AveryJarhman

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2015
ny
After listening to a ThisAmericanLife podcast interview with Cornealious Michael "Mike" Anderson III's and his wife, learning how he transformed himself from a angry, disturbed young person into an average, peaceful, working family man, I believe most people who crossed the line and acquire criminal records should be given the opportunity to prove they've matured and earnestly want to be responsible.

However, banning the box is only a band-aid that does not address the more serious social issue for learning why some people become depressed, angry, frustrated, mildly or significantly emotionally disturbed people who often violently or non-violently harm their/our peaceful neighbors?

In my opinion the serious social issue glaring us all in the face is America's expanding and shameful **National Epidemic of Childhood Abuse and Neglect, Poverty**, that for more than two generations has deprived untold numbers of American kids from experiencing and enjoying a fairly happy American kid childhood with *Safe Streets* to travel and play on.

**Child Abuse and Neglect** that is primarily responsible for populating our prisons with depressed, angry, frustrated, undisciplined, unpredictable, sometimes suicidal teens and adults full of resentment for irresponsibly being introduced to a life of hardships and struggles.

**Early Childhood Abuse and Neglect** that often leads depressed, sometimes suicidal **(NY Times May 18, 2015 - Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers)** children to develop into depressed, angry, frustrated, unpredictable, sometimes suicidal teens and adults lacking empathy and compassion for others, though needing to vent their pent up negative emotions, often causing emotional and physical harm to peaceful people...instead of venting their anger, resentment and pain on the immature single moms and/or dads who introduced them to a life of pain and struggle by irresponsibly building a family before acquiring the practical skills, *PATIENCE* and means to successfully raise and nurture a developing young child who matures into a fairly happy responsible teen and adult with mostly fond memories of their childhood.

A thought.

During the early to mid 80s young Brooklyn, NY rap performers were selling their CDs from car trunks, sharing rap performances with their fans that referred to females as less than human *itches and *hores unworthy of respect.

Less than a decade earlier virtually all American music artists of African descent were writing beautiful, timeless music adoring, admiring, praising, wooing, lamenting, loving and respecting the maternal half of our population.

Today many mega-popular rap performers continue characterizing our moms, sisters, grandmas, daughters, aunts and nieces as less than human creatures unworthy of respect. :sad:

When & Why Did Our Moms Become Less Than Human?

angry-victims.png

Black *(Children's)* Lives Matter; Take Pride In Parenting; End Our National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect; End Community Violence, Police Fear & Educator's Frustrations

Nobody should be force to hire people without full information. That is just fascist bullshit. I admit people can change, but they should just have to accept that responsibility that comes with their bad choices.
If it was my business, and I had a problem with people that have raped someone, killed someone etc that is MY business. Pun intended.

Nobody should be force to hire people without full information. That is just fascist bullshit. I admit people can change, but they should just have to accept that responsibility that comes with their bad choices.
If it was my business, and I had a problem with people that have raped someone, killed someone etc that is MY business. Pun intended.
did you set out to show that you don't understand 'ban the box' or was it an accidental exposure of ignorance?

did you set out to show that you don't understand 'ban the box' or was it an accidental exposure of ignorance?
I understand what it is. It bans the criminal section of an application. So, in theory, the employers wold go by qualifications first.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas about Fascism.......

In both Germany and Italy during the height of their ill fated Fascist states, you had to legally be a member of those parties to get hired.

If you would have called it "liberal bullshit" I wouldn't have even responded

I understand what it is. It bans the criminal section of an application. So, in theory, the employers wold go by qualifications first.
so then you know that under no circumstances is anyone required or forced to hire someone without full information

so why did you say "Nobody should be force to hire people without full information. That is just fascist bullshit." as if it were somehow relevant?

I'm not sure where you get your ideas about Fascism.......

In both Germany and Italy during the height of their ill fated Fascist states, you had to legally be a member of those parties to get hired.

If you would have called it "liberal bullshit" I wouldn't have even responded
Well... its not "liberal" bullshit.. It fascist bullshit. The government regulating every damn thing

so then you know that under no circumstances is anyone required or forced to hire someone without full information

so why did you say "Nobody should be force to hire people without full information. That is just fascist bullshit." as if it were somehow relevant?
The guy has obviously read too few history books, and one too many Jonah Goldberg books

What about application processes that only have one stage?

The guy has obviously read too few history books, and one too many Jonah Goldberg books
Who? :dunno:
If you knew what fascism was, you would know that each form of fascism is distinct, leaving many dfinitions too wide or too narrow. The general form of fascism is government control.

nobody is forcing anyone to have an application process that only has one stage. further, if they only have one stage and do not conduct a background check on their applicants they are already hiring people without full information and clearly they do not care

nobody is forcing anyone to have an application process that only has one stage. further, if they only have one stage and do not conduct a background check on their applicants they are already hiring people without full information and clearly they do not care
I didn't say they were. Some places just do the interview and are done. My buddy was trying to get on with best buy. That shit was ridiculous lol.
You make a good point. Thanks.

Ban The box merely removes from applications the question about a person's criminal record.

It does not prevent or discourage a prospective employer from looking further into a person's background.

I didn't say they were. Some places just do the interview and are done. My buddy was trying to get on with best buy. That shit was ridiculous lol.
You make a good point. Thanks.
i go back and forth on whether or not i support the 'ban the box' movement. I know a lot of times people do turn their life around, but you're never going to understand that based off a small check box and a one line explanation.
I was hiring at a hotel once for maintenance, a guy who flat out told me that he wouldn't pass the background check because of some long ago felony (bad checks i think, some piddly shit) was applying. hired him on anyway, contingent on his background check. started him to work right away and he busted his ass. hard worker, efficient, went that extra step. he did more in two days than my other maintenance worker had in 2 weeks. background check came back after about a week, and he was gone. took a long time to fill that position with a qualified candidate.

so in that case ban the box wouldn't have mattered - except that if we had had more decent applicants he wouldn't have even been interviewed. corporate office said no felons though, so that was the rule and that wouldn't have changed even if the box was banned.

Who? :dunno:
If you knew what fascism was, you would know that each form of fascism is distinct, leaving many dfinitions too wide or too narrow. The general form of fascism is government control.
fas·cism
ˈfaSHˌizəm/dictatorship, despotism, autocracy;More
Nazism, rightism;
nationalism, xenophobia, racism, anti-Semitism;
jingoism, isolationism;
neofascism, neo-Nazism
"a film depicting the rise of fascism in the 1930s"
  • (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice

Wait!......aren't you part of the right wing?

Forum List

Back