Background Checks ARE The Best Way

According to the article in the OP, states with more comprehensive background checks have seen a significant reduction in gun deaths due to DV and attacks on police. These types of attacks are not usually "planned," they are usually shootings done in the heat of the moment. As has been pointed out here, background checks will not stop EVERY inappropriate person from getting their hands on a gun. However, the federal law alone has stopped over 5,000 people in our state from purchasing one. In states with more comprehensive laws, it has apparently prevented enough people from having one on hand to commit a crime of passion/panic to make a large statistical difference.
Regardless of the suicide rate in foreign countries or other ways to murder people, requiring background checks on ALL sales of guns has made a difference. It is a good move and will not further infringe on the rights of law abiding gun owners. It will keep more guns from the hands of people who should not have one.
It is a GOOD thing.
You typically speak in generalities and offer your opinion as fact. It doesn't work that way. What SPECIFICALLY prevents a dv shooting?
Specifically, not having a GUN.
Who shouldn't have a gun? Fuck, you are dense.
People with prior DV convictions and ex-felons aren't supposed to get guns. Some people with mental illness (if it is considered dangerous by the doctor).

Yet the Charlotte guy killed by police....had a DV restraining order, prior felony convictions for drugs and other crimes.....and he had a gun on him when he was shot by the police...because he bought the gun from a burglar who stole it.....neither one went through a background check........

Background checks only affect those who obey the law; those that do not can and will get guns w/o any background check whatsoever.
Some will. Some won't. Those who wish for a gun right now and shouldn't have one are able to purchase one legally by using an unlicensed dealer at a gun show, through an ad in the Weekly Swap Sheet or through a friend/neighbor.
About 40% of people who should not own a weapon purchase one LEGALLY by using the loopholes.
No such thing as an unlicensed dealer.

According to the article in the OP, states with more comprehensive background checks have seen a significant reduction in gun deaths due to DV and attacks on police. These types of attacks are not usually "planned," they are usually shootings done in the heat of the moment. As has been pointed out here, background checks will not stop EVERY inappropriate person from getting their hands on a gun. However, the federal law alone has stopped over 5,000 people in our state from purchasing one. In states with more comprehensive laws, it has apparently prevented enough people from having one on hand to commit a crime of passion/panic to make a large statistical difference.
Regardless of the suicide rate in foreign countries or other ways to murder people, requiring background checks on ALL sales of guns has made a difference. It is a good move and will not further infringe on the rights of law abiding gun owners. It will keep more guns from the hands of people who should not have one.
It is a GOOD thing.
You typically speak in generalities and offer your opinion as fact. It doesn't work that way. What SPECIFICALLY prevents a dv shooting?
People with prior DV convictions and ex-felons aren't supposed to get guns. Some people with mental illness (if it is considered dangerous by the doctor).

Yet the Charlotte guy killed by police....had a DV restraining order, prior felony convictions for drugs and other crimes.....and he had a gun on him when he was shot by the police...because he bought the gun from a burglar who stole it.....neither one went through a background check........
I never said it would stop every crime. It apparently has stopped a significant number.

Background checks only affect those who obey the law; those that do not can and will get guns w/o any background check whatsoever.
Some will. Some won't. Those who wish for a gun right now and shouldn't have one are able to purchase one legally by using an unlicensed dealer at a gun show, through an ad in the Weekly Swap Sheet or through a friend/neighbor.
About 40% of people who should not own a weapon purchase one LEGALLY by using the loopholes.
Someone who cannot legally buy a gun can NEVER legally buy a gun -- and so, no, they are NOT buying them legally at gun shows or anywhere else

And, for the zillionth time:
It is impossible to legally avoid the background checks specified by federal law -- thus, there is no loophole.
Not all people selling guns are required to perform background checks. That is the problem.
you would think, the NRA and gun dealers in gun stores, would support this....making the playing field of sales, level....fair...where all who sell guns need to get a background check on the buyer and not just the retail stores singled out for it...?

We don't support it because the anti gun proponents of universal background checks know that they dont' stop criminals or mass shooters......the ydo know that they require universal gun registration....and that is why they want them....the gun registration is the thing they need to eventually ban or confiscate guns.....just like in Australia, Germany and Britain....

I never said it would stop every crime. It apparently has stopped a significant number.

No...it hasn't........even taking for granted the links claim of 5,000 denied background checks...do you realize that that doesn't mean criminals were stopped....that simply means that someone didn't pass the first try.....their name popped for someone else who had a similar name......they cleared that up and then got the gun....they are lying to you.....actual criminals know this...they use friends and family members to go to gun stores to pass the background checks....

Why is this so hard for you to grasp...?

Ah, yes. Australia, my dream scape. You think that will actually happen here? If nothing happened after Newtown, it never will. As a matter of fact, instead of being revolted by the gun violence, people went out and bought MORE and MORE guns.
We are one sick bunch of motherfuckers, imo.

No...it hasn't........even taking for granted the links claim of 5,000 denied background checks...do you realize that that doesn't mean criminals were stopped....that simply means that someone didn't pass the first try.....their name popped for someone else who had a similar name......they cleared that up and then got the gun....they are lying to you.....actual criminals know this...they use friends and family members to go to gun stores to pass the background checks....

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that DV and police gun deaths went down 40-50% according to the editorial after comprehensive background checks were implemented. Without calling them "lies," you have nothing to say.

Ah, yes. Australia, my dream scape. You think that will actually happen here? If nothing happened after Newtown, it never will. As a matter of fact, instead of being revolted by the gun violence, people went out and bought MORE and MORE guns.
We are one sick bunch of motherfuckers, imo.

wrong.....they can stack the Supreme Court now.....

Moron....there were 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s...there are now 357 million guns in private hands and up to 2015 (the year of Ferguson and black lies matter) the gun murder rate went down 49%......

Milions of Americans use guns and carry guns every day...in fact, Americans are the most responsible gun owners in the world....so please...think before you post....

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that DV and police gun deaths went down 40-50% according to the editorial after comprehensive background checks were implemented. Without calling them "lies," you have nothing to say.

And that statistic is a lie...he doesn't even site the study......I showed you in my link how they get that number from anti gun groups and just assume it is a fact.....an actual link......

Again.....the guy shot by the police in Charlotte.....had a DV restraining order...no gun for him....and felony convictions for drugs...no gun for him......and when he was shot....he had a gun, that he got without a background check from a burglar who stole the gun...without a background check.....

Not one thing in your opening post makes any sense if you just apply your brain to it.....

And the guy in your first post uses bogus numbers from Missouri right in your link........

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...udy-by-the-bloomberg-school-of-public-health/

Gun violence and negativity bias in the Information Age

One way around the negativity bias is to remember that, as the saying goes, the plural of anecdote isn’t data. Fluctuations in data are also not automatically a trend.

An illustration of this is the claim made about homicide rates in Missouri after repeal in 2007 of the requirement to have a license to purchase when buying a handgun.

The murder rate in that state has moved about between 8.1 and 5.0 per hundred thousand over the last twenty years, but coming for the most part at a rate between six and seven. Incautious reporting took a temporary rise from 2007 to 2008 as evidence that loosening gun laws is a bad thing to do, but the average of homicide rates from 2008 to 2014 is the same as that of the years 1996 to 2007, reminding us that we have to look at lots of data over time to reach supportable conclusions.

That entire editorial is filled with lies and fack statistics....

This editorial was in the paper this morning by one of our police chiefs. Our state will be voting on universal background checks in November. Probably we're not the only one. Universal background checks do help! At least it's better than nothing.

"Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people

Commitment to public service is ingrained in my family’s DNA. My grandfather served the city of Portland as a lieutenant in the police force for 30 years, and my father was a captain in the city of Portland Fire Department. He died in the line of duty in 1956.

Their calling to serve the people of Maine was passed on to me when I joined the U.S. Army as a military policeman in 1969 and then the Cape Elizabeth Police Department as a patrolman. Forty-two years later, I’m the chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, an organization that represents law enforcement officers in our state.

Background checks help to protect police officers and other first responders, and they make our communities safer. For these reasons, I am committed to the expansion of background checks to all gun sales and transfers in Maine.

I wish I could say things were different, but my years of experience have shown me that bad people will do bad things. Exploiting available loopholes to get their hands on a gun is second nature to criminals. We know that background checks on all gun sales are the best, most effective way to make sure felons and other dangerous people can’t get guns easily.

Since 1998, we’ve applied the federal law that requires background checks to be conducted on gun sales at licensed firearms dealers. And it has worked. That law has stopped more than 5,500 gun sales to dangerous people in Maine, whether they be felons, domestic abusers or other prohibited people.

Still, the loophole makes it incredibly easy for them to instead find the firearm they are looking for online or in classified ads from an unlicensed dealer and buy that gun with no questions asked. As Maine Public Broadcasting Network recently reported, the unlicensed gun market in Maine is “ booming.”

Question 3 fixes this.

In the 18 states that already require background checks for all gun sales, 48 percent fewer law enforcement officers are killed with handguns, 48 percent fewer individuals take their own lives with guns and 46 percent fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners. What’s more, we’ve also seen a 48 percent reduction in gun trafficking. By comparison, in Missouri, where lawmakers in 2007 repealed a law requiring background checks on all private gun sale, saw a 25 percent spike in firearm-related homicides.

It’s indisputable that background checks work.

This is a measure that enhances public safety while protecting law enforcement officers.

I’ve also heard the anecdotal scenarios that opponents to Question 3 have offered, which, they say, point to shortcomings in the initiative. There are those who say this measure would turn law-abiding Mainers into criminals, but in the 18 states where these laws are already in place, that has not proven true. The initiative allows people to loan guns to their hunting friends and to give or sell guns to family members without a background check.

Unfortunately, as with any campaign, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Despite those vague and hypothetical scenarios, Question 3 is and should be seen as an extension of Maine’s heritage of responsible gun ownership.

No one wants criminals to have easy access to guns. By ensuring background checks are conducted for all sales and transfers of firearms, Mainers can be assured that when they are selling or transferring their gun, they know that whoever is on the receiving end is not a dangerous person. This is part and parcel of responsible gun ownership.

I’ve spent my career working side by side with the many good men and women of the Maine law enforcement community to protect and serve the people of this state. I want Maine to be safe, and I want to protect and preserve our heritage of responsible gun ownership. Question 3 does just that.

As a lifelong law enforcement officer and a proud Mainer, I urge voters to join me in voting yes on Question 3 in November.

Ed Tolan is chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, which has endorsed a “yes” vote on Question 3."

Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people
Its Maine....I have no doubt the big cities will flood the polls with stupid people and stupid votes to further erase their 2nd amendment rights.

This editorial was in the paper this morning by one of our police chiefs. Our state will be voting on universal background checks in November. Probably we're not the only one. Universal background checks do help! At least it's better than nothing.

"Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people

Commitment to public service is ingrained in my family’s DNA. My grandfather served the city of Portland as a lieutenant in the police force for 30 years, and my father was a captain in the city of Portland Fire Department. He died in the line of duty in 1956.

Their calling to serve the people of Maine was passed on to me when I joined the U.S. Army as a military policeman in 1969 and then the Cape Elizabeth Police Department as a patrolman. Forty-two years later, I’m the chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, an organization that represents law enforcement officers in our state.

Background checks help to protect police officers and other first responders, and they make our communities safer. For these reasons, I am committed to the expansion of background checks to all gun sales and transfers in Maine.

I wish I could say things were different, but my years of experience have shown me that bad people will do bad things. Exploiting available loopholes to get their hands on a gun is second nature to criminals. We know that background checks on all gun sales are the best, most effective way to make sure felons and other dangerous people can’t get guns easily.

Since 1998, we’ve applied the federal law that requires background checks to be conducted on gun sales at licensed firearms dealers. And it has worked. That law has stopped more than 5,500 gun sales to dangerous people in Maine, whether they be felons, domestic abusers or other prohibited people.

Still, the loophole makes it incredibly easy for them to instead find the firearm they are looking for online or in classified ads from an unlicensed dealer and buy that gun with no questions asked. As Maine Public Broadcasting Network recently reported, the unlicensed gun market in Maine is “ booming.”

Question 3 fixes this.

In the 18 states that already require background checks for all gun sales, 48 percent fewer law enforcement officers are killed with handguns, 48 percent fewer individuals take their own lives with guns and 46 percent fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners. What’s more, we’ve also seen a 48 percent reduction in gun trafficking. By comparison, in Missouri, where lawmakers in 2007 repealed a law requiring background checks on all private gun sale, saw a 25 percent spike in firearm-related homicides.

It’s indisputable that background checks work.

This is a measure that enhances public safety while protecting law enforcement officers.

I’ve also heard the anecdotal scenarios that opponents to Question 3 have offered, which, they say, point to shortcomings in the initiative. There are those who say this measure would turn law-abiding Mainers into criminals, but in the 18 states where these laws are already in place, that has not proven true. The initiative allows people to loan guns to their hunting friends and to give or sell guns to family members without a background check.

Unfortunately, as with any campaign, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Despite those vague and hypothetical scenarios, Question 3 is and should be seen as an extension of Maine’s heritage of responsible gun ownership.

No one wants criminals to have easy access to guns. By ensuring background checks are conducted for all sales and transfers of firearms, Mainers can be assured that when they are selling or transferring their gun, they know that whoever is on the receiving end is not a dangerous person. This is part and parcel of responsible gun ownership.

I’ve spent my career working side by side with the many good men and women of the Maine law enforcement community to protect and serve the people of this state. I want Maine to be safe, and I want to protect and preserve our heritage of responsible gun ownership. Question 3 does just that.

As a lifelong law enforcement officer and a proud Mainer, I urge voters to join me in voting yes on Question 3 in November.

Ed Tolan is chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, which has endorsed a “yes” vote on Question 3."

Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people

Wrong. The best way to protect the people is to lock up violent criminals instead of releasing them into the public.

If a citizen is considered "too dangerous" to own a gun, why isn't he locked up?

The article I linked to stated that the 40% number wasn't backed up.......try reading the article.....this is obviously where he got the number...and it is a lie....

Background checks for all handgun sales make women and police safer:

The group cites a different report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

In this one, the group uses FBI data to come up with its own conclusions. It does this by compiling data from states with mandatory handgun background checks and those without to arrive at the claim that women and police are about 40 percent less likely to be killed with a handgun in states with mandatory checks.

Fact Checker started re-creating the finding about women but soon stopped after the first four states examined. New Hampshire and Vermont, which have no background check at shows, had much lower rates of women being killed by men than New York and New Jersey, which do require background checks on handguns at gun shows.

But that wasn't the reason Fact Checker stopped this line of inquiry.

The homicide statistics come from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports — and the FBI cautions againstpeople comparing places based on the statistics because not all law enforcement agencies submit their data and there are other factors that can also skew comparisons, such as more densely populated areas vs. more rural places.

Further, the Mayors Against Illegal Guns report was not peer reviewed, it doesn't share the numbers used to reach its conclusions, and it treats correlation as causation, strongly implying that lower rates of violence against women and police was caused by handgun background checks without even attempting to deal with all of the factors that would make the statistics less valid.

And here s another clue that the link is lying...when you click the embedded links in his editorial.......it takes you to everytownforgunsafety......a Bloomberg suppport d, rabid anti gun group......which is a sister organization to mayors against gun violence the source found in the article I linked to....

Your post has noting even close to the truth...which is why we don't trust you gun grabbers...

Old lady......do you realize that Maine got rid of their concealed carry permit last year........if you are a legal citizen...you can carry a gun without getting a permit......did you know that?

What does that tell you?

With Maine, ten states no longer require concealed handgun permits in all or virtually all of the state - Crime Prevention Research Center

Last Wednesday, Maine Gov. Paul LePage signed into law a bill to eliminate the concealed gun permit requirement in Maine. Permit requirements also ended in Kansas and Mississippi on July 1st. That raises the total of states that don’t require permits anywhere in the state to eight (also including Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Wyoming, and Vermont). In two states, Idaho and Montana, you only need a permit within city limits. In Montana, that means you don’t need a permit in 99.4% of the state.

. . . The law eliminates the concealed carry requirement for legal gun owners who are age 21 or older, and for all military servicemen or servicewomen over 18 years old. Nonmilitary people between the ages of 18 and 21 must still obtain a permit, which requires a background check and firearm safety training.

The law also creates a requirement that anyone carrying a concealed gun without a permit disclose that fact if they are stopped by police or other law enforcement officers.

People can still obtain permits in Maine for the purpose of carrying concealed guns in other states that recognize permits issued here. . . .

This reduces the fee to carry in Maine from $35 to zero. The training requirement would also be eliminated. People could still get permits to obtain reciprocity with other states.

I have been looking at gun mirder stats for Maine from the FBi...they have to 2004...and the main state police which goes back to 1995....not seeing a 40% decline in Maines gun murder rate....

State Police: Crime in Maine

Wow, talk about stupid! Robing a bank is clearly hurting another; it is infringing on the rights of others through the act of theft. My owning a firearm does not constitute taking what doesn't belong to me and infringes on no one. In fact, it's an inalienable right that the government cannot infringe upon.

Are you really so thick you can't see the difference?

Passing a background check prior to your taking possession of a firearm is in no way an infringement of your right to posses said firearm.

Yes...it is....it is a 14th and 5th amendment violation of our Right.........it is a Poll Tax on the Right to bear arms....

Tough shit. You're gonna have to put up with background checks just the same. It's not like you're buying something useful like a loaf of bread, or a socket wrench.

A socket wrench? Hey you're on to something. Given that "blunt objects" are used to murder at nearly twice the rate as a rifle*, perhaps we should require a background check before you buy your're next socket wrench.

You game?

*2014 FBI stats: murders in which a rifle was used, 248; murder in which a blunt object was used, 435

Everything is a hammer. You have gun hammers, plier hammers, cresant wrench hammers, screw driver hammers, socket wrench hammers, and so on.

And yes, firearms are by design meant to kill rather than loosen a nut, or a bolt, so some care should be taken when handing them out. Like background checks.

And I COULD hammer a nail with the butt of rifle. Sorry, regardless of what one person thinks they're 'designed for', the reality is those blunt objects kill WAY more people than rifles, so some care should be taken when handing them out. Like background checks.

Now, how many people have been inspired to kill after reading a book? Lots and lots. Yea, more background checks!

Forum List

Back