Be honest... do you answer your phone if you don't recognize the number?

The reason for this question is this statistic from Fox News latest Trump/Biden poll.
Interviews were conducted July 18-20, 2020 among a random sample of 756 Michigan voters
contacted on landlines (198) and cellphones (558).
So how many of you truly answer your phone if you don't know the number?
/----/ Why do you assume we would answer your question dishonestly? How does one untruly answer the phone?
Good point and unlike most people on this board, I admit I used the wrong word. I'll try to edit. Thanks!

The reason for this question is this statistic from Fox News latest Trump/Biden poll.
Interviews were conducted July 18-20, 2020 among a random sample of 756 Michigan voters
thats possibly one of the dumbest things to do I can think of,,,

what if its the hospital calling to tell you your child or family member is dying and you need to get there quick to say goodbye???
or many other similar scenarios,,,
So you don't have voicemail on your phone evidently.

what if its the hospital calling to tell you your child or family member is dying and you need to get there quick to say goodbye???
doesnt matter if I do or not,,,

no reason to chance missing an important call because I'm a dumbfuck,,,

hahahahhahah???!!!!!!!
1. if you DON'T know the number---read the OP more slowly next time
2. ''a quick goodbye''?? hahahahah
a. if you need to get there quickly--you won't
b. too late--should've told them what you wanted before that
c. tough shit

So far it appears most of the responses are that the phone is unanswered if the number is unrecognized.

Which leads to the next question. What kind of people DO answer the phone and these pollsters?
It appears it certainly is NOT well informed people, because most savvy people are so skeptical about phone calls from
strangers, they don't even answer.

And those that do answer? One can only guess as to their real knowledgeability regarding some of the questions pollster ask.

Like these questions from the fox poll

1. How interested are you in the presidential election? Are you:
Extremely Very Somewhat Not at all (Don’t know) *
  • 18-20 Jul 20 53% 28 14 4 *
  • 18-21 Apr 20 50% 27 18 5 1
Now look at this question and results.
Tell me these are knowledge people?
Remember this is Michigan, and state election question. 23% didn't KNOW!!! 4% weren't going to VOTE!

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 9.58.32 AM.png

Finally... How can you trust ANY poll when one party outnumbers the other by nearly 10%?
Of the 756 polled, 332 were democrats... 302 GOP... 30 more Democrats or nearly 10% polled!

So consequently unlike rest of us "dumbfucks".... YOU answer your phone every time regardless?

Well you aren't alone!

According to a recent Google survey, half of respondents received at least one spam call per day, and one third received two or more per day.And people are answering those calls. More than one third of respondents worry that a call from an unknown number is a call about a loved one, and another third think it could be a call from a potential loved one, so they pick up.

Now what is interesting is WHY don't the 1/3 thinking the call is from a potential loved one have that loved one in their contacts?
So I'd discount that 1/3.
But you are in the first 1/3, i.e. thinking a call is from a loved one.
Hmmm... so you and the above 1/3 aren't technologically adroit to have voicemail?

I know if the call is important enough i.e. a loved one in an emergency, they WILL leave a voicemail and I respond to voicemails
right away. But that's just me.

I'll usually answer unless my phone says likely spam.
I get calls from all kinds of people I do want to talk to. I just got one ten minutes ago from Memorial City imaging that I needed to take.
Didnt recognize the number.
I'm just sitting here on my ass anyway so a few seconds of my time isnt that big of a deal.

So how many of you answer your phone if you don't know the number?

I do answer occasionally, but only because I'm on the "no call list" for telephone solicitation. Mostly, it's scammers calling to tell me my SIN number is about to be sued by Revenue Canada. Those calls are always entertaining. When you stay on the line, their first question is always "May I please have your name", and my response is "You're calling me from Revenue Canada and you have my SIN number and my telephone number, but you don't have my name?" At that point they usually hang up, but I have managed to keep a couple of them on the phone for 15 minutes.

Some of them are even dumb enough not to block caller ID so I then report the call and the number they called from, to the RCMP Fraud squad.

So consequently unlike rest of us "dumbfucks".... YOU answer your phone every time regardless?

Well you aren't alone!

According to a recent Google survey, half of respondents received at least one spam call per day, and one third received two or more per day.And people are answering those calls. More than one third of respondents worry that a call from an unknown number is a call about a loved one, and another third think it could be a call from a potential loved one, so they pick up.

Now what is interesting is WHY don't the 1/3 thinking the call is from a potential loved one have that loved one in their contacts?
So I'd discount that 1/3.
But you are in the first 1/3, i.e. thinking a call is from a loved one.
Hmmm... so you and the above 1/3 aren't technologically adroit to have voicemail?

I know if the call is important enough i.e. a loved one in an emergency, they WILL leave a voicemail and I respond to voicemails
right away. But that's just me.

We receive 10-20 calls a day that leave recorded sales messages, or no message.

So far it appears most of the responses are that the phone is unanswered if the number is unrecognized.

Which leads to the next question. What kind of people DO answer the phone and these pollsters?
It appears it certainly is NOT well informed people, because most savvy people are so skeptical about phone calls from
strangers, they don't even answer.

And those that do answer? One can only guess as to their real knowledgeability regarding some of the questions pollster ask.

Like these questions from the fox poll

1. How interested are you in the presidential election? Are you:
Extremely Very Somewhat Not at all (Don’t know) *
  • 18-20 Jul 20 53% 28 14 4 *
  • 18-21 Apr 20 50% 27 18 5 1
Now look at this question and results.
Tell me these are knowledge people?
Remember this is Michigan, and state election question. 23% didn't KNOW!!! 4% weren't going to VOTE!

View attachment 366729

Finally... How can you trust ANY poll when one party outnumbers the other by nearly 10%?
Of the 756 polled, 332 were democrats... 302 GOP... 30 more Democrats or nearly 10% polled!
/----/ A family member is undergoing intensive care and we get calls from unknown numbers al the time. Some are from doctors or hospital staff some are scammers. So I have to answer them all.

Forum List

Back