Baseball Player Death

22lcidw

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2018
Richie Allen passed away on December 7. He was 78. There was controversy in his career. Some of his own making and some from outside elements. Richie Allen deserved better and so did the fans. He had a good career and maybe could have had one of the greatest. Either way, I always liked him as a player and hope he in peace. Damn...he hit some monster home runs.

Richie Allen passed away on December 7. He was 78. There was controversy in his career. Some of his own making and some from outside elements. Richie Allen deserved better and so did the fans. He had a good career and maybe could have had one of the greatest. Either way, I always liked him as a player and hope he in peace. Damn...he hit some monster home runs.

There was a time that he was among the best in the game.

The press was never in his fan club and Allen did not help to ingratiate himself with the fans or the press

Dick Allen (He hated being called Richie) was the player traded to St Louis for Curt Flood.

Set up he end of the Reserve Clause and beginning of free agency.

Dick Allen (He hated being called Richie) was the player traded to St Louis for Curt Flood.

Set up he end of the Reserve Clause and beginning of free agency.
I remember him, I don't remember the details of the problems he had. I thought he started going by Dick Allen to symbolically make a "new start". RIP

The press was never in his fan club and Allen did not help to ingratiate himself with the fans or the press
He was in Triple A Baseball for the Phils in Little Rock. He was roasted by the fans in that era. It may have played a role. Why the Phils had a minor league club there was perplexing. They were owned by the Carpenter family of Delaware who were close to the DuPont's and Biden is close to them also. Allen had an altercation with a team mate in Philly who razzled him a lot in the clubhouse. Allen hit him with a bat and the team mate was released. But the team mate came off the bench and won like ten games in that year up to then. The fans started booing Allen every time he came to bat. They would cheer when he got a hit or HR or made a great play. But it became common. Personally he screwed up a few times and the Philly press was the early version of social media. By the end he was writing messages in the dirt with his cleats near first base when the Phils were on defense. Messages like Oct. 1 or Coke or others. He was traded away and then came back several years later and he and the fans made good with each other. At the time Coke by most people in 1969 may have been soda. But he was rumored to have some drug things. Anyway...RIP Dick Allen.

He was in Triple A Baseball for the Phils in Little Rock. He was roasted by the fans in that era. It may have played a role. Why the Phils had a minor league club there was perplexing. They were owned by the Carpenter family of Delaware who were close to the DuPont's and Biden is close to them also. Allen had an altercation with a team mate in Philly who razzled him a lot in the clubhouse. Allen hit him with a bat and the team mate was released. But the team mate came off the bench and won like ten games in that year up to then. The fans started booing Allen every time he came to bat. They would cheer when he got a hit or HR or made a great play. But it became common. Personally he screwed up a few times and the Philly press was the early version of social media. By the end he was writing messages in the dirt with his cleats near first base when the Phils were on defense. Messages like Oct. 1 or Coke or others. He was traded away and then came back several years later and he and the fans made good with each other. At the time Coke by most people in 1969 may have been soda. But he was rumored to have some drug things. Anyway...RIP Dick Allen.

In the 60s, Black athletes were expected to know their place. Allen had attitude and the press and fans took t out on him.
Philly booed Santa at that time, you know they would boo
Allen.

I think it was Allen who was hit by the bat from a racist teammate who was taunting him.

In the 60s, Black athletes were expected to know their place. Allen had attitude and the press and fans took t out on him.
Philly booed Santa at that time, you know they would boo
Allen.

I think it was Allen who was hit by the bat from a racist teammate who was taunting him.
One thing about Philly fans booing. At times it is taken out of context. A percentage of it is just habit no matter their personal beliefs in life. Otherwise no free agent would sign to play in that city. In the end they will remember a player through thick and thin if he tried his best. They are not forgotten.

Forum List

Back