Atheist Quotes

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
author quote quality?
-Stephen Roberts I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours 8%92%

-unknown Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church 14%86%
Doug McLeod I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence 16%84%

-Blaise Pascal Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions 9%91%

-Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. 7%93%
-Unknown Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. 15%85%

-Emo Philips When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. 15%85%

-George Bernard Shaw The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one 6%94%

-Carl Sagan You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. 11%89%

-Epicurus Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 17%83%

-Ferdinand Magellan The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church 10%90%

-Bertrand Russell And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence 4%96%

-Unknown Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence. 12%88%

-Richard Feynman But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me 18%82%

-H. L. Mencken We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart 7%93%

-Richard Lederer (Anguished English) There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages. 19%81%

-doesnt matter "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand" -Mark Twain 13%87%

-Albert Einstein A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death 9%91%

-Robert G. Ingersoll As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers 3%97%

-Stephen Jay Gould Creation science has not entered the curriculum for a reason so simple and so basic that we often forget to mention it: because it is false, and because good teachers understand exactly why it is false. What could be more destructive of that most fragile yet most precious commodity in our entire intellectual heritage -- good teaching -- than a bill forcing honorable teachers to sully their sacred trust by granting equal treatment to a doctrine not only known to be false, but calculated to undermine any general understanding of science as an enterprise?... [more] 13%88%
-Napoleon Bonaparte Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet 9%91%

-Friedrich Nietzsche Which is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's? 11%89%

-Mark Twain The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also 6%94%

-Justin Brown An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated... [more] 15%85%

-Delos B. McKown The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike 12%88%

-Carl Sagon Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence 11%89%

-Galileo Galilei I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them 7%93%

-unknown People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs 19%81%

-Bertrand Russell So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence 19%81%

-Peter O'Toole (The Ruling Class) Everything is more or less organized matter. To think so is against religion, but I think so just the same. When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself 10%90%

Donald Morgan Jesus' last words on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here. 16%84%

Gene Roddenberry We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes 11%89%

-Bumper sticker You keep believing, I'll keep evolving 18%82%

unknown Blasphemy is a victimless crime 18%82%

-Gustaf Lindborg The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail 24%76%

-Gypsy Rose Lee Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere 20%80%

-Richard Dawkins Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. 15%85%

-Benjamin Franklin The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason 12%88%

Justin Brown If the Bible is mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust it to tell us where we're going? 14%86%

-Lenny Bruce If Jesus had been killed 20 years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little Electric Chairs around their necks instead of crosses 23%77%

-Chapman Cohen Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense 21%79%

-Carl Sagan Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature... [more] 14%86%

-Stephen King The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window 13%87%

-David Brooks (The Necessity of Atheism) To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy 13%87%

-Carl Sagan Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy. 20%80%

-Robert G. Ingersoll Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? 21%79%

I-saac Asimov Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition 14%86%

-Sam Harris Whenever a man imagines that he need only believe the truth of a proposition, without evidence - that unbelievers will go to hell, that Jews drink the blood of infants - he becomes capable of anything 16%84%

-Robert G. Ingersoll God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power. Most of the gods were pleased with sacrifice, and the smell of innocent blood has ever been considered a divine a divine perfume... [more] 19%81%

-Stephen Hawking The intelligent beings in these regions should therefore not be surprised if they observe that their locality in the universe satisfies the conditions that are necessary for their existence. It is a bit like a rich person living in a wealthy neighborhood not seeing any poverty... [more] 14%86%

-Friedrich Nietzsche In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point 25%75%

-Robert G. Ingersoll The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it 19%81%

-Karl Marx Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people 23%77%

-Ned Flanders Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends! Well I say there are some things we don't want to know! Important things! 29%71%

-Robert G. Ingersoll Christianity did not come with tidings of great joy, but with a message of eternal grief. It came with the threat of everlasting torture on its lips. It meant war on earth and perdition hereafter 22%78%

-Albert Einstein Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning 21%79%

-Mark Twain It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand 23%77%

-Richard Dawkins Religion is unusual among divisible labels in being spectacularly unnecessary. If religious beliefs had any evidence going for them, we might had to respect them in spite of their concomitant unpleasantness. But there is no such evidence. To label people as death-deserving enemies because of disagreements about real world politics is bad enough. To do the same for disagreements about a delusional world inhabited by archangels, demons and imaginary friends is ludicrously tragic.... [more] 5%95%

-Taslima Nasrin Koranic teaching still insists that the sun moves around the earth. How can we advance when they teach things like that? 27%73%

-Thomas Jefferson Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear... [more] 19%81%

-W.C.Fields Prayers never bring anything... They may bring solace to the sap, the bigot, the ignorant, the aboriginal, and the lazy - but to the enlightened it is the same as asking Santa Claus to bring you something for Xmas 22%78%

-Robert G. Ingersoll (Ingersoll's Works) Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains 24%76%

-Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890) The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. 0%100%

-Albert Einstein The contemplation of this world beckoned as a liberation (...) The road to this paradise was not as comfortable and alluring as the road to the religious paradise; but it has shown itself reliable, and I have never regretted having chosen it 26%74%

-James Morrow "There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes 0%100%

-Voltaire God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. 8%92%

-Gene Roddenberry They said God was on high and he controlled the world and therefore we must pray against Satan. Well, if God controls the world, he controls Satan. For me, religion was full of misstatements and reaches of logic that I just couldn't agree with 33%67%

-Clark Adams If Atheism is a religion, then health is a disease! 38%62%

-Charlie Chaplin By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none 35%65%

-partikel taking the whole universe into account, atheism is what religion claims to be: old and widespread belief. 0%100%

-St. Augustine Often a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, ...and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.... [more] 0%100%

-Robert A. Heinlein The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does 17%83%

-doesnt matter Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned 39%61%

-Bumper sticker Stop lying to children - Break the cycle of religion 0%100%

Robert A. Heinlein "What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what 'the stars foretell,' avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable 'verdict of history,'- 0%100%

unknown if triangles had a god, He would have three sides 0%100%

-Thomas Jefferson I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. 0%100%

-Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, 1988 We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. 0%100%

-Robert A. Heinlein One man’s theology is another man’s belly laugh. 25%75%

Steven Weinberg With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. 20%80%

-Robert A. Heinlein Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves. Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. 20%80%

Nicholas Humphrey In a dangerous world there will always be more people around whose prayers for their own safety have been answered than those whose prayers have not. 20%80%

-Joe My sister once claimed she spun out of control into oncoming traffic. When she looked up, she was in the opposite lane and unharmed. She said that the hand of God moved from one lane into the other - to save her. I replied, "If the hand of God can not prevent genocide in Rwanda, then it can not move you so as to save your life."... [more] 29%71%

-Jonathon Green If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him 44%56%

-Sir Julian Huxley ...any belief in supernatural creators, rulers, or influencers of natural or human process introduces an irreparable split into the universe, and prevents us from grasping its real unity. Any belief in Absolutes, whether the absolute validity of moral commandments, of authority of revelation, of inner certitudes, or of divine inspiration, erects a formidable barrier against progress and the responsibility of improvement, moral, rational, and religious.... [more] 41%59%

-Rick Reynolds I don't use the term 'miracle' lightly. I don't believe in God, or reincarnation, or destiny, or the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. 0%100%

-Rick Reynolds As far as I can tell from studying the scriptures, all you do in heaven is pretty much just sit around all day and praise the Lord. I don't know about you, but I think that after the first, oh, I don't know, 50,000,000 years of that I'd start to geta little bored.... [more] 0%100%

-Harrison Worsley I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six 0%100%

-Thomas Paine All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. 0%100%

-unknown Religion was created to calm the weak and fearfull about death, and allow them to accept it without panic. Unfortunately, religion will probably exist until the day we can extend human life. Thankfully, Science is fast approaching that day. 0%100%

-Doon Man invented God to deal with the concept of infinity. 25%75%

-Ravikiran R As long as you need an external entity to give credit to for wonderful things that happen to you or to blame for ugly things that happen to you, you need God 25%75%

-unknown If athesim is a religion, then not playing cards is a hobby. 43%57%

Mimoun Raddahi God is like Santa Claus; A great, amazing and lovely person but sadly untrue. 40%60%

-Bill Hicks You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks liked He rushed it. 47%53%

-Thomas D. Pate And on the trillionth day, Man created Gods. 0%0%

-Thomas Paine Every national church or religion has established itself by pretending some special mission from God, communicated to certain individuals. The Jews have their Moses; the Christians their Jesus Christ, their apostles and saints; and the Turks their Ma 0%0%

-John Adams, 2nd President of the United States The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion. 50%50%

-Albert Einstein Why do you write to me "God should punish the English"? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held 50%50%

-Bumper Sticker Born right the first time 50%50%

-Sacha Guitry What probably distorts everything in life is that one is convinced that one is speaking the truth because one says what one thinks. 0%0%

Denis Diderot Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. 50%50%

-Bill Hicks People ask me what I think about that woman priest thing. What, a woman priest? Women priests. Great, great. Now there's priests of both sexes I don't listen to. 53%47%

-Bob Dylan You don't count the dead, when god's on your side 60%40%

William Weil Most thinking people agree with the need for mandatory school prayer. What rankles them is the lack of algebra instruction in church. 57%43%

-Key of Twilight It's been noted that religously fundamentalist, but albeit misguided, presidents is in the top 10 lists for the reasons why there has been a marked increase in atheists. 64%36%

-Bob Dylan You never ask questions, when God's on your side 75%25%

-Haywood Newkirk Religion is a lot like NASCAR, something for the ignorant masses to believe in. 80%20%

-Annie Wood Besant No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism 56%44%

-Steve Sonu bible suggests good and evil in one perspective; church merely enforces it. 63%37%

-William Weil It is well documented that Jesus turned five loaves of bread and two small fishes into enough to feed 5000 people. However, scholars are divided on whether or not to credit Jesus with the discovery of the fish sandwich. 73%27%

-Shakti Gawain We always attract into our life whatever we think about the most, believe the most strongly, expect on the deepest level, and imagine most vividly 68%32%

-43rd President George W. Bush, United States The United States is a Christian nation founded upon Christian principles and beliefs 91%9%

-Woody Allen I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear 64%36%

-Anonymous Interesting.. Quote #4 says, "Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." and quote #5 says "Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions"! Oh yeah, forgot, Pascal was a Christian...... [more] 100%0%

-Steve It's not lying, I've really convinced myself of it 73%27%

-JP Shooter Raymond - "Buy a clue, they're free"

They're too hard to read.

Can you do something about the format?

“When people stop believing in God,they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything.” - attributed to G.K. Chesterton

When people stop believing in God
they start believing in themselves.

It is when they stop believing in love
and justice that they stop believing
in themselves.

The best notion of God is as a fictitious
personification of love and justice.

We can love and be just to one another
without Him.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
-Unknown Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence.

-Richard Lederer (Anguished English) There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages.

dilloduck said:
The inference is pretty clear.

Well, I for one don't think belief is stupid, but I do take issue with the whole, "if you don't believe what I believe, you're going to hell" thing. I just thought some of the quotes were interesting and I think when religion and government get too cozy, bad stuff happens, at least historically.

jillian said:
Well, I for one don't think belief is stupid, but I do take issue with the whole, "if you don't believe what I believe, you're going to hell" thing. I just thought some of the quotes were interesting and I think when religion and government get too cozy, bad stuff happens, at least historically.

You're position is pretty clear. You don't like right wing Chrsitians who condemn others to hell and fear the consequences of a Christian theocracy.

dilloduck said:
You're position is pretty clear. You don't like right wing Chrsitians who condemn others to hell and fear the consequences of a Christian theocracy.

It's not that I don't "like them". It's that I disagree with them. It's also that I think once one says, "everyone but people who believe what I do is going to hell", you dehumanize everyone else, see them as unsaved and can then justify terrible mistreatment.

As for the consequences of a Christian theocracy... fear? Might be.. no, probably is true. But mostly I KNOW this country isn't designed to be one and I don't want to see everything the founders created messed up.

jillian said:
It's not that I don't "like them". It's that I disagree with them. It's also that I think once one says, "everyone but people who believe what I do is going to hell", you dehumanize everyone else, see them as unsaved and can then justify terrible mistreatment.

As for the consequences of a Christian theocracy... fear? Might be.. no, probably is true. But mostly I KNOW this country isn't designed to be one and I don't want to see everything the founders created messed up.

Personally I just plain "don't like" people who dehumanize others and I agree--America wasn't designed to be a theocracy. It's far from being one too.

CharlestonChad said:
author quote quality?
-Stephen Roberts I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours 8%92%

-unknown Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church 14%86%
Doug McLeod I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence 16%84%

-Blaise Pascal Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions 9%91%

-Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. 7%93%
-Unknown Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. 15%85%

-Emo Philips When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. 15%85%

-George Bernard Shaw The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one 6%94%

-Carl Sagan You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. 11%89%

-Epicurus Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 17%83%

-Ferdinand Magellan The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church 10%90%

-Bertrand Russell And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence 4%96%

-Unknown Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence. 12%88%

-Richard Feynman But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me 18%82%

-H. L. Mencken We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart 7%93%

-Richard Lederer (Anguished English) There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages. 19%81%

-doesnt matter "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand" -Mark Twain 13%87%

-Albert Einstein A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death 9%91%

-Robert G. Ingersoll As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers 3%97%

-Stephen Jay Gould Creation science has not entered the curriculum for a reason so simple and so basic that we often forget to mention it: because it is false, and because good teachers understand exactly why it is false. What could be more destructive of that most fragile yet most precious commodity in our entire intellectual heritage -- good teaching -- than a bill forcing honorable teachers to sully their sacred trust by granting equal treatment to a doctrine not only known to be false, but calculated to undermine any general understanding of science as an enterprise?... [more] 13%88%
-Napoleon Bonaparte Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet 9%91%

-Friedrich Nietzsche Which is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's? 11%89%

-Mark Twain The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also 6%94%

-Justin Brown An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated... [more] 15%85%

-Delos B. McKown The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike 12%88%

-Carl Sagon Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence 11%89%

-Galileo Galilei I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them 7%93%

-unknown People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs 19%81%

-Bertrand Russell So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence 19%81%

-Peter O'Toole (The Ruling Class) Everything is more or less organized matter. To think so is against religion, but I think so just the same. When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself 10%90%

Donald Morgan Jesus' last words on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here. 16%84%

Gene Roddenberry We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes 11%89%

-Bumper sticker You keep believing, I'll keep evolving 18%82%

unknown Blasphemy is a victimless crime 18%82%

-Gustaf Lindborg The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail 24%76%

-Gypsy Rose Lee Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere 20%80%

-Richard Dawkins Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. 15%85%

-Benjamin Franklin The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason 12%88%

Justin Brown If the Bible is mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust it to tell us where we're going? 14%86%

-Lenny Bruce If Jesus had been killed 20 years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little Electric Chairs around their necks instead of crosses 23%77%

-Chapman Cohen Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense 21%79%

-Carl Sagan Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature... [more] 14%86%

-Stephen King The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window 13%87%

-David Brooks (The Necessity of Atheism) To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy 13%87%

-Carl Sagan Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy. 20%80%

-Robert G. Ingersoll Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? 21%79%

I-saac Asimov Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition 14%86%

-Sam Harris Whenever a man imagines that he need only believe the truth of a proposition, without evidence - that unbelievers will go to hell, that Jews drink the blood of infants - he becomes capable of anything 16%84%

-Robert G. Ingersoll God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power. Most of the gods were pleased with sacrifice, and the smell of innocent blood has ever been considered a divine a divine perfume... [more] 19%81%

-Stephen Hawking The intelligent beings in these regions should therefore not be surprised if they observe that their locality in the universe satisfies the conditions that are necessary for their existence. It is a bit like a rich person living in a wealthy neighborhood not seeing any poverty... [more] 14%86%

-Friedrich Nietzsche In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point 25%75%

-Robert G. Ingersoll The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it 19%81%

-Karl Marx Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people 23%77%

I see no difference between atheism and what you claim religion to be .... a belief in something designed to make people feel secure. In the case of atheism, it's just a bunch of anti-religious proaganda designed to justify not following religious tenets.

GunnyL said:
I see no difference between atheism and what you claim religion to be .... a belief in something designed to make people feel secure. In the case of atheism, it's just a bunch of anti-religious proaganda designed to justify not following religious tenets.

So your theory is atheists disbelieve in gods to avoid having to follow religious rules? Tell me then...which religion's rules am I trying to avoid? Bhuddism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaeism, Christianity?

I guess you can argue that Christians are Christians so they can avoid believing in Vishnu, or that Jews are Jews so they can avoid believing in Allah, but that would be as absurd as your statement above.

Forum List

Back