonably warm today. The neighbor has 3 hives. I was chatting with him as he fed them with some sugar water in straw. We were right next to the hive, bees were swarming happily. It was my highlight of the weekend.

I'm alergiack but still like honey
Who doesn't like bee puke?
Kidding...
I am also allergic... Found out the hard way, damn near killed me.. Now epi-pens have to be real close by.

Damn epi pens such a ripoff too. I'm told if they are still clear they are still good.
I was out and about, in Minnesota a couple of years ago, and failed to pack an epi pen. Got to the twin cities and thought I'd pop into a local pharmacy.... Yeah no.
To buy one was over 125 dollars... And from what I understand now, that was "cheap"
Glad I have the coverage I do... Manages to defer the cost immensely.

Kidding...
I am also allergic... Found out the hard way, damn near killed me.. Now epi-pens have to be real close by.

Damn epi pens such a ripoff too. I'm told if they are still clear they are still good.
I was out and about, in Minnesota a couple of years ago, and failed to pack an epi pen. Got to the twin cities and thought I'd pop into a local pharmacy.... Yeah no.
To buy one was over 125 dollars... And from what I understand now, that was "cheap"

Lucky to find one at that price! VA gave me my last and haven't been there in 10 years.

Kidding...

Lucky to find one at that price! VA gave me my last and haven't been there in 10 years.
VA is where I get mine now... From time to time the will ask that I bring the old ones in, but more often then not they tell me to dispose of them...

Dude, all bs aside, get back to va and get them to give you new, updated epi pens... They are probably the best deal in town right now. The ones I just received have an indicator as to their viability, and if it goes bad I just exchange it. Not worth losing your life over an allergy... Especially when it's readily available.
I hope you do and they help you out.

Forum List

Back