Barack Obama says, 'The NRA used to support expanded background checks.'

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Our ruling

In his Rose Garden comments, Obama said "the NRA used to support expanded background checks." He’s correct: In congressional testimony following the Columbine High School shooting, LaPierre called it "reasonable" to conduct a background check "for every sale at every gun show. No loopholes anywhere for anyone." Subsequent statements by NRA officials acknowledge that the group’s position has since changed to opposition to more background checks. So we rate Obama’s statement True.

PolitiFact | Barack Obama says, 'The NRA used to support expanded background checks.'

They were for it before they were against it

Our ruling

In his Rose Garden comments, Obama said "the NRA used to support expanded background checks." He’s correct: In congressional testimony following the Columbine High School shooting, LaPierre called it "reasonable" to conduct a background check "for every sale at every gun show. No loopholes anywhere for anyone." Subsequent statements by NRA officials acknowledge that the group’s position has since changed to opposition to more background checks. So we rate Obama’s statement True.

PolitiFact | Barack Obama says, 'The NRA used to support expanded background checks.'

Lets see some links from the NRA showing they're against background checks.

Being a lifetime member of the NRA for over 20 years I can tell you that you will find the NRA on record being against gun registration, not background checks, unless those checks included individuals selling to relatives or giving guns as gifts etc..

Barack Obama says, 'The NRA used to support expanded background checks.'

When they were just background checks and not blatant overreaches into our 2nd Amendment rights. What part of that did they not understand?

Our ruling

Being a lifetime member of the NRA for over 20 years I can tell you that you will find the NRA on record being against gun registration, not background checks, unless those checks included individuals selling to relatives or giving guns as gifts etc..

Well they use qualifiers...They are for background checks just not "universal" background checks because they claim that universal background checks wont include criminals...apparently criminals will submit to regular old "background checks" so they are for those.

I know, it doesn't make sense but if you use enough words you can trick ppl

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/f...-sales-restrictions-and-gun-registration.aspx

Seriously, the NRA's logic on this is that Background Checks are fine but not Universal Background Checks because criminals wont submit to a UNIVERSAL Background check but will a regular one.

I mean...what? lol

Well they use qualifiers...They are for background checks just not "universal" background checks because they claim that universal background checks wont include criminals...apparently criminals will submit to regular old "background checks" so they are for those.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/f...-sales-restrictions-and-gun-registration.aspx

Just where in the link did you get this little bit of information?

Or did you just pull it out of your ass?

No backgrounds checks would have prevented what happened in places like Newtown. And Yes, universal background checks would most likely lead to gun registration. Which the NRA and I are against.

NRA-ILA | Private Sales Restrictions and Gun Registration

No backgrounds checks would have prevented what happened in places like Newtown. And Yes, universal background checks would most likely lead to gun registration. Which the NRA and I are against.

He's clueless, I dont blame him, just his mind. Closed we dont want the govt knowing who has guns, it doesnt matter, because even if they did, they wouldnt prevent anything.....because bad guys wouldnt have background checks or registered......they're called criminals for a reason. I'm sure MrMafia is just going to go into a store and buy a gun.....unreal
If you're worried about crazies, then lets put them in asylums and if they do kill people, give them the death penalty, done, they cant hurt anyone else...they're dead...

Do it swift and fast, so people see and understand the consequences...killing them 40 years after the fact doesnt work too wel....and the best part....we get JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well can you explain why they are for background checks but not universal background checks? Read the link and if you have a better hypothesis I'm all ears

Well can you explain why they are for background checks but not universal background checks? Read the link and if you have a better hypothesis I'm all ears

As it stands now background checks are universal. Ever heard of NCIC (National Crime Information Center)?

S. 374, the "universal background check" bill

Universal background check (p. 11): this applies to any firearm “transfer,” which is defined as including “a sale, gift, loan….” (p. 13). So just handing a firearm to someone else is a forbidden “transfer’ unless it falls within an exception.

And note “loans” and “gifts” are different matters. As Sebastian notes, the bill has exemptions for “bona fide gifts between spouses” and other close relatives, but this only covers gifts, not loans. Handing your spouse or child a gun in the field would be a “loan” and thus a violation (unless you brought an FFL with you to authorize each handing over of a firearm).

Another example. Let’s suppose you go shooting in the countryside (or even on your own property, not near your house) with a friend, and you loan them your rifle for a few shots. You just committed a federal crime, and they’ll commit one when they had it back.

Look at the exemptions on pp. 11-13. It’s not a transfer between spouses, or other designated family. It’s a not a transfer by will. It’s not a temporary transfer “in the home or curtilage” (the area immediately around the house), it’s not a transfer at a target range, nor while hunting. It’s a loan not within any exemption.

The penalty? This section will be numbered as 18 U.S.C. §922(t). Under §924, “Whoever knowingly violates subsection (s) or (t) of section 922shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for not more than 1 year, or both.”

Note the “knowingly.” That means you must have known of your action (you were conscious at the time) but not necessarily knew of the law. The fact that you didn’t know that there was a law against handing your friend a rifle is immaterial.

The above is why the NRA as well as myself was against the "universal background bill".

Forum List

Back