AZ Senator Kyrsten Sinema won't support $15 Minimum Wage

Lets censure her! LOL

While I disagree with her on this....it I think some senatorial independence is a good thing. Republicans should embrace it as well.

The democratic party has discussed censuring her because she crosses the isle to much.

And she is completely right in her statement that it has nothing to do with the objectives of the bill.

I applaud her.

It's to bad Manchin can't see that he should be doing the same thing.

I think the party is ignorant and shortsighted on that subject. Sinema has shitty fashion sense, but I don't think she's a complete idiot. She's crossing the aisle and taking the public stands she is because she's trying to navigate her way to re-election in a state that's very far from being a secure Democrat stronghold (at least, at the moment). If she comes off as a crazed left-wing radical, Arizona will have her replaced with a Republican - virtually ANY Republican - in a heartbeat, and she knows it.
Can you believe it, instead of the UNITED States of America, we have become the DIVIDED Republican and Democrat States of America. Welcome to China. Mandarin lessons will be compulsory.

China? Yeah, like there's a lot of division and dissent in the land of Tiananmen Square. Everyone's very carefully in agreement with the government on everything, at least where they can be seen and heard, lest they get a tank rolled over them.

The Democrats are holding your relief hostage until they get what they want. They don't give a shit that your family ran out of food yesterday...

At least the Democrats are providing relief. That's more than Republicans have done for you throughout the pandemic.

Hey, wow, advice on how we should feel about the running of our country from someone who has no dog in the fight whatsoever. I'll get right on treating that with the respect it deserves.

View attachment 456338

Where did I tell anyone how to "feel" about anything, oh butthurt one? I just pointed out that that whining a lack of stimulus cheques, when Republicans spent 6 months giving him nothing, and were still refusing to approve further stimulus cheques, makes him look dumber than a sack of hammers.

Of course, you've adopted being dumber than a sack of hammers as a way of life. Better stock up on Preparation H. It's gonna be a long 4 years for you.
We shouldn’t be sending any checks, we simply don’t have the money. All they do is print money and devalue what we already earned through hard work.

Then let's just take it out of the money we send to China and every other damn nation on earth...

We hardly send any money overseas, thank you, at least under Trump. Not a single country warranted a billion dollars and we know how they throw a number like that around.

Last edited:
Lets censure her! LOL

While I disagree with her on this....it I think some senatorial independence is a good thing. Republicans should embrace it as well.

The democratic party has discussed censuring her because she crosses the isle to much.

And she is completely right in her statement that it has nothing to do with the objectives of the bill.

I applaud her.

They have? News to me.

I provided a link.

Lets censure her! LOL

I applaud her.

They have? News to me.

I provided a link.
My bad....that was 2 years ago....musta missed it. The AZDems are wrong to do that. We have a representative republic...you hire these people to represent you.

Senator Kyrsten Sinema has expressed her opposition to raising the federal minimum wage to $15, dealing a blow to the Biden administration’s hopes of fulfilling a key campaign promise in the upcoming coronavirus relief package.

“What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term COVID relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema said in an interview with Politico.

“The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there,” the Arizona Democrat added.

Democrats are hoping to push through a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package using budget reconciliation, a parliamentary procedure that allows them to approve the legislation with a simple majority of 51 votes rather than the 60 votes normally required.

The Senate is currently split evenly with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans. If no Republican crosses party lines to vote for the relief bill, Democrats would need all Democrats to vote as a bloc, and Vice President Kamala Harris would cast the deciding vote in favor of the package.

Another moderate Democrat, Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, has also added to his party’s travails regarding the relief bill’s passage, saying he would not support including a federal $15 minimum wage either.

Sinema, the first Democrat to win a Senate seat in Arizona in 30 years, is also reluctant to approve legislation with a simple majority of senators through the budget reconciliation process, rather than clearing the normal legislative hurdle.

“I want to restore the 60-vote threshold for all elements of the Senate’s work,” she said.

The Senate parliamentarian is supposed to rule on whether the M-Wage increase can be included in a reconciliation bill, but has yet to do so. Doesn't sound like it would pass anyway though. And it doesn't sound like she or Manchin will support efforts to circumvent the 60-vote filibuster either, and that was my main worry. If I'm not mistaken, the Senate can only push through one reconciliation bill per year, according to their rules. So most of that weird Far Left Green New Deal crap isn't going to happen, unless Biden get creative with his EOs. Which I'm sure the Repubs will challenge in court, same as the Dems did for Trump's EOs. Good on her and Manchin, but they're going to face a lot of heat for not giving the Far Left what they want.

Biden says he'll push for the $15 M-Wage in a separate bill, which I doubt will get though the Senate either.

A massive Doubling of the minimum wage has nothing to do with Coronavirus relief at all. I suppose paying millions of people the exact same wage will do a lot of the dream of marxist "income equality" but it has nothing to do with Corona.

It should be voted on separately on its own merits, along with massive funding for the additional Dept of Labor staff needed to police it.

It should be voted on separately on its own merits, along with massive funding for the additional Dept of Labor staff needed to police it.

8 Senate Democrats voted against adding the $15 M-Wage proposal to the Stimulus Bill that was passed back in Feb/March. It ain't going to happen at the national level. Some states are doing it, and some cities and businesses, and more power to 'em. But IMHO this is one of those things that shouldn't be decided in Washington, because economic conditions vary significantly from region to region. I.E., what's good for New York may not be so good for Mississippi. And apparently there are some democrats who realize that.

task0778 Sinema has been a pleasant surprise here in Arizona. I thought she was going to be Vanilla AOC, but she has turned out to be remarkably Centrist.

I hear the democrats are teeing up a $3.5 trillion Infrastructure Bill that basically has little to do with infrastructure, and that is on top of the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill the Senate is working on. Neither of which have actually been written, and decisions have not been finalized on how to pay for either bill and what the spending priorities are. I see this morning that Schumer wants to vote of the bipartisan bill next Wednesday, but apparently negotiations are still ongoing. We'll see how Sinema and Manchin and others come down on these bills.

task0778 Sinema has been a pleasant surprise here in Arizona. I thought she was going to be Vanilla AOC, but she has turned out to be remarkably Centrist.

I hear the democrats are teeing up a $3.5 trillion Infrastructure Bill that basically has little to do with infrastructure, and that is on top of the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill the Senate is working on. Neither of which have actually been written, and decisions have not been finalized on how to pay for either bill and what the spending priorities are. I see this morning that Schumer wants to vote of the bipartisan bill next Wednesday, but apparently negotiations are still ongoing. We'll see how Sinema and Manchin and others come down on these bills.
Does it really matter about Manchin and Sinema? They need them AND 10 Republicans.

Does it really matter about Manchin and Sinema? They need them AND 10 Republicans.

It matters because the Democrats want to pass the larger $3.5 tril bill through reconciliation, because the Repubs are not going to support it. In order to do that, the dems need all 50 Dems to vote for it. I can't imagine ANY Repub voting for the larger bill, and some of them might not support the smaller one either.

No need to raise it and no need for Americans to apply for MW jobs. Leave them unfilled the nation wins.

If they are making $8 per hour that means poverty so the govt sends out $. One cannot live on that. So nobody should apply for those jobs.

The Democrats are holding your relief hostage until they get what they want. They don't give a shit that your family ran out of food yesterday...

At least the Democrats are providing relief. That's more than Republicans have done for you throughout the pandemic.

We get that people like you don't have the ability to survive on your own.

You NEED others to get by.

If they are making $8 per hour that means poverty so the govt sends out $. One cannot live on that. So nobody should apply for those jobs.
So, making $8/hr in low wage areas is worse than making nothing? Bullshit. A significant number of those m-wage guys are supplementing other income, either from themselves or others. Some are retirees, making a few extra dollars, or college kids looking to make some spending money, and some are single or living at home or both. Then there's the 1st-time employees, just starting out in our workforce. If you takeaway all those jobs, that's going to hurt a lot of people and it will ripple through the economy.

Forum List

Back