Archie Bunker belonged to a union

I saw a few repeats the other day and I was surprised that Bunker, the caricature of rightwing lunacy, belonged to a union.

It got me wondering....when did unions become the devil incarnate? Was it under Reagan?

Yeah, yeah, I know it is only a tv show but it seemingly matched the general mood at the time.

Honest answers welcome. :)

Bigotry runs aplenty among blue collar unions.

I saw a few repeats the other day and I was surprised that Bunker, the caricature of rightwing lunacy, belonged to a union.

It got me wondering....when did unions become the devil incarnate? Was it under Reagan?

Yeah, yeah, I know it is only a tv show but it seemingly matched the general mood at the time.

Yep and it has allowed them to be manipulated against their own best interests.

It happened when the right wing sold out the working class to fortify the wealthy

Ron Reagan

Didn't need no welfare state... Everybody pulled his weight...

Gee Our old Lasalle ran great...
Those were the days! :)
I swear, I never could figure out that line. Thank you! WTF is a Lasalle, some kind of car???

it was a baby cadillac. they rerecorded the theme song with emphasis on those lines because nobody could understand them.

37%20LaSalle%20Coupe.jpg

Are you aware that unions traditionally were bigoted, ignorant, irrational, and illogical? Why are you even remotely surprised that they are no longer relevant in today's society? My question is why do liberals, who are supposed to be about individual and minority rights, support organizations that traditionally opposed those things, and that consider liberals to be meatheads? Are today's liberals all masochists?

Are you aware that unions traditionally were bigoted, ignorant, irrational, and illogical? Why are you even remotely surprised that they are no longer relevant in today's society? My question is why do liberals, who are supposed to be about individual and minority rights, support organizations that traditionally opposed those things, and that consider liberals to be meatheads? Are today's liberals all masochists?

so you are saying that the unions were replaced by the Tea Party?

so you are saying that the unions were replaced by the Tea Party?

Democrats.

Funny, I thought Unions were a tool of self reliant workers to pull themselves up from third world status w/o counting on Big Government to save them.

Oh well, if you prefer the world of government enforced standards.

Also, you say corrupt union I say Pinkerton murderous corporation. Effect / Cause type of thing.

Unions do need to re-brand themselves in the 21st Century though. Big Government does most of what unions were invented to do.

Union men have always been Democrats.

Funny, I thought Unions were a tool of self reliant workers to pull themselves up from third world status w/o counting on Big Government to save them.

Oh well, if you prefer the world of government enforced standards.

Also, you say corrupt union I say Pinkerton murderous corporation. Effect / Cause type of thing.

Unions do need to re-brand themselves in the 21st Century though. Big Government does most of what unions were invented to do.

I did not say corrupt union. I pointed out that, historically, unions are bigoted. They kept the Irish, then the Chinese, then Blacks, etc., from getting jobs. They were quite happy at pulling themselves out of the muck, but they did it by climbing over the bodies of people who were different.

Bunker was a bully. Pussy bully idiot, but a bully none the less. He would fit right in with a union.

Perhaps. But I'm not talking about the bigotry of Bunker. I'm talking about his conservative views in general.

Why did unions become bad things to conservatives?

Perhaps. But I'm not talking about the bigotry of Bunker. I'm talking about his conservative views in general.

Common sense? The curtain being pulled and the wizard coming to light? Someone finally saying that the emperor has no clothes? Seeing the strings pulling the puppets? Some lemming who didn't want to jump? Figuring out the magicians trick? Standing up to the school bully? Choking on something to big to swallow?

Or how about archie bunker. Those were the days.

Common sense? The curtain being pulled and the wizard coming to light? Someone finally saying that the emperor has no clothes? Seeing the strings pulling the puppets? Some lemming who didn't want to jump? Figuring out the magicians trick? Standing up to the school bully? Choking on something to big to swallow?

:lol: Hyperbolic talking points are meaningless.

:lol: Much easier than having to think it through however...

Only if they are statements. :lol:

Forum List

Back