Atheist Quotes

Hobbit said:
Atheism is not a lack of belief in something. It is a belief in the lack of something. If you believe that there is absolutely no life in the universe, it's not a lack of belief, it's a belief of lack. Atheists actively believe that there is no supreme being. This is a belief in something, or rather the lack of something. If a person just doesn't address it and doesn't fully believe either the presence or lack of a 'god,' then it is a lack of belief.

Back to the basketball analogy, claiming that atheism isn't a religion because of a lack of a God of some kind is like saying that swimming and track aren't sports because they don't involve a ball of some sort.

When they erect churches for the purpose of NOT believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I'll buy your argument. Until then it's bullshit.

MissileMan said:
When they erect churches for the purpose of NOT believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I'll buy your argument. Until then it's bullshit.

Are we supposed to believe your an atheist just because you say so?

GunnyL said:
Actually, God is far more probable than Bigfoot.

My argument was not aimed at ambivalence. I don't like Holy rollers condemning to Hell all that don't believe in their special little brand anymore than I dislike atheists going on extremist, anti-religious rants.

To clarify my stance, I consider atheism no less a religion than any other because it contains the same key ingedients... A "belief in" that cannot be scientifically proven.

For people to go to all the effort that has been in an attempt to disprove the existence of God, they could just as well go to church and be in the choir. Not believing is one thing .... not beleiving to the point that one feels the need to prove something that is not proveable quite another.

An extreme belief by any other name is STILL an extreme belief.

I don't believe there's a Tooth Fairy, either, but for some reason nobody ever calls that belief akin to a religous belief.

That's the thing that no religious person, or agnostic, has ever been able to explain to me. Why is God different? What is it that makes some people have to believe in a creator? Mold grows on garbage. So what? What makes people need to find some grand plan behind it all?

Religous people and agnostics think of God, or a "creator", as being possible. Some think of it as being no different than geography. Really, they don't. I've had discussions with religious people about prayer in school and they've used the argument "they teach geography, don't they?" as examples of why prayer should be allowed in public schools. Duh? It's a little difficult to get a point accross to someone who has no clue that what they believe in isn't real, much less has no relationship to subject like geography. But they think it does because to them there is no difference.

Some atheists are strident, and to them it's a cause. It's no different than the zealots at PETA, but nobody calls them a religion. It all comes back to God. Why? Why is it that some people need to believe in a God? I'm afraid of death as much as the next person, but I never wonder what will hapen to me after I die. I just don't want it to hurt.

nt250 said:
I don't believe there's a Tooth Fairy, either, but for some reason nobody ever calls that belief akin to a religous belief.

That's the thing that no religious person, or agnostic, has ever been able to explain to me. Why is God different? What is it that makes some people have to believe in a creator? Mold grows on garbage. So what? What makes people need to find some grand plan behind it all?

Religous people and agnostics think of God, or a "creator", as being possible. Some think of it as being no different than geography. Really, they don't. I've had discussions with religious people about prayer in school and they've used the argument "they teach geography, don't they?" as examples of why prayer should be allowed in public schools. Duh? It's a little difficult to get a point accross to someone who has no clue that what they believe in isn't real, much less has no relationship to subject like geography. But they think it does because to them there is no difference.

Some atheists are strident, and to them it's a cause. It's no different than the zealots at PETA, but nobody calls them a religion. It all comes back to God. Why? Why is it that some people need to believe in a God? I'm afraid of death as much as the next person, but I never wonder what will hapen to me after I die. I just don't want it to hurt.

What makes you think people looked for God? Maybe God found them.

dilloduck said:
You want God to take a test to prove his existence--seems only fair.

Can you go more than a couple posts without changing subjects? I think you suffer from AADD.

MissileMan said:
Can you go more than a couple posts without changing subjects? I think you suffer from AADD.

I'm sorry you're unable to follow but I'm not going to post slower just so you have time to think.

dilloduck said:
I'm sorry you're unable to follow but I'm not going to post slower just so you have time to think.

The day I can't run mental circles around you, I'll eat a bullet!

-Unknown Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence.

-Richard Lederer (Anguished English) There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages.

Funny, those were my two favorites too. :tng:

Funny, those were my two favorites too. :tng:

Its pretty interesting how much faith the atheists put into "bumper sticker mentality"

Each and every one of those could be shown to be in error one way or another.

For example, the two that HC claimed are his favs, I dont recall anywhere in the Bible that it calls for BLIND faith.

Regarding the other one, you would find the real persons of faith in Jesus were not the ones who created the dark ages. In fact, if some of these liberals were willing to take the time to get educated beyond their talking points, you would find the real source of the dark ages, and see that Christianity took us out of it.

Hmmm, was it religous men who founded America? Yea, America, the great bastion of freedom. The one every modern democracy emulates. Dont bore me with the claim that America isnt the original, or that we are terrorists or Imperialists. Thats like claiming Lieberman is a Republilcan.

Its pretty interesting how much faith the atheists put into "bumper sticker mentality"

Each and every one of those could be shown to be in error one way or another.

For example, the two that HC claimed are his favs, I dont recall anywhere in the Bible that it calls for BLIND faith.

Regarding the other one, you would find the real persons of faith in Jesus were not the ones who created the dark ages. In fact, if some of these liberals were willing to take the time to get educated beyond their talking points, you would find the real source of the dark ages, and see that Christianity took us out of it.

Hmmm, was it religous men who founded America? Yea, America, the great bastion of freedom. The one every modern democracy emulates. Dont bore me with the claim that America isnt the original, or that we are terrorists or Imperialists. Thats like claiming Lieberman is a Republilcan.

I don't either. Maybe you should tell that to the evangelical Christian base the Republican party caters to. :rolleyes:

As far as the Dark Ages are concerned, you're argument is ludicrous. What brought Europe out of the Dark Ages was a revival of classical Greek and Roman cultural ideals, not Christianity. You may know this period by its common name, the Renaissance. During the Dark Ages, the Christian Church challenged and snuffed everything that went against orthodoxy. This included stamping-out (or trying to) scientific breakthroughs, the most notable of which was Galileo's discovery of heliocentricity.

The founders of this nation were strongly in dislike of including any religion into government practices. I guess they thought that religion was too destructive a force to be mixed with governments.

The founders of this nation were strongly in dislike of including any religion into government practices. I guess they thought that religion was too destructive a force to be mixed with governments.

Only some were, and not establishing a theocracy and having a religious government are not mutually inclusive.

I don't either. Maybe you should tell that to the evangelical Christian base the Republican party caters to. :rolleyes:.

WHY? Is it one of them that posted that claim on this thread?

As far as the Dark Ages are concerned, you're argument is ludicrous. What brought Europe out of the Dark Ages was a revival of classical Greek and Roman cultural ideals, not Christianity. You may know this period by its common name, the Renaissance. During the Dark Ages, the Christian Church challenged and snuffed everything that went against orthodoxy. This included stamping-out (or trying to) scientific breakthroughs, the most notable of which was Galileo's discovery of heliocentricity.

You need to do some serious reading on that part of history and not just the superficial crap you get in school.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

Forum List

Back