Atheist Summer Camp

The handbooks make it clear that the Boy Scouts of America is completely non-sectarian, that is - no particular religion is advanced. However, there is a clear emphasis on "duty to God," and an apparent requirement that the boys have some faith-based relationship with a higher power. In other words, atheists may find it difficult to feel comfortable within the organization

Boy Scouts and Religion

They are not EXCLUDED unless they take issue with the oath. No one asks them their religious views at ten. They are too young to fully understand.

But that's not what this thread is about. IS IT OK FOR ATHEISTS TO MAKE FUN OF OTHER CHILDREN?

No, and then again, there is no mention of them making fun of OTHER KIDS. They are poking fun at religions. On the other hand, it is okay for the scout to say they are better than atheists...
The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God.
Admit the double standard here. It is a camp for those that are not religious and tired of the fact that you cannot be part of a group like the scouts without God shoved in your face. Virtually all camps have religious undertones. You do not understand because you are not an atheist.

How can a ten year old deny the existence of a higher power? And if they do, why would they join Scouts?

I asked you a question.

A 10 year old is not an idiot and whether you want to be arrogant about it or not, their beliefs and thoughts are VERY real to them even if you do not want to accept that.

How can a ten year old deny the existence of a higher power? And if they do, why would they join Scouts?

I asked you a question.
:cuckoo:

You said the scouts allow atheists. They do not. You cannot pledge an oath to God if you are an atheist. You cannot be a Scout unless you pledge to God.

I am always amused by some of my fellow atheists in their constant prattling on about not believing in a god.

Why make such a big deal about living without religion in your life if you truly don't believe in god?

It's just silly.

If you truly do not believe in god, why do you care if someone else does?

The handbooks make it clear that the Boy Scouts of America is completely non-sectarian, that is - no particular religion is advanced. However, there is a clear emphasis on "duty to God," and an apparent requirement that the boys have some faith-based relationship with a higher power. In other words, atheists may find it difficult to feel comfortable within the organization
Boy Scouts and Religion

They are not EXCLUDED unless they take issue with the oath. No one asks them their religious views at ten. They are too young to fully understand.

But that's not what this thread is about. IS IT OK FOR ATHEISTS TO MAKE FUN OF OTHER CHILDREN?

No, and then again, there is no mention of them making fun of OTHER KIDS. They are poking fun at religions. On the other hand, it is okay for the scout to say they are better than atheists...
The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God.
Admit the double standard here. It is a camp for those that are not religious and tired of the fact that you cannot be part of a group like the scouts without God shoved in your face. Virtually all camps have religious undertones. You do not understand because you are not an atheist.
That's a good point. The scouts bylaws proclaim atheists to be lesser beings. That is of course their choice to make.

Chanel is indulging in hypocrisy and fauxrage.

In other news, the sun rose in the east.

I am always amused by some of my fellow atheists in their constant prattling on about not believing in a god.

Why make such a big deal about living without religion in your life if you truly don't believe in god?

It's just silly.

Why shouldn't atheists talk about what literally defines them?

Why do Christians make a big deal out of atheists? Why would a Christian, secure in his faith, feel any need to counter an athiest argument? I'm just turning your question around. The same questions arise for me in observing Christian/Atheist dialogue.

Last edited:

It's just silly.

Why do Christians make a big deal out of atheists? Why would a Christian, secure in his faith, feel any need to counter an athiest argument? I'm just turning your question around. The same questions arise for me in observing Christian/Atheist dialogue.

Why do Buddhists give a shit about any of this stuff ?

As a private organization, the Boys Scouts can't be forced to accept all applicants.

As a private group, though, they are not automatically entitled to government benefits, support, and endorsement.

It's just silly.

Why do Buddhists give a shit about any of this stuff ?

Buddhists are considered atheists yet also considered a non-theist religion--which puts Buddhists in the middle.

Why do you question my motivation to participate in a thread, dillo?

Last edited:

I asked you a question.

You said the scouts allow atheists. They do not. You cannot pledge an oath to God if you are an atheist. You cannot be a Scout unless you pledge to God.

Supply this "oath to God". It doesn't exist. If you keep stretching this way, you're going to snap something.

The oath.....which I say at least once a week.....says, "On my honor I will do my best, to do my DUTY to God and my country, and to obey the scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

You pledge to do your duty to your God, whoever or whatever that my mean in your family's faith tradition........which the BSA could care less about. They leave the religious education and what defines DUTY to the family and the family's church. All the oath does is say that you will do that DUTY as YOU understand it.

If you are going to argue a point, at least understand the point you are arguing.

In April of 1985, the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America ruled that a fifteen-year-old Scout, Paul Trout of Charlottesville, Virginia, "should be expelled from the Scouts because he doesn't believe in God." Apparently, Trout mentioned in his interview with the advancement committee for his promotion to Life that he does not believe in God (or maybe that he does not believe in God as a Supreme Being, a distinction that makes a difference).

Carl Hunter, director of the Stonewall Jackson Area Council, was quoted in the press as saying, "The Scout Law requires a young man to be absolutely loyal to God and country and to be reverent toward God. You can't do that if you don't believe in a Supreme Being."

By the summer of 1991, the BSA had two more lawsuits on its hands. The families of eight-year-old Mark Walsh of Chicago and of nine-year-old twins Michael and William Randall of Anaheim, California, had launched separate suits after their sons had been expelled from Cub Scout troops for saying they did not believe in God.

Meanwhile, the Girl Scouts of America faced a similar challenge. In November of 1992, James Randall filed a suit against the Girl Scouts on behalf of a six-year-old San Diego area girl and her father, challenging the Girl Scouts' pledge to "serve God" as a "religious test oath" that violates the Constitution. Within a year, the Girl Scouts had changed their pledge, permitting girls to replace "God" with "words they deem more appropriate" while reciting the Girl Scout Promise.
On My Honor: Boy Scouts and the Making of American Youth, by Jay Mechling, an excerpt

Why can't the Boy Scouts do what the Girl Scouts did?

Last edited:

I asked you a question.

A 10 year old is not an idiot and whether you want to be arrogant about it or not, their beliefs and thoughts are VERY real to them even if you do not want to accept that.

You are right, which makes this (colored red) part of your post seem odd to me:

Boy Scouts and Religion

Don't you think that both the kids in the camp that are poking fun at religion are in reality poking fun at people of faith including those who might be among them at the time and the kids of faith that are there know they are being made fun of?

I actually get the impression that the camp leaders encourage such behavior.

If you are or were a person of faith, would you want your children subjected to such ridicule? Heck, it doesn't matter whether you are a person of faith or not, would you want you children subjected to any kind of ridicule?

Immie

Last edited:

I asked you a question.

Don't you think that both the kids in the camp that are poking fun at religion are in reality poking fun at people of faith including those who might be among them at the time and the kids of faith that are there know they are being made fun of?

If you are or were a person of faith, would you want your children subjected to such ridicule? Heck, it doesn't matter whether you are a person of faith or not, would you want you children subjected to any kind of ridicule?

Immie

I don't know what universe you live in but children use ridicule quite a bit. They have to be trained out of it.

Immie

I don't know what universe you live in but children use ridicule quite a bit. They have to be trained out of it.

So we encourage it?

Johnny has to go to Camp Quest as a believer so that he can get his annual dose of ridicule?

Immie

Ravi wins A scout who can unequivocally state that there is no higher power and will not say the pledge will be denied. Just like any other kid who thinks their fellow scouts are idiots and the purpose of the orhanization sucks. That of course would include Catholics, neo Nazis, and criminals. So in that respect, yes they discriminate.

Those kids can always find a place at atheist camp,

I asked you a question.

Supply this "oath to God". It doesn't exist. If you keep stretching this way, you're going to snap something.

The oath.....which I say at least once a week.....says, "On my honor I will do my best, to do my DUTY to God and my country, and to obey the scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

You pledge to do your duty to your God, whoever or whatever that my mean in your family's faith tradition........which the BSA could care less about. They leave the religious education and what defines DUTY to the family and the family's church. All the oath does is say that you will do that DUTY as YOU understand it.

If you are going to argue a point, at least understand the point you are arguing.
You're twisting like a Willow Tree in a hurricane.

You can't pledge to do your duty to God if you don't believe in God.

btw, Chanel...why did you lump Catholics in with neonazis and criminals? I thought you were all about religious tolerance.

:lol:

Camp Quest is a sleepaway camp for the children of atheists, agnostics, humanists and other nonbelievers, though kids from religious families are welcome, too.

Most of the time, the kids do normal camp stuff such as hike, compete in relay races, sit around campfires. But the overarching philosophy is that life without religion is a perfectly healthy, viable option. "I feel really strongly these kids shouldn't be indoctrinated," she said. Many of the campers, who range in age from 8 to 17, "don't know what they are" yet when it comes to beliefs.

Despite the emphasis on open-mindedness, poking fun at faith isn't forbidden.

The team names included the Flaming Messiahs, a nod to the incinerated "Touchdown Jesus" sculpture north of Cincinnati struck by lightning last week, and the Dinosaur Jesus Riders, whose cheer goes like this: "Yeehaw, ride that Jesus!"

In a recurring gag, counselors tell the kids that two invisible unicorns run free at Camp Quest. Anyone who can prove that isn't true will win a prize.

Kids wrestle with religion at Camp Quest | The Columbus Dispatch

I'm speechless. Imagine if they had organized games poking fun at gays or atheists at a boy scout camp. Atheism has got to be the least tolerant of all religions. And it is a religion.

Comments?

"I'm speechless."'

if only that were true

" Imagine if they had organized games poking fun at gays or atheists at a boy scout camp. "

don't know about boy scout camps but certainly conservatives/conservative christians mock and ridicule atheists all the time

fox news and cnn both had specials discussing atheism and they were ruthless.

" Atheism has got to be the least tolerant of all religions."

atheism s not a religion.

it takes a very stupid person to think that it is.

as for intolerance...

the MOST intolerant religions are fundamental islam and fundamental christianty.

" And it is a religion."

no, it is not.

as I said
it takes a very stupid person to think that atheism is a religion.

Forum List

Back