Another Myth

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.

I frequently encounter the false conception that children are better at learning a second (or 3rd, or 4th, etc.) language than adults. Leaving aside first language acquisition (including symmetrical bilingualism), children are very frequently more successful in acquiring a second language in the long run, but adults are in many ways far more skilled language learners. Maybe that will seem like splitting hairs, but the point remains.

The only point that remains is you're an idiot.

Big Chief Buttlove must have gotten lost again.

It's sad to hear people convince themselves that if they are a day over the critical period they 'cannot' learn another language.

I used to work for a company based in Luxembourg, where virtually everyone is forced to learn four languages in school. The company had an extensive training program for people who needed to learn additional languages for foreign service. Several years ago they stopped offering the language programs to people over 40. Such people were, in their opinion, not teachable.

I don't feel unteachable, but maybe I am.

I used to work for a company based in Luxembourg, where virtually everyone is forced to learn four languages in school. The company had an extensive training program for people who needed to learn additional languages for foreign service. Several years ago they stopped offering the language programs to people over 40. Such people were, in their opinion, not teachable.

They were quite wrong.

Their conclusion was based on attempts to teach languages to a fairly substantial number of intelligent, linquistic, adult employees (probably 30-50 over several years), most of whom already spoke several languages. A good friend of mine (from Luxembourg) speaks Lux, French, German, and English, then married a Mexican woman when he was in his 50's, and has been totally unable to master even conversational Spanish, despite 5 years of moderate effort.

Your conclusion to the contrary is based on...?

Their conclusion was based on attempts to teach languages to a fairly substantial number of intelligent, linquistic, adult employees (probably 30-50 over several years), most of whom already spoke several languages. A good friend of mine (from Luxembourg) speaks Lux, French, German, and English, then married a Mexican woman when he was in his 50's, and has been totally unable to master even conversational Spanish, despite 5 years of moderate effort.

Your conclusion to the contrary is based on...?

A masters degree in Linguistics and 22 years of teaching students of all ages.

...... then married a Mexican woman when he was in his 50's, and has been totally unable to master even conversational Spanish, despite 5 years of moderate effort......

BS has been called. That would not be moderate effort, it would be zero.

If you are being truthful, then your observations have merit. But in this forum, one never knows.

read up on sientific studys.

short : the linguistic center in the brains of children are variable enabling them to learn multiple languages equaly.

adult that is finished human brains do not have this quality anymore

in general children are better at learning language then adults

from my personal experience, i lived in the philipines and spoke more english from the age of 11 to 15, i still dream in english sometimes and i can think some ideas better in english then in german

short : the linguistic center in the brains of children are variable enabling them to learn multiple languages equaly.

Do you have a link/reference?

You misunderstand

Forum List

Back