Arkansas restores constitutional carry- no permit or license needed to carry a weapon

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Arkansas govt finally remembered that the Constitution forbids any govt from making laws restricting or prohibiting law-abiding citizens from carrying weapons, either openly or concealed. And they made a law agreeing with it.

How nice.

Four states now have this law. 53 to go.

-------------------------------------------------------

Arkansas restores constitutional carry - no permit or license required to carry weapons | Mississippi Gun News - news and information about second amendment freedom and liberty

Arkansas restores constitutional carry – no permit or license required to carry weapons

June 13, 2013

Starting next month Arkansas will join Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming and Arizona as a “Constitutional Carry” state. This means that no permit or license will be required to carry weapons, either openly or concealed for lawful purposes.

Arkansas law will handle people carrying guns the same way many state laws handle possession of “tools of burglary”. Normally you can get away with carrying common hand tools anywhere you otherwise have a right to be. But if you are caught trying to use them in an attempt at breaking and entering or even trespassing you can be charged with a crime based on obvious intent to use that tool in furtherance of a crime. This is an excellent way to deal with people carrying guns. As long as you are not harming, or attempting to harm others with a weapon then possession alone should not be a crime.

The burden of proof has shifted to the accuser (the state) who now has to prove that you are up to no good rather than you simply have the POTENTIAL for crime based on ready access to a weapon.

States can enact what they want but I think calling this "Constitutional carry" is misguided and simplistic.

States can enact what they want
They can't enact slavery, or make laws to coin their own money, or tax or regulate good flowing into their borders etc. Those things are reserved by the Constitution to the Fed govt.

but I think calling this "Constitutional carry" is misguided and simplistic.
It brings Arkansas into line with the Constitution's mandate, for the first time in a long time.

The description is VERY appropriate.

They can't enact slavery, or make laws to coin their own money, or tax or regulate good flowing into their borders etc. Those things are reserved by the Constitution to the Fed govt.

It brings Arkansas into line with the Constitution's mandate, for the first time in a long time.

They can and do coin their own money. The can and do tax and regulate goods coming into their states.
The description is grossly inaccurate. For starters, the original Constitutional 2A applied only to the federal government. States could do what they wanted. Second, all rights are subject to restrictions based on some state interest. Firearms certainly are part of that.

They can and do coin their own money.
Name one.

The can and do tax and regulate goods coming into their states.
Name one.

The description is grossly inaccurate.
As I already pointed out, the description is completely accurate.

For starters, the original Constitutional 2A applied only to the federal government.
Where does it say that?

OK, you don't want this to be true. I get that. But simply insisting it isn't true, isn't good enough. You've got to actually point out what makes it that way.

Good for them. Combining that with mandatory gun-crime sentencing would produce a more polite society.

Killing somebody is already a crime in Arkansas, whother you do it with a gun or a knife or a baseball bat. Using a gun doesn't make it any worse, just because the gun makes a more scary "bang".

Ditto for injuring somebody, or threatening them, etc.

The penalty for killing somebody should be extremely severe. Doesn't matter if you did it with a gun or something else, dead is dead.

Awesome. I need to talk to my State Senator and State Rep. I would love to get that done here.

Actually this isn't what it seems. Arkansas had a vague law for travelers. This new law was supposed to clarify the traveler law. I am from Arkansas and still have family there. Everyone I have talked to including CCW trainers have stated nothing really changed. Right now nobody has stepped up to be the test dummy to see if constitutional carry was in fact passed. If it was it was not intentional. Someone has to try it and get the courts to decide. I wish they would pass it and make it clear.

They can and do coin their own money.
Name one.

Name one.

The description is grossly inaccurate.
As I already pointed out, the description is completely accurate.

For starters, the original Constitutional 2A applied only to the federal government.
Where does it say that?

OK, you don't want this to be true. I get that. But simply insisting it isn't true, isn't good enough. You've got to actually point out what makes it that way.

On states coining money:
States consider alternative currencies of gold and silver - Feb. 3, 2012

On states regulating what comes in:
California governor mandates switch to winter-grade gasoline as prices skyrocket : Biofuels Digest

On the BoR oriignally applying just to the FedGov.
Incorporation of the Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I've provided proof for everything you seemed to believe was wrong. Will you apologize and admit I was correct? Or will you obfuscate and move the goalposts like a punk?

The first person in Arkansas to do this will be surrounded by bald headed shock troops. I kid you not. That legislation is full of holes. A nice start, but full of holes, holes that will be put into the first bumpkin that tries it.

Here is the appropriate text and laws.

Arkansas Code Annotated 5-73-119(e) (This new law becomes effective approx. 8/17/13. HB 1700)
(7) The person is on a journey beyond the county in which the person lives, unless the person is eighteen (18) years of age or less;.

Note: Court Cases concerning “On A Journey in Arkansas.” From the Case:
Donald RIGGINS, Appellant, v. STATE of Arkansas, Appellee.
No. CA CR 85–143. | Feb. 12, 1986.
Johnson v. State, 252 Ark. 1113, 482 S.W.2d 600 (1972). A journey has long been defined as
where one travels a distance from home sufficient to carry him beyond the circle of his neighbors and general acquaintances and outside of the routine of his daily business.... “The prohibition was designed to stop the carrying of weapons among one’s habitual associates; the exception was designed to permit it when necessary to defend against perils of the highway to which strangers are exposed, and that are not supposed to exist among one’s own neighbors.”

So from the laws and court cases it is constitutional carry if you are traveling outside of the county in which you reside.

So from the laws and court cases it is constitutional carry if you are traveling outside of the county in which you reside.

Exactly. It's worthless.

I have a constitutional right to carry a gun on a journey despite this watered down pile of shit from the state of Arkansas. The bald headed jackboots that run this joint will have a field day with this badly written garbage.

My Ar is fully loaded and always in my trunk.

Last edited:

They can and do coin their own money. The can and do tax and regulate goods coming into their states.
The description is grossly inaccurate. For starters, the original Constitutional 2A applied only to the federal government. States could do what they wanted. Second, all rights are subject to restrictions based on some state interest. Firearms certainly are part of that.

What part of SHALL NOT INFRINGE do you not get about the 2nd amendment? Hell every amendment within the bill of rights needs that in its wording.

Over in Mississippi, they just passed a similar carry law, but a neo-Communist judge in the nearby blood-soaked ghetto had the courts put it on hold.

$kedd.jpg

Expect the roaches to come out in Arkansas on this one too.

Exactly. It's worthless.

I have a constitutional right to carry a gun on a journey despite this watered down pile of shit from the state of Arkansas. The bald headed jackboots that run this joint will have a field day with this badly written garbage.

My Ar is fully loaded and always in my trunk.

I agree. When I drive through parts of Arkansas my 44 is in the car near me. Too many lowlifes around West Memphis and Little Rock/North Little Rock

West Memphis could not be any worse a place to live. It's a cesspool. Pine Bluff and Little Rock are also garbage especially with that presidential trailer, I mean library. My earliest memories of Pine Bluff was of some drunk black guy with liquor in one hand and his penis in the other pissing beside the road next to his burning car.

Forum List

Back