Assault Rifle

Stupid enough to respond to someone as undeserving as you.
Read again, if English is your language. The EXCESSIVE FASCINATION! I didn't say every owner of this arm was this way, I said that the excessive fascination with it was a problem. Maybe you do have that problem, since you associate with the neutral statement.
Don't call other people stupid.

I built my AR and have around $4500.00 into it.
I really enjoyed building it,in fact I enjoyed building it as much as I do shooting it.
Does that make me obsessive?
I also modified my FJ extensively and put far more into it than I did my AR.
I just bought a Polaris General that I plan to modify extensively.

I dont think so.
In fact I think it makes me a typical male who likes tools and tinkering and making things better.
It's guys who aren't into those things ya gotta watch out for....it just ain't natural.

The problem is not the arm or arms, it is psychology. The excessive fascination with these military style rifles indicates an unhealthy fetishism. A semi-auto 30.06 deer rifle just doesn't look 'bad', but it will sure enough kill at 600 meters and much further in the right hands.

images

So what you're saying is that all government employees, who are not in the military, should stand down to the same levels by turning in their firearms thereby meeting the levels the government expects of the civilian population since said employees are civilians too.

After all one should lead by example and we don't want the government to have any... fetishes about control and power on the civilian side now do we?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Odd that so many people on these threads don't know how to read English.

What's to fear from a non-existent group? Of course, there is no end to fear of imagined enemies.

images

All the more reason for the government to have all it's 'civilian' employees, who are not military, to turn in their firearms and comply with the laws the government expects from all the rest of the people in this nation.

Does the government fear something from some imagined enemy within our borders?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Odd that so many people on these threads don't know how to read English.

images

Are you now saying that a 30-06 isn't capable of doing the same job as the firearms that government employees who are not in the military prefer?

Or are you saying that those same government employees, who are not in the military BTW, and the government possessing those more military style firearms and utilizing those firearms for 'civil' law enforcement and security within our nation have an unhealthy fetishism in their psychology?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Last edited:
From The New York Times 21 June 2016:
-------------------------------------------------------------
At one time, military-style assault rifles like the ones used at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla., and in other mass shootings represented a relatively small segment of sales for gun manufacturers.

But in recent decades, such guns serve as one of the two financial pillars of the firearms industry, along with smaller handguns that are designed to be concealed, which have been the biggest driver of sales.

Together, the popularity of the assault rifles and small handguns highlight how the industry has changed in recent decades, as people have increasingly turned to guns for self-defense and less for hunting.

...The popularity of handguns and assault weapons, experts say, reflects a fundamental shift over recent decades in who in America is buying guns and their reason for doing so.

Although about 50 percent of homes in the United States reported owning a firearm in the 1970s, that number by 2014 had fallen to 31 percent, according to the General Social Survey.

article
At one time, military-style assault rifles like the ones used at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla., and in other mass shootings represented a relatively small segment of sales for gun manufacturers.

But in recent decades, such guns serve as one of the two financial pillars of the firearms industry, along with smaller handguns that are designed to be concealed, which have been the biggest driver of sales.

Together, the popularity of the assault rifles and small handguns highlight how the industry has changed in recent decades, as people have increasingly turned to guns for self-defense and less for hunting.

...The popularity of handguns and assault weapons, experts say, reflects a fundamental shift over recent decades in who in America is buying guns and their reason for doing so.

Although about 50 percent of homes in the United States reported owning a firearm in the 1970s, that number by 2014 had fallen to 31 percent, according to the General Social Survey.

article

The General Social Survey is an anti gun survey, run by an anti gun activist........

Is gun ownership really down in America? | Fox News

Surely, gun control advocates such as GSS director Tom Smith view this decline as a good thing. In a 2003 book of mine, I quoted Smith as saying that the large drop in gun ownership would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations.

Other gun control advocates have mentioned to me that they hope that if people believe fewer people own guns, that may cause others to rethink their decision to own one themselves. It is part of the reason they dramatically exaggerate the risks of having guns in the home.

The Associated Press and Time ignored other polls by Gallup and ABC News/Washington Post.

These polls show that gun ownership rates have been flat over the same period. According to Gallup, household gun ownership has ranged from 51 percent in 1994 to 34 percent in 1999. In 2014, it was at 42 percent – comparable to the 43-45 percent figures during the 1970s.

A 2011 Gallup poll with the headline “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993” appears to have gotten no news coverage.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership between 44 and 46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

There are other measures that suggest that we should be very careful of relying too heavily on polling to gauge the level of gun ownership. For example, the nationally number of concealed handgun permits has soared over the last decade: rising from about 2.7 million in 1999 to 4.6 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2014.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) shows that the number of gun purchases has grown dramatically over time –doubling from 2006 to 2014.

---------------

Gun industry, Bloomberg media square off over female gun owner data

Putting a pin in the balloon of rising female gun ownership, the Trace, a journalism start up funded by Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety, consulted the General Social Survey. A project of the University of Chicago’s National Opinion Research Center, the GSS has conducted a sociological survey since 1972 to collect historical data on everything from government spending to race relations.

When it comes to gun ownership by women, the pollsters noted the number has averaged about 11 percent over the past three decades with slight dips, to as low as 9.1 percent in 1989, and slight increases, to as high as 13.7 percent in 1982.

“There’s been no meaningful directional change in the percent of women owning guns,” said Tom Smith, the director of the GSS.

However, the National Shooting Sports Foundation on Thursday posted a rebuttal to the article, citing the GSS itself was flawed when it came to gun data– much as they did last yearwhen the survey noted a decline in gun ownership numbers despite eight straight years of increasing firearms sales that set all-time records.

The NSSF contends GSS isn’t actually counting the number of firearms in each household. Rather it is enumerating the number of individuals willing to talk to a stranger at their front door about how many firearms they own. The two concepts, holds the trade group, are vastly different.

“It is a staple of gun control politics to work to diminish both the size and the ever increasing diversity of the firearm-owning American citizenry,” noted Larry Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel. “The Trace provides just the latest example.”

Besides noting the trade group’s own studies in female gun ownership rates, the NSSF also bemoaned the outlet for discounting previous articles in the mainstream media.

“The Trace also asks its readers to discount CBS News, Fox News, Ad Age and dozens of local reporters nationwide (collectively, a ‘credulous press’) who have actually gone to firearms retailers and ranges to report that they see evidence of more and more women buying guns and taking up target shooting as a recreational activity,” wrote Keane.

The problem is not the arm or arms, it is psychology. The excessive fascination with these military style rifles indicates an unhealthy fetishism. A semi-auto 30.06 deer rifle just doesn't look 'bad', but it will sure enough kill at 600 meters and much further in the right hands.

Then I guess you could say the same about sports car owners.

Are you saying that sports cars, or sports car owners, are deadly out to 600 meters and more?

Cars kill more people every year than guns do....

Gun murder in 2014.... 8,124.....guns used by felons, illegally.....

Car deaths 2014....35,000

Cars kill more people accidentally than guns do when they are illegally acquired and used illegally to commit an illegal act......

And with 357,000,000 guns in private hands.......they are not a problem........

Then I guess you could say the same about sports car owners.

Are you saying that sports cars, or sports car owners, are deadly out to 600 meters and more?

And in 34 years...those rifles......that can shoot 6 yards out killed a total of 149 people in mass shootings....over 34 years...

Knives...that kill in less than 1ft......killed 1,567 people in 2014...and over 1,200 every year.....

So which is deadlier in this country...in actual people killed.....

So....with 8,000,000 rifles with detachabel magazines...they have been used to kill 149 people in 34 years

8,000,000 to 149 over 34 years.....so tell us how these rifles are a problem...except in your delusions......

article

article

The General Social Survey is an anti gun survey, run by an anti gun activist........

Surely, gun control advocates such as GSS director Tom Smith view this decline as a good thing. In a 2003 book of mine, I quoted Smith as saying that the large drop in gun ownership would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations.

Other gun control advocates have mentioned to me that they hope that if people believe fewer people own guns, that may cause others to rethink their decision to own one themselves. It is part of the reason they dramatically exaggerate the risks of having guns in the home.

The Associated Press and Time ignored other polls by Gallup and ABC News/Washington Post.

These polls show that gun ownership rates have been flat over the same period. According to Gallup, household gun ownership has ranged from 51 percent in 1994 to 34 percent in 1999. In 2014, it was at 42 percent – comparable to the 43-45 percent figures during the 1970s.

A 2011 Gallup poll with the headline “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993” appears to have gotten no news coverage.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership between 44 and 46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

There are other measures that suggest that we should be very careful of relying too heavily on polling to gauge the level of gun ownership. For example, the nationally number of concealed handgun permits has soared over the last decade: rising from about 2.7 million in 1999 to 4.6 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2014.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) shows that the number of gun purchases has grown dramatically over time –doubling from 2006 to 2014.

---------------

Putting a pin in the balloon of rising female gun ownership, the Trace, a journalism start up funded by Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety, consulted the General Social Survey. A project of the University of Chicago’s National Opinion Research Center, the GSS has conducted a sociological survey since 1972 to collect historical data on everything from government spending to race relations.

When it comes to gun ownership by women, the pollsters noted the number has averaged about 11 percent over the past three decades with slight dips, to as low as 9.1 percent in 1989, and slight increases, to as high as 13.7 percent in 1982.

“There’s been no meaningful directional change in the percent of women owning guns,” said Tom Smith, the director of the GSS.

However, the National Shooting Sports Foundation on Thursday posted a rebuttal to the article, citing the GSS itself was flawed when it came to gun data– much as they did last yearwhen the survey noted a decline in gun ownership numbers despite eight straight years of increasing firearms sales that set all-time records.

The NSSF contends GSS isn’t actually counting the number of firearms in each household. Rather it is enumerating the number of individuals willing to talk to a stranger at their front door about how many firearms they own. The two concepts, holds the trade group, are vastly different.

“It is a staple of gun control politics to work to diminish both the size and the ever increasing diversity of the firearm-owning American citizenry,” noted Larry Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel. “The Trace provides just the latest example.”

Besides noting the trade group’s own studies in female gun ownership rates, the NSSF also bemoaned the outlet for discounting previous articles in the mainstream media.

“The Trace also asks its readers to discount CBS News, Fox News, Ad Age and dozens of local reporters nationwide (collectively, a ‘credulous press’) who have actually gone to firearms retailers and ranges to report that they see evidence of more and more women buying guns and taking up target shooting as a recreational activity,” wrote Keane.

When I read that, my first thought was: why should anybody declare if they have any weapons in their home? Somebody calls on the phone and asks if you have any weapons in your home, what do you suppose the answer will be, regardless the fact?

article

article

---------------

When I read that, my first thought was: why should anybody declare if they have any weapons in their home? Somebody calls on the phone and asks if you have any weapons in your home, what do you suppose the answer will be, regardless the fact?

That is exactly the point......gun owners are not telling strangers on the phone if they have guns in their homes...

Would you?

At one time, military-style assault rifles....
Apparently her 'assault weapon' moniker has failed to generate the necessary emotional push; now it's the 'military-style assault rifles'.
Kinda sad wen you have to lie to make your point.
like the ones used at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla., and in other mass shootings represented a relatively small segment of sales for gun manufacturers.
Free market - whoohooo!
Seems reasonable to me, especially in that the right to keep and bear arms centers around self-defense.

I can't wait till the next time when they scream, red in the face....it was a really, really military assault, assault rifle.......and it was really scary.....

They have burned out the term "assault" rifle, hopefully....it will be funny and interesting to see what they do next...

At one time, military-style assault rifles....
Apparently her 'assault weapon' moniker has failed to generate the necessary emotional push; now it's the 'military-style assault rifles'.
Kinda sad wen you have to lie to make your point.
like the ones used at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla., and in other mass shootings represented a relatively small segment of sales for gun manufacturers.
Free market - whoohooo!
Seems reasonable to me, especially in that the right to keep and bear arms centers around self-defense.

I can't wait till the next time when they scream, red in the face....it was a really, really military assault, assault rifle.......and it was really scary.....

They have burned out the term "assault" rifle, hopefully....it will be funny and interesting to see what they do next...
I still prefer the DR-15

From Letter to Editor New York Times 22 June 2016:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretending that the citizen, probably carrying only a pistol or a revolver, can take on a madman firing 30 rounds a magazine is the height of fantasy. It is time for Congress to show some guts, take on the National Rifle Association, the gun industry and its supporters, and remove assault weapons from the hands of terrorists and so save more innocent American lives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

LETTER

Yes, next time a terrorist enters a room with an assault rifle, I want to see the Congress there taking it away from him.

Forum List

Back