Are 'real blacks' pissed off about only fake blacks being used in every commercial aired on T.V.? Why are advertisers afraid to use 'real blacks'?

Literally every single commercial features a black person right now (apparently BLM sent the rulebook to all advertisers) but all the featured blacks are well dressed, well spoken, articulate, often light skinned or half black.....
Anyhoo, why aren't any hood blacks featured in these ad campaigns...why are advertisers ashamed of 'real blacks'?
Commercials with blacks in them bother you now?

Literally every single commercial features a black person right now (apparently BLM sent the rulebook to all advertisers) but all the featured blacks are well dressed, well spoken, articulate, often light skinned or half black.....
Anyhoo, why aren't any hood blacks featured in these ad campaigns...why are advertisers ashamed of 'real blacks'?

Advertising agencies bring actors on board who they think can sell their product to do TV commercials..

The truth be told, most people of any race hired to do this kind of gig are usually well dressed , well spoken and intelligent, or at least can pretend to do so for 30 seconds in a convincing manner.
Who do they think will buy more of their products, unemployed black dregs or working white America?

Obviously they know that including blacks in commercials increase people buying their products or they wouldn't be doing it. I'm pretty sure they do more research for their customer demographic than people on this forum.
I am sure they do more research, but perhaps being woke is of equal importance as increasing sales. And if the company in fact does increase sales to blacks, lets say, but decreases them to the larger population of people, how is that better for the company?

I don't believe there is actually a decrease in sales to white people.
Well there was to one.

So if they add a dozen black professionals as customers, they come out ahead.
Maybe but proportionally they may not. For the 12 they add they could lose say 60 others. But like you say, these are all smart companies they know what they are doing right?

Real blacks? Do you actually think all blacks are hood rats? Surely you are not that ignorant.
Not at all...that's just what most blacks tell us....You know who Uncle Tom is right?

I have never known a black that claimed most blacks are hood rats. Most of the black people I know are productive members of society and professionals.
You've never known a real black then...according to hood blacks.
So, you're a hood rat?

Advertising agencies bring actors on board who they think can sell their product to do TV commercials..

The truth be told, most people of any race hired to do this kind of gig are usually well dressed , well spoken and intelligent, or at least can pretend to do so for 30 seconds in a convincing manner.
Who do they think will buy more of their products, unemployed black dregs or working white America?

Depends on the product/service be sold and the marketing plan of the company in question.

The Pontiac g6 was marketed to ghetto dwellers, blacks are the largest consumers of watermelons, malt liquor, payday lending outfits and newports as well.

Know your product, know your target audience.
Yes, that makes sense. But I don't see any particular targeting like that as much now. Gays, mixed, blacks touting everything from new cars to arthritis medicine.

Real blacks? Do you actually think all blacks are hood rats? Surely you are not that ignorant.
Not at all...that's just what most blacks tell us....You know who Uncle Tom is right?

I have never known a black that claimed most blacks are hood rats. Most of the black people I know are productive members of society and professionals.
Ok then, so the commercials have it right.....right?

Commercials are a pretty lousy way of judging a society. A company PAYS to have them made, with the expressed intention of attracting more customers. It is not reality any more than the older commercials that showed women cleaning their house in a nice dress in heels.
I agree with that. It's just that now every commercial is at least a mixed family if not all black.....which is certainly not realistic and if anything turns me away from the product. Seems like it would be wiser to at least have a balance.
Or at least reflect the actual demographics of the country and not some progressive view of what they would like it to be.

And what would that actual demographic look like?
Your question is disingenuous or you are being obtuse. If you watch the ads during the evening news or prime time, the make up of the populace is made out to be about 50-75% black when they comprise 13% of the population. Each ad also contains, in some way, a non-traditional family, i.e. two gay parents, mixed race unions, etc. I am not denying that these cases exist, but not in the number that they try to portray. White actors do not comprise the 63% of the ad that would reflect the actual demographic of the US. Does that make sense to you now or are you going to pretend that you don't understand again.

I understand completely. I also understand that Madison Avenue does not just hire actors at random. They do a lot of research before they make a commercial.

I tell you what they probably know. And that is that blacks are more likely to notice the inclusion of people of color in a commercial than the overwhelming majority of white people. I think what the OP doesn't realize is that the vast majority of white people don't care about what color the actor in a commercial might be.
I think that historically, your last sentence is correct, however, I believe more and more white people are beginning to realize that they are being marginalized and discriminated against and the economic blowback may just be beginning. I could be wrong, but I don't think that these large companies are going to sit idle when their sales numbers go down.

Obviously they know that including blacks in commercials increase people buying their products or they wouldn't be doing it. I'm pretty sure they do more research for their customer demographic than people on this forum.
I am sure they do more research, but perhaps being woke is of equal importance as increasing sales. And if the company in fact does increase sales to blacks, lets say, but decreases them to the larger population of people, how is that better for the company?

Cool THEORY.
But anybody familiar with marketing knows that ad campaigns should and always have featured company X's target consumer for obvious reasons.
Right now, reality and real world practice has been put on the back-burner so the "Who can be the Woke-est" game can be played amongst the programmed fools. This crazy backwards Twilight Zone shit isn't sustainable....it is quite fascinating however.

Just FYI, the number of interracial marriages is growing rapidly. Nationally, it is up 10.2%.

from:Too Many African Americans in TV Ads? – journal-isms.com
"Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox, African Americans appeared in 32 percent of them. Additionally, 3.3 percent of the ads featured only black actors, 28.7 percent featured both black and white actors, 58.8 percent featured only whites, and 9.1 percent had actors of an “East Asian facial cast.”"

Commercials are a pretty lousy way of judging a society. A company PAYS to have them made, with the expressed intention of attracting more customers. It is not reality any more than the older commercials that showed women cleaning their house in a nice dress in heels.
I agree with that. It's just that now every commercial is at least a mixed family if not all black.....which is certainly not realistic and if anything turns me away from the product. Seems like it would be wiser to at least have a balance.
Or at least reflect the actual demographics of the country and not some progressive view of what they would like it to be.

Your question is disingenuous or you are being obtuse. If you watch the ads during the evening news or prime time, the make up of the populace is made out to be about 50-75% black when they comprise 13% of the population. Each ad also contains, in some way, a non-traditional family, i.e. two gay parents, mixed race unions, etc. I am not denying that these cases exist, but not in the number that they try to portray. White actors do not comprise the 63% of the ad that would reflect the actual demographic of the US. Does that make sense to you now or are you going to pretend that you don't understand again.

I understand completely. I also understand that Madison Avenue does not just hire actors at random. They do a lot of research before they make a commercial.

I tell you what they probably know. And that is that blacks are more likely to notice the inclusion of people of color in a commercial than the overwhelming majority of white people. I think what the OP doesn't realize is that the vast majority of white people don't care about what color the actor in a commercial might be.
Truth be told, I can't remember the last time I made a purchase based on a commercial. I can tell you that there are many products that I quit purchasing because of some of these cockamamie Madison ave. decisions. Vilify me because of my race or values and I'll NEVER purchase that product again.

I think that historically, your last sentence is correct, however, I believe more and more white people are beginning to realize that they are being marginalized and discriminated against and the economic blowback may just be beginning. I could be wrong, but I don't think that these large companies are going to sit idle when their sales numbers go down.

I disagree. I think the vast majority of white people don't care.

Cool THEORY.
But anybody familiar with marketing knows that ad campaigns should and always have featured company X's target consumer for obvious reasons.
Right now, reality and real world practice has been put on the back-burner so the "Who can be the Woke-est" game can be played amongst the programmed fools. This crazy backwards Twilight Zone shit isn't sustainable....it is quite fascinating however.

Your premise relies on two things, and both are wrong in my opinion.

#1 - That white people won't buy a product if a black person is in the commercial.
#2 - That blacks aren't a valued part of the customer base for most products.

I guess if you think most blacks are hood rats, I can see how you would think that.

Just FYI, the number of interracial marriages is growing rapidly. Nationally, it is up 10.2%.

"Andrew Rojecki, an associate professor of communication at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is co-author of “The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America,” published in 2000.
He and co-author Robert M. Entman found that in their sample of 1,620 ads on ABC, NBC, and Fox, African Americans appeared in 32 percent of them. Additionally, 3.3 percent of the ads featured only black actors, 28.7 percent featured both black and white actors, 58.8 percent featured only whites, and 9.1 percent had actors of an “East Asian facial cast.”"
Sadly that's true...but again, the depiction we see on television is one that is very inaccurate.
Here's reality.
180ajl.jpg

Well there was to one.

So if they add a dozen black professionals as customers, they come out ahead.
Maybe but proportionally they may not. For the 12 they add they could lose say 60 others. But like you say, these are all smart companies they know what they are doing right?

As I have said, if the commercials do not improve sales they will be pulled and that type of commercial will not be repeated.

I disagree. I think the vast majority of white people don't care.
You are entitled to your opinion. I feel that if a company doesn't respect my purchasing power, then they don't need it. Fine with me.

Sadly that's true...but again, the depiction we see on television is one that is very inaccurate.
Here's reality.
180ajl.jpg

That is not reality. That is your wishful thinking.

The actual OP was about "fake blacks" being used in commercials and not "real blacks" (meaning hood rats).

Cool THEORY.

#1 - That white people won't buy a product if a black person is in the commercial.

I guess if you think most blacks are hood rats, I can see how you would think that.
Look, I don't make the rules....this shit is elementary level marketing 101 stuff.
Your feel good theory relies on pretending that more than 40% of blacks aren't on the taxpayer tit...why would company X pitch themselves and or their products or services to a demographic with no money?

Cool THEORY.

Look, I don't make the rules....this shit is elementary level marketing 101 stuff.
Your feel good theory relies on pretending that more than 40% of blacks aren't on the taxpayer tit...why would company X pitch themselves and or their products or services to a demographic with no money?

Depends on what they sell. The average income for black families is $41,500. That buys a few products.

Cool THEORY.

Entry level marketing 101 tells you that you use your advertising to increase sales and draw in customer. If you aren't doing that, you change the way you advertise.

You say there are more and more black and interracial people in commercials. That means the advertising works.

Of course, you also said that the "real blacks" are all hood rats, so we can take all of your posts with a grain of salt.

Forum List

Back