Atheist Quotes

MissileMan said:
So your theory is atheists disbelieve in gods to avoid having to follow religious rules? Tell me then...which religion's rules am I trying to avoid? Bhuddism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaeism, Christianity?

I guess you can argue that Christians are Christians so they can avoid believing in Vishnu, or that Jews are Jews so they can avoid believing in Allah, but that would be as absurd as your statement above.

Absurd. Calling a belief in disbelieving any less a religion than any of those you named, and you are acting just like a Holy roller whose religious beliefs have been slighted.

My statement was aimed at the originator of this thread based on a ranting personal attack against me and Christianity in another thread, and my comment is within that context.

That person would be trying to dodge moral consequence.

That would be a specific response to him, as it was. You aren't supposed to jump in both feet first without looking.

GunnyL said:
Absurd. Calling a belief in disbelieving any less a religion than any of those you named, and you are acting just like a Holy roller whose religious beliefs have been slighted.

As was aptly pointed out a couple times in the lists of atheist quotes, calling atheism a religion is like calling "not playing basketball" a sport. It's a hollow, logically-bankrupt argument.

GunnyL said:
My statement was aimed at the originator of this thread based on a ranting personal attack against me and Christianity in another thread, and my comment is within that context.

That would be a specific response to him, as it was. You aren't supposed to jump in both feet first without looking.

Not being privy to your conversation in another thread, I responded to your post in the context of what you quoted within said post.

MissileMan said:
As was aptly pointed out a couple times in the lists of atheist quotes, calling atheism a religion is like calling "not playing basketball" a sport. It's a hollow, logically-bankrupt argument.

Not being privy to your conversation in another thread, I responded to your post in the context of what you quoted within said post.

If God didn't exist, athiests would certainly look stupid walking around stating the obvious.

dilloduck said:
If God didn't exist, athiests would certainly look stupid walking around stating the obvious.

For someone who claims political leanings on the right, you spend an inordinate amount of time out in left field.

GunnyL said:

I'm a atheist with a little a. I don't give a shit about God being in the Pledge of Allegience. I don't care that God is on all the money. Truth is I never think about about it all unless someone else brings it up.

Here's the difference between me, a religious person, and an agnostic:

When I think of God I think of The Tooth Fairy. Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny.

When a religious person thinks of God they think of their own religion and what that religion tells them God is.

Agnostics know there's a God, they just know how stupid the whole concept is so they pretend they don't know for sure.

The argument about atheism being akin to a religion falls apart when you substitute Bigfoot in the place of God.

Actually, Bigfoot is a bad example because he's at least possible.

MissileMan said:
For someone who claims political leanings on the right, you spend an inordinate amount of time out in left field.

You need to learn how to think outside the ballpark.

dilloduck said:
You need to learn how to think outside the ballpark.

Ahh, you see the "game" is being played between the different religions...I refuse to play. What really sucks is having to watch this nonsense knowing that one or more of the "teams" is going to be responsible for the ruin of mankind all in the name of an imaginary "concept".

MissileMan said:
Ahh, you see the "game" is being played between the different religions...I refuse to play. What really sucks is having to watch this nonsense knowing that one or more of the "teams" is going to be responsible for the ruin of mankind all in the name of an imaginary "concept".

How altruistic of you athiests ! Thank you for staying out of it. It's so--helpful ?

nt250 said:
Agnostics know there's a God, they just know how stupid the whole concept is so they pretend they don't know for sure.

Maybe the people that you know do that, but I don't know any. The people I know believe in a 'creator' not God or Gods as defined by the major and not so major religions. No one 'pretends' anything.

MissileMan said:

Disagree, and the analogy is irrelevant. It does not take a conscious act to not play basketball. I does however require a conscious effort to believe in disbelief.

I gathered that.;)

nt250 said:
I'm a atheist with a little a. I don't give a shit about God being in the Pledge of Allegience. I don't care that God is on all the money. Truth is I never think about about it all unless someone else brings it up.

Here's the difference between me, a religious person, and an agnostic:

When I think of God I think of The Tooth Fairy. Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny.

When a religious person thinks of God they think of their own religion and what that religion tells them God is.

The argument about atheism being akin to a religion falls apart when you substitute Bigfoot in the place of God.

Actually, Bigfoot is a bad example because he's at least possible.

Actually, God is far more probable than Bigfoot.

My argument was not aimed at ambivalence. I don't like Holy rollers condemning to Hell all that don't believe in their special little brand anymore than I dislike atheists going on extremist, anti-religious rants.

To clarify my stance, I consider atheism no less a religion than any other because it contains the same key ingedients... A "belief in" that cannot be scientifically proven.

For people to go to all the effort that has been in an attempt to disprove the existence of God, they could just as well go to church and be in the choir. Not believing is one thing .... not beleiving to the point that one feels the need to prove something that is not proveable quite another.

An extreme belief by any other name is STILL an extreme belief.

GunnyL said:
Disagree, and the analogy is irrelevant. It does not take a conscious act to not play basketball. I does however require a conscious effort to believe in disbelief.

GMAFB! Belief in disbelief? Can you even type that with a straight face? If we were to apply your "logic" to my sports analogy, "not playing basketball" would indeed be a sport because it would be participation in non-participation.

MissileMan said:
GMAFB! Belief in disbelief? Can you even type that with a straight face? If we were to apply your "logic" to my sports analogy, "not playing basketball" would indeed be a sport because it would be participation in non-participation.

So your claim is that atheism would not exist were there not people who claim God exists ? Atheism is a reactionary "movement" ?

Atheism is not a lack of belief in something. It is a belief in the lack of something. If you believe that there is absolutely no life in the universe, it's not a lack of belief, it's a belief of lack. Atheists actively believe that there is no supreme being. This is a belief in something, or rather the lack of something. If a person just doesn't address it and doesn't fully believe either the presence or lack of a 'god,' then it is a lack of belief.

Back to the basketball analogy, claiming that atheism isn't a religion because of a lack of a God of some kind is like saying that swimming and track aren't sports because they don't involve a ball of some sort.

dilloduck said:
So your claim is that atheism would not exist were there not people who claim God exists ? Atheism is a reactionary "movement" ?

How in hell did you arrive at that from what I wrote? My disbelief is not dependant on your belief.

Forum List

Back