Background Checks ARE The Best Way

This editorial was in the paper this morning by one of our police chiefs. Our state will be voting on universal background checks in November. Probably we're not the only one. Universal background checks do help! At least it's better than nothing.

"Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people

Commitment to public service is ingrained in my family’s DNA. My grandfather served the city of Portland as a lieutenant in the police force for 30 years, and my father was a captain in the city of Portland Fire Department. He died in the line of duty in 1956.

Their calling to serve the people of Maine was passed on to me when I joined the U.S. Army as a military policeman in 1969 and then the Cape Elizabeth Police Department as a patrolman. Forty-two years later, I’m the chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, an organization that represents law enforcement officers in our state.

Background checks help to protect police officers and other first responders, and they make our communities safer. For these reasons, I am committed to the expansion of background checks to all gun sales and transfers in Maine.

I wish I could say things were different, but my years of experience have shown me that bad people will do bad things. Exploiting available loopholes to get their hands on a gun is second nature to criminals. We know that background checks on all gun sales are the best, most effective way to make sure felons and other dangerous people can’t get guns easily.

Since 1998, we’ve applied the federal law that requires background checks to be conducted on gun sales at licensed firearms dealers. And it has worked. That law has stopped more than 5,500 gun sales to dangerous people in Maine, whether they be felons, domestic abusers or other prohibited people.

Still, the loophole makes it incredibly easy for them to instead find the firearm they are looking for online or in classified ads from an unlicensed dealer and buy that gun with no questions asked. As Maine Public Broadcasting Network recently reported, the unlicensed gun market in Maine is “ booming.”

Question 3 fixes this.

In the 18 states that already require background checks for all gun sales, 48 percent fewer law enforcement officers are killed with handguns, 48 percent fewer individuals take their own lives with guns and 46 percent fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners. What’s more, we’ve also seen a 48 percent reduction in gun trafficking. By comparison, in Missouri, where lawmakers in 2007 repealed a law requiring background checks on all private gun sale, saw a 25 percent spike in firearm-related homicides.

It’s indisputable that background checks work.

This is a measure that enhances public safety while protecting law enforcement officers.

I’ve also heard the anecdotal scenarios that opponents to Question 3 have offered, which, they say, point to shortcomings in the initiative. There are those who say this measure would turn law-abiding Mainers into criminals, but in the 18 states where these laws are already in place, that has not proven true. The initiative allows people to loan guns to their hunting friends and to give or sell guns to family members without a background check.

Unfortunately, as with any campaign, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Despite those vague and hypothetical scenarios, Question 3 is and should be seen as an extension of Maine’s heritage of responsible gun ownership.

No one wants criminals to have easy access to guns. By ensuring background checks are conducted for all sales and transfers of firearms, Mainers can be assured that when they are selling or transferring their gun, they know that whoever is on the receiving end is not a dangerous person. This is part and parcel of responsible gun ownership.

I’ve spent my career working side by side with the many good men and women of the Maine law enforcement community to protect and serve the people of this state. I want Maine to be safe, and I want to protect and preserve our heritage of responsible gun ownership. Question 3 does just that.

As a lifelong law enforcement officer and a proud Mainer, I urge voters to join me in voting yes on Question 3 in November.

Ed Tolan is chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, which has endorsed a “yes” vote on Question 3."

Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people
Its Maine....I have no doubt the big cities will flood the polls with stupid people and stupid votes to further erase their 2nd amendment rights.
I hope you're right. Although in Maine, gun ownership is a non-partisan issue, since I would guess as many Democrats as Republicans own guns. Big hunting state. What you are forgetting is that 90% of the American populace wants better background checks. It's not about Democrats.

Ah, yes. Australia, my dream scape. You think that will actually happen here? If nothing happened after Newtown, it never will. As a matter of fact, instead of being revolted by the gun violence, people went out and bought MORE and MORE guns.
We are one sick bunch of motherfuckers, imo.

wrong.....they can stack the Supreme Court now.....

Moron....there were 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s...there are now 357 million guns in private hands and up to 2015 (the year of Ferguson and black lies matter) the gun murder rate went down 49%......

Milions of Americans use guns and carry guns every day...in fact, Americans are the most responsible gun owners in the world....so please...think before you post....
There is nothing wrong with universal background checks which are the first line of resistance preventing the wrong people from getting a gun. If you advocate law abiding, responsible people owning guns, you should back this law 100%.

Ah, yes. Australia, my dream scape. You think that will actually happen here? If nothing happened after Newtown, it never will. As a matter of fact, instead of being revolted by the gun violence, people went out and bought MORE and MORE guns.

Moron....there were 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s...there are now 357 million guns in private hands and up to 2015 (the year of Ferguson and black lies matter) the gun murder rate went down 49%......

Milions of Americans use guns and carry guns every day...in fact, Americans are the most responsible gun owners in the world....so please...think before you post....
There is nothing wrong with universal background checks....
Except, of course, they are unenforceable and will not affect the people who already buy/sell guns illegally.

You're worse than a deer fly. If that argument is ALL you can come up with, you made your point 100 posts ago. So leave it.
Why do you continue to make arguments you know are unsound?
Why do you continue to support your position with fallacious arguments?
Why do you think I should not make mention of your fallacies whenever you post them?

You're worse than a deer fly. If that argument is ALL you can come up with, you made your point 100 posts ago. So leave it.
Why do you think I should not make mention of your fallacies whenever you post them?
Bzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
Where's the Cutters?

Bzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
Where's the Cutters?
Can't answer the questions, eh?
Fact is, when you argue from fallacy - as you are clearly happy to do - your arguments defeat themselves.
Why does this not bother you?

This editorial was in the paper this morning by one of our police chiefs. Our state will be voting on universal background checks in November. Probably we're not the only one. Universal background checks do help! At least it's better than nothing.

"Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people

Commitment to public service is ingrained in my family’s DNA. My grandfather served the city of Portland as a lieutenant in the police force for 30 years, and my father was a captain in the city of Portland Fire Department. He died in the line of duty in 1956.

Their calling to serve the people of Maine was passed on to me when I joined the U.S. Army as a military policeman in 1969 and then the Cape Elizabeth Police Department as a patrolman. Forty-two years later, I’m the chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, an organization that represents law enforcement officers in our state.

Background checks help to protect police officers and other first responders, and they make our communities safer. For these reasons, I am committed to the expansion of background checks to all gun sales and transfers in Maine.

I wish I could say things were different, but my years of experience have shown me that bad people will do bad things. Exploiting available loopholes to get their hands on a gun is second nature to criminals. We know that background checks on all gun sales are the best, most effective way to make sure felons and other dangerous people can’t get guns easily.

Since 1998, we’ve applied the federal law that requires background checks to be conducted on gun sales at licensed firearms dealers. And it has worked. That law has stopped more than 5,500 gun sales to dangerous people in Maine, whether they be felons, domestic abusers or other prohibited people.

Still, the loophole makes it incredibly easy for them to instead find the firearm they are looking for online or in classified ads from an unlicensed dealer and buy that gun with no questions asked. As Maine Public Broadcasting Network recently reported, the unlicensed gun market in Maine is “ booming.”

Question 3 fixes this.

In the 18 states that already require background checks for all gun sales, 48 percent fewer law enforcement officers are killed with handguns, 48 percent fewer individuals take their own lives with guns and 46 percent fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners. What’s more, we’ve also seen a 48 percent reduction in gun trafficking. By comparison, in Missouri, where lawmakers in 2007 repealed a law requiring background checks on all private gun sale, saw a 25 percent spike in firearm-related homicides.

This is a measure that enhances public safety while protecting law enforcement officers.

I’ve also heard the anecdotal scenarios that opponents to Question 3 have offered, which, they say, point to shortcomings in the initiative. There are those who say this measure would turn law-abiding Mainers into criminals, but in the 18 states where these laws are already in place, that has not proven true. The initiative allows people to loan guns to their hunting friends and to give or sell guns to family members without a background check.

Unfortunately, as with any campaign, there’s a lot of misinformation out there. Despite those vague and hypothetical scenarios, Question 3 is and should be seen as an extension of Maine’s heritage of responsible gun ownership.

No one wants criminals to have easy access to guns. By ensuring background checks are conducted for all sales and transfers of firearms, Mainers can be assured that when they are selling or transferring their gun, they know that whoever is on the receiving end is not a dangerous person. This is part and parcel of responsible gun ownership.

I’ve spent my career working side by side with the many good men and women of the Maine law enforcement community to protect and serve the people of this state. I want Maine to be safe, and I want to protect and preserve our heritage of responsible gun ownership. Question 3 does just that.

As a lifelong law enforcement officer and a proud Mainer, I urge voters to join me in voting yes on Question 3 in November.

Ed Tolan is chief of the Falmouth Police Department and president of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, which has endorsed a “yes” vote on Question 3."

Background checks are the best way to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people
Its Maine....I have no doubt the big cities will flood the polls with stupid people and stupid votes to further erase their 2nd amendment rights.
I hope you're right. Although in Maine, gun ownership is a non-partisan issue, since I would guess as many Democrats as Republicans own guns. Big hunting state. What you are forgetting is that 90% of the American populace wants better background checks. It's not about Democrats.

What you don't get is that the polls on the background checks are liars polling the uninformed....the liars want background checks to get gun registration..the uninformed just hear the words "background check" and think it sounds good...they have no idea how useless they are and what the actual intent of the pollsters is.....

There is nothing wrong with universal background checks which are the first line of resistance preventing the wrong people from getting a gun. If you advocate law abiding, responsible people owning guns, you should back this law 100%.

There is everything wrong with universal background checks...we don't need them. If you are a criminal and are caught with a gun you can already be arrested.....end of story......the only reason they want background checks is a national gun registry...so that later they can start banning and confiscating categories of guns....they need to know who has them first....

Question 3 fixes this.

As a hunter, NRA member and obviously a gun owner I generally bristle at laws which affect the 2nd Amendment. There is usually a trade off between security/safety and freedom. I don't like bad people having guns, and in an effort to stem further limitations (type of guns, clip size, auto and semi-auto, etc) I would support extending background checks to all gun sales.

Question 3 fixes this.

Wrong. The best way to protect the people is to lock up violent criminals instead of releasing them into the public.

If a citizen is considered "too dangerous" to own a gun, why isn't he locked up?
Well, do you want every guy who beats his wife or his little brother or whatever to spend the rest of their life in prison? On my dime? Every mentally ill individual who thinks she is Joan of Arc needs to be institutionalized for the rest of her life? On my dime? That's what you're proposing.

Question 3 fixes this.

As a hunter, NRA member and obviously a gun owner I generally bristle at laws which affect the 2nd Amendment. There is usually a trade off between security/safety and freedom. I don't like bad people having guns, and in an effort to stem further limitations (type of guns, clip size, auto and semi-auto, etc) I would support extending background checks to all gun sales.

Do you realize that universal background checks are useless? That a criminal who uses a straw buyer to buy guns from an actual gun store can use the same straw buyer to buy a gun from a private seller....? That criminals do not like to use private sellers because they are afraid they might be police which is why they prefer to buy from family members who straw buy the guns? Making universal background checks pointless from the day they are enacted?

The only reason the anti gunners are pushing universal background checks is because they know they need them to make the claim for the need for a national gun registry...because when the universal background checks do nothing to stop criminals from getting guns....which they won't.....they will then say, well...universal background checks can't be effective without universal gun registration......

Question 3 fixes this.

Wrong. The best way to protect the people is to lock up violent criminals instead of releasing them into the public.

If a citizen is considered "too dangerous" to own a gun, why isn't he locked up?
Well, do you want every guy who beats his wife or his little brother or whatever to spend the rest of their life in prison? On my dime? Every mentally ill individual who thinks she is Joan of Arc needs to be institutionalized for the rest of her life? On my dime? That's what you're proposing.

Those cases are the rare ones.....the multiple convicted felong gang banger, with multiple illegal gun possession convictions who shot the guy in Millenium park last week......he is the rule, not the exception...and he didn't go through a background check to get his illegal gun because he was a felon multiple times over.....

What you are forgetting is that 90% of the American populace wants better background checks.
Oh look - an argumentum ad populum fallacy
It's not a fallacy. It is a fact.
The fallacy surfaces when you argue that we should do something because 90% approve of it.
Does the FACT that 90% approve it make you think of anything? Like, ummmm, "majority rules"?

No...not when they don't know the issue....or why the people pushing the issue want it to pass........

Question 3 fixes this.

:clap: I wish for many deer steaks in your future. Or pheasant pie. Whatever you like.

Forum List

Back