Anyone?

They didn’t have Excel in 1950, old man. Don’t lie.
Is there any particular reason you are acting like a fucktard on this topic?

Who went to school in 1950s? You?

I taught Excel in a community education course for adults in 1997 at night, after regular school hours.

Every one of my kids received instruction in all types of computer software when they were in high school from 1997-2012. If your kids have not gotten the instruction yet it is because they are too young. You really don't know your kids curriculum I'll bet!

I recently read about a more low tech education style with less reliance on computers and screens where kids actually read books and take notes with pen and paper.

It seems to be a good idea. I know that I retain more information when I actually write it down instead of typing it into a computer.

What do yo teachers think?
Research has shown that writing by hand is much better for retaining information. On the other hand, most work in the future will require the use of technology.

Research has shown that writing by hand is much better for retaining information. On the other hand, most work in the future will require the use of technology.
It's a bit of a paradox.

And the use of technology is one thing but I still think learning the low tech way might be better especially for the lower grades.

Is there any particular reason you are acting like a fucktard on this topic?

Who went to school in 1950s? You?

I taught Excel in a community education course for adults in 1997 at night, after regular school hours.

Every one of my kids received instruction in all types of computer software when they were in high school from 1997-2012. If your kids have not gotten the instruction yet it is because they are too young. You really don't know your kids curriculum I'll bet!
I was in HS in 1997. No one taught me Excel lol. More lies from you.

I was in HS in 1997. No one taught me Excel lol. More lies from you.
Lies? Why would I lie?

Where did you attend school? The John Wayne Gacy High School for Wayward Boys? Our Lady of Perpetual Motion? Temple Kosher High School?

When my son was in high school, one of his teachers paid him to design and maintain a website for his professional baseball scouting that he did as a second job.

Lies? Why would I lie?

Where did you attend school? The John Wayne Gacy High School for Wayward Boys? Our Lady of Perpetual Motion? Temple Kosher High School?

When my son was in high school, one of his teachers paid him to design and maintain a website for his professional baseball scouting that he did as a second job.
Brookline High School in Brookline MA

Brookline High School in Brookline MA
I took computer programming back when Basic was used in 1975. If I am not mistaken, I am much older than you as my grandchildren are about the same age as your children.

I am betting the courses were offered, but they were not Jewish enough for you, so you pretend they did not exist.

I took computer programming back when Basic was used in 1975. If I am not mistaken, I am much older than you as my grandchildren are about the same age as your children.

I am betting the courses were offered, but they were not Jewish enough for you, so you pretend they did not exist.
I took a computer course too but it wasn’t Excel. There were never any networking classes or public speaking. You do you, old man.

It's a bit of a paradox.

And the use of technology is one thing but I still think learning the low tech way might be better especially for the lower grades.
We don't have kids write with quills anymore either. I think before too long words written on paper in general will be seen as an obsolete waste of resources.

We don't have kids write with quills anymore either. I think before too long words written on paper in general will be seen as an obsolete waste of resources.
The fact is that the act of writing results in better retention than the act of typing.

People can type rather quickly but they also don't retain the same amount of information

It seems to me that writing integrates more brain power be devoted to what is being said. For example you listen to the instructor, you have to quickly identify the salient points then you also see the words as you are physically writing them. People can type without even looking at the keyboard. As a typist to produce a document and at the end of it he'll remember very little of what he typed.

I don't see how that can be considered a waste of resources especially since a great deal of paper these days is recycled.

I took a computer course too but it wasn’t Excel. There were never any networking classes or public speaking. You do you, old man.
Well, duh! Networking was in it's infancy! I took care of our now dinosaur network for my school in the late 90s. Why would you have a class on something that was changing by the minute? When was in college, I was a computer science major. By the time I reached my senior year, my degree would have been worthless because of the changes that occurred during that shot time period.

The value of public speaking instruction is debatable. (See what I did there!) We had interscholastic debate teams for those students who were so inclined. The only public speaking course I ever had was through the Navy recruiting and that consisted of perhaps 10 total hours of instruction and practice speeches.

You really should reassess your limited and biased experience in education because you don't really have a grip on reality.

Well, duh! Networking was in it's infancy! I took care of our now dinosaur network for my school in the late 90s. Why would you have a class on something that was changing by the minute? When was in college, I was a computer science major. By the time I reached my senior year, my degree would have been worthless because of the changes that occurred during that shot time period.

The value of public speaking instruction is debatable. (See what I did there!) We had interscholastic debate teams for those students who were so inclined. The only public speaking course I ever had was through the Navy recruiting and that consisted of perhaps 10 total hours of instruction and practice speeches.

You really should reassess your limited and biased experience in education because you don't really have a grip on reality.
IMO networking, public speaking, Excel, PowerPoint are essential. The rest is less important. You do you.

Does anyone really want to discuss education? Not rehashing one dead horse talking point endlessly, or decrying all teachers as monsters? Unions tend toward sucking, ALL racism is bad, and every profession has some nut jobs working in it. Ok? Do we have that out of the way now? Anyone interested in really discussing methodologies, challenges, teaching/learning experiences, or possible changes? We have established by now that some people are advocates for home schooling, vouchers, or charter schools. Some people want cameras surgically implanted in all teachers, rigged to explode if a parent sitting on the sofa at home sees something she doesn't like. Got it? Now, how about discussing education?
There are two kinds of people that can pass on knowledge, teachers and educators.

Teachers parrot fashion the terminology from text books. Educators use laymen terms to allow students to learn. The "education" system employs 99% of teachers, that's why state education is shit.

The number one failure when it come to educating today youth is the failure at home…

Our parents took the time to help and teach us but today parents fail miserably in that duty…
Learning Is a Chore at School, Not at Home

Again, compare that to sports. Does the coach lazily demonstrate some play, then evade responsibility by telling his team, "I hope your parents care about your athletic skills and keep on you to practice this at home."

I disagree, spending four years at a university accruing $50K-$100K for a degree that pays $35K/yr to start is far more crippling.

You can't get rid of student debt.

Whereas I could spend four years performing volunteer work, or reading a book...or whatever, while accruing no debt, and be much better off in comparison.

There are gradations

I disagree here as well. That is also a big assumption on your part. Emotional growth can be achieved away from home, meeting new individuals, expanding your mind through education and acquired relationships.
An Obsolete Aristocratic Institution That Needs to Be Guillotined

The University was exclusively designed for the rich to buy important and lucrative jobs for their entitled brats, who never would have gotten them based on natural talent. You are totally focused on tuition, so I dare the plutocrats to just pay their brats' tuition and give them nothing to live on. Just like everybody else, they'd have to suffer through a miserable and maturity-destroying lifestyle off jobs fit only for high-schoolers after school hours.

The fact is that the act of writing results in better retention than the act of typing.

People can type rather quickly but they also don't retain the same amount of information

It seems to me that writing integrates more brain power be devoted to what is being said. For example you listen to the instructor, you have to quickly identify the salient points then you also see the words as you are physically writing them. People can type without even looking at the keyboard. As a typist to produce a document and at the end of it he'll remember very little of what he typed.

I don't see how that can be considered a waste of resources especially since a great deal of paper these days is recycled.

I can go for that.

But the cursive wars are downright stupid. Let it go, everyone. We're also not drawing pictographs on cave walls anymore. Cursive is lovely and if anyone wants to learn it, they should. Spending hours and hours at school teaching third graders to produce cursive is beyond unproductive.

All Republics Go Bananas

How about representative government sucks, not the public? We are forced by the elitist tyranny of the Constitution to pick between two pre-owned candidates; how is that our fault and not the fault of the Founding Fodder? The only thing those wags wearing wigs meant by "We, the people" was "We, the people in this Conventional Hall, who know more about who should govern and how our types should govern than all those people out there, not here with us, know. The public be damned."

Electing is not voting; it is being forced to let some sheltered know-it-all, Beltway rat to do all your voting on the issues for you.

All Republics Go Bananas

How about representative government sucks, not the public? We are forced by the elitist tyranny of the Constitution to pick between two pre-owned candidates; how is that our fault and not the fault of the Founding Fodder? The only thing those wags wearing wigs meant by "We, the people" was "We, the people in this Conventional Hall, who know more about who should govern and how our types should govern than all those people out there, not here with us, know. The public be damned."

Electing is not voting; it is being forced to let some sheltered know-it-all, Beltway rat to do all your voting on the issues for you.
Take your off-topic trolling somewhere else, nut case.

Forum List

Back