Anyone ever listen to King's X?

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
If you know them, you know them. They were an alt-rock band in the late 80's-early 90's who were one of those "almost made it" bands. Huge in the underground but never got commercial fame.

They're best stuff ended in the mid 90's, but I've recently returned to listening to some of their music.. Anyone else into em?

I really liked their first few albums. Out Of a Silent Planet, their first album, was quite good. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, their second album, was even better. I believe it featured the song, "Over My Head". Good music, thanks for bringing them up.

I really liked their first few albums. Out Of a Silent Planet, their first album, was quite good. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, their second album, was even better. I believe it featured the song, "Over My Head". Good music, thanks for bringing them up.
Oddly enough, I was never a HUGE fan of "Over my Head", nor was I ever into the "Out of the Silent Planet" album, although I know many who were.

On Gretchen from 1989, I love "Summerland", "Send a Message" and "Burning Down".

Then, you can't bring up King's X without mentioning the album "Faith Hope Love" from 1990, and the ringer "It's Love", along with "We are finding who we are".

The followup self-titled album from 1992 was even stronger. "Lost in Germany", "Black Flag", "Prisoner", and "Not Just for the Dead", along with "Silent Wind" as the last song... amazing album.

However, Their best album IMO is Dogman in 1994. The whole freakin' thing sounds like it should have been played on mainstream radio alongside Nirvana/Alice in Chains. "Cigarettes", "Fool You", "Black the Sky", "Dogman" "Complain" (Crank the volume to that one), "Human Behavior" all MAJOR songs of my youth, and still stick with me today.

The album Ear Candy in 1996 was probably their last good stuff IMO. "The Train", "A box", and "Thinkin' and Wonderin" were strong tracks.

If you know them, you know them. They were an alt-rock band in the late 80's-early 90's who were one of those "almost made it" bands. Huge in the underground but never got commercial fame.

They're best stuff ended in the mid 90's, but I've recently returned to listening to some of their music.. Anyone else into em?
Repetitious drek. Sub par lirics.

What have you done that you think perhaps no one else here has done?

Not with much seriousness, no. They were better thann 99% of contemporary bands for sure.

I have my doubts on that. Kings X is from like..Living Colour days.
They were good, so was Fishbone.

Music simply just sucks anymore since the retard revolution.

All this was before that. During the pinnacle of music days.

Last edited:
I have my doubts on that. Kings X is from like..Living Colour days.
They were good, so was Fishbone.

Music simply just sucks anymore since the retard revolution.

All this was before that. During the pinnacle of music days.

Cult of Personality came out in 1988, King's X Out of the Silent Planet was the same year.. I don't think you can say that King's X sat back and watched Cult of Personality succeed and then moved forward based on that.

Cult of Personality came out in 1988, King's X Out of the Silent Planet was the same year.. I don't think you can say that King's X sat back and watched Cult of Personality succeed and then moved forward based on that.
And I certainly didn't.

Just went back and listened to many songs from the Dogman CD... it stills blows my mind that they didn't clear the barrier to mainstream for the early 90's time period in music.

Forum List

Back