Any there old folks here who still sleep in late, like I do?

Well I'm not a senior, but I go to bed usually between two and three in the morning and don't wake up until between ten and eleven.

Even though I'm well past 60 I like to stay up late usually between midnight and 1 am and then don't get up till 8 or 9. Is that weird or are there other senior night owls out there? Just curious.
This is what I call "Retirement".

It's also why so many die within 5 years of retiring.

I spent most of my life staying in pretty good shape.

Now that I don't have a job, I have a tendency to stay home and watch TV.

Best way to end up in an early grave I know of.

Not sure what you mean. I'm quite fit I just stay up late and sleep late.

My job is busy and keeps my mind active. I will retire at 57 and am a little afraid of this....because it seems I have two speeds: full on GO or....complete inertia.

I have about three more good years left, but after that, could probably do some version of what I do now, but part-time. I want to do that. I feel that if I fully retire at 57 I will just....hit full backpedal.

It's all in perspective. I woke at 5:15a for 13 years so I could SS&S and commute 26 miles to be on time at 7:00a.
I sleep until 7:30a now. I'm retired, so I'm not waking up thirty minutes late, but I still like to think that I am.

My job is busy and keeps my mind active. I will retire at 57 and am a little afraid of this....because it seems I have two speeds: full on GO or....complete inertia.

I have about three more good years left, but after that, could probably do some version of what I do now, but part-time. I want to do that. I feel that if I fully retire at 57 I will just....hit full backpedal.
It's a big adjustment for sure. I happen to have a lot of interests that keep me busy, but my wife is going to have a hard time fully retiring.

I waited till I was 64, but I didn't have much of a choice because COVID hit, and my wife started coming down with Dementia.

So I had to retire from working for the government. Somebody had to watch my wife. I should have retired 2 years earlier because the biggest stress was what was I going to find out that she had done every day I got home. She started getting in wrecks and kept forgetting what she did with her car keys. Important things started disappearing at home. She started hoarding stuff and hiding it everywhere.

I’m 73, been retired some 20+ years now. We usually head to bed around 10, watch a sitcom of some kind and lights out at 10:30 or so.

Usually get up between 7 and 8.

I come from a family who were night owls. From age 18 to 60 I was up from 0500 till 2300. After that I normally go to bed at 0200-0300 but I'm awake at 8 or 9 AM. I don't suffer any problems except for accidents.

/——/ I’m in bed by 10 and awake around 5-5:30
I did that for 18 years working for the Dept of The Army.
Before that I was working the Swing Shift at TRANE for 8 years.
Before that I was in the Army. Going to the field was an experience.
3 days without sleep is really fun.
On patrols you got sleep when you had a spare 30 mins.
This is where I learned to sleep standing up.

Used to be I couldn't sleep with the TV on.
Now it literally can put me to sleep.

Last edited:
I waited till I was 64, but I didn't have much of a choice because COVID hit, and my wife started coming down with Dementia.

So I had to retire from working for the government. Somebody had to watch my wife. I should have retired 2 years earlier because the biggest stress was what was I going to find out that she had done every day I got home. She started getting in wrecks and kept forgetting what she did with her car keys. Important things started disappearing at home. She started hoarding stuff and hiding it everywhere.
Very sorry to read this, that's an awful thing to have to deal with.

Even though I'm well past 60 I like to stay up late usually between midnight and 1 am and then don't get up till 8 or 9. Is that weird or are there other senior night owls out there? Just curious.
Nope. I am pretty much the same. Too many years I think of burning the midnight oil in my work has so set my biological clock that I don't want sleep until midnight or later, sometimes much later. And I normally don't get up until after 8 p.m. and sometimes I will sleep past 9.

I did that for 18 years working for the Dept of The Army.
Before that I was working the Swing Shift at TRANE for 8 years.
Before that I was in the Army. Going to the field was an experience.
3 days without sleep is really fun.
On patrols you got sleep when you had spare 30 mins.
This is where I learned to sleep standing up.

Used to be I couldn't sleep with the TV on.
Now it literally can put me to sleep.
/——/ It’s not by choice I get up so early.

I’m 73, been retired some 20+ years now. We usually head to bed around 10, watch a sitcom of some kind and lights out at 10:30 or so.

Usually get up between 7 and 8.
Do you have children?

I don't.

So the only thing I have to do is watch my wife, worry about what she's destroying in the kitchen when I try to sleep, and taking care of my house and my pets.

You retired when you were fairly young....so you've gone thru the depression part.
I had this problem when I retired from the Army at age 40.
I was in depression for a couple of years, but I got a job and it basically started my second life.
Now I'm retired for the second time and I'm seeing that my country is falling apart, thanks to the idiots that can't spot it or want to ignore it.
I spent a lot of time overseas and saw firsthand what other countries are like.
I see America becoming Cuba.
It doesn't happen all at once, but in small increments.
The degenerates that are paid to make it happen are leaving and enjoying the riches they stole from us, along with their numerous homes, while we're left to enjoy the crap they unloaded on us.

So why should we celebrate Independence when our country is being run by people who don't understand the meaning of the word independence.

Forum List

Back