Another moment of gun self defense...no shots fired, armed robber runs away. A woman uses gun to save herself.....

I'd probably tell the police that there is someone running around trying to terrorize the neighborhood. Gun owners probably are not as conscientious as I am though.
You would tell them you pulled your gun on him, given that you could be charged with something if you did one thing wrong? Apparently, you are not someone who just wants to be left alone.

What would you do? Let the rapist or whatever just run free...and not tell the cops?
It depends on the situation. If I was likely to end up more hassled than the potential assailant, maybe not.

Hey you addressed me. I'm sorry you don't like how the conversation is going.

But here are the facts. I'd report a marauder to the police. You said that you may not.
You decided to go juvenile, not me. And good for you to report it. Of course, in your case you would not be armed so it might be a little difficult to make that call, but hey.

Looks like Corny Candy is trying to derail yet another thread on the 2nd.

LIke them better when they're in Badlands, Corny?

Suicide =guns. Once the trigger is pulled, there no going back.

Again...you try this every time...but you can't explain to us how it is that Japan, China, and South Korea, with extreme gun control...kill themselves at higher rates than we do..in fact, at times, Canada beats us too...

false
The rose bowl seats 92,000 and change. He expects you to believe that everyone you see below has defended themselves with a gun in the last year….

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 5.36.29 PM.png

Not me.....these guys, actual researchers, professional researchers for both the government and the private sector......the Centers for Disease Control, and the Department of Justice as just two of about 18 research groups.....

Here, the numbers...

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

2021 national firearm survey, Prof. William English, PhD. designed by Deborah Azrael of Harvard T. Chan School of public policy, and Mathew Miller, Northeastern university.......1.67 million defensive uses annually.

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

2021 national firearms survey..

The survey was designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University,
----
The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year. Handguns are the most common firearm employed for self-defense (used in 65.9% of defensive incidents), and in most defensive incidents (81.9%) no shot was fired. Approximately a quarter (25.2%) of defensive incidents occurred within the gun owner's home, and approximately half (53.9%) occurred outside their home, but on their property. About one out of ten (9.1%) defensive gun uses occurred in public, and about one out of twenty (4.8%) occurred at work.
2021 National Firearms Survey

false
The rose bowl seats 92,000 and change. He expects you to believe that everyone you see below has defended themselves with a gun in the last year….

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 5.36.29 PM.png

I've never seen an actual platypus.....therefore, according to your logic, they do not exist. There are some people who have never seen snow....does that mean that snow does not exist?

Not me.....these guys, actual researchers, professional researchers for both the government and the private sector......the Centers for Disease Control, and the Department of Justice as just two of about 18 research groups.....

Here, the numbers...

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

The name of the group doing the study, the year of the study, the number of defensive gun uses and if police and military defensive gun uses are included.....notice the bill clinton and obama defensive gun use research is highlighted.....

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, no military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, no military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, no military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, no military)

2021 national firearm survey, Prof. William English, PhD. designed by Deborah Azrael of Harvard T. Chan School of public policy, and Mathew Miller, Northeastern university.......1.67 million defensive uses annually.

CDC...1996-1998... 1.1 million averaged over those years.( no cops, no military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, no military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, no military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops,no military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, no military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, no military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

2021 national firearms survey..

The survey was designed by Deborah Azrael of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and Matthew Miller of Northeastern University,
----
The survey further finds that approximately a third of gun owners (31.1%) have used a firearm to defend themselves or their property, often on more than one occasion, and it estimates that guns are used defensively by firearms owners in approximately 1.67 million incidents per year. Handguns are the most common firearm employed for self-defense (used in 65.9% of defensive incidents), and in most defensive incidents (81.9%) no shot was fired. Approximately a quarter (25.2%) of defensive incidents occurred within the gun owner's home, and approximately half (53.9%) occurred outside their home, but on their property. About one out of ten (9.1%) defensive gun uses occurred in public, and about one out of twenty (4.8%) occurred at work.
2021 National Firearms Survey
Yeah, nobody believes there are 3,000 shoot outs a day when you report one every other week. You don't even believe it.

I've never seen an actual platypus.....therefore, according to your logic, they do not exist. There are some people who have never seen snow....does that mean that snow does not exist?

1.2M defensive gun uses a year.
Multiplied by 50 years.
So that is what, 60M gun uses? And you don't know anyone who has ever done this....or anyone who knows anyone who has ever done this?

Yeah, nobody believes there are 3,000 shoot outs a day when you report one every other week. You don't even believe it.
No one believes that, because, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, these are NOT shootouts, they are incidents where a potential victim demonstrated that they were armed, and the potential assailant ran away. To continue talking about shootouts after you've been so thoroughly educated on the subject is either insanity, stupidity, blind stubbornness or some combination of those.

Suicide =guns. Once the trigger is pulled, there no going back.

Penelope.....sad, sad penelope....

Canada........and suicide...how is it with your gun control laws, that your young people kill themselves at higher rates than American young people do?

Please explain...

STATCanadaUnited States
Ages 15-2415 per 100,000 people
Ranked 4th. 9% more than United States
13.7 per 100,000 people
Ranked 7th.
Ages 25-3418 per 100,000 people
Ranked 8th. 18% more than United States
15.3 per 100,000 people
Ranked 10th.
Ages 35-4419.2 per 100,000 people
Ranked 8th. 25% more than United States
15.3 per 100,000 people
Ranked 12th.
Ages 45-5418.5 per 100,000 people
Ranked 10th. 29% more than United States
14.3 per 100,000 people
Ranked 13th.
Ages 55-6415.1 per 100,000 people
Ranked 11th. 14% more than United States
13.3 per 100,000 people
Ranked 13th.
Ages 65-7412.1 per 100,000 people
Ranked 14th.
15.3 per 100,000 people
Ranked 11th. 26% more than Canada
Ages above 7512.2 per 100,000 people
Ranked 15th.
22 per 100,000 people
Ranked 10th. 80% more than Canada
SOURCES: GECD Society at a Glance 2001, Statistical Annex Table D3

No one believes that, because, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, these are NOT shootouts, they are incidents where a potential victim demonstrated that they were armed, and the potential assailant ran away. To continue talking about shootouts after you've been so thoroughly educated on the subject is either insanity, stupidity, blind stubbornness or some combination of those.

Yes, the fence outside of my condo stopped 3 billion incidents last year...or was it 4 billion? They saw the fence and decided they weren't going to risk it. LOL

PS: How come nobody ever reports these supposed incidents? Oh yeah...they don't want to--according to you. All 3200 a day decide Well...there is this rapist running around my neighborhood but I won't say anything.

1.2M defensive gun uses a year.
Multiplied by 50 years.
So that is what, 60M gun uses? And you don't know anyone who has ever done this....or anyone who knows anyone who has ever done this?
There are literally millions of people in the city of New York itself who don't know more than a dozen or so other people. There have been hundreds of thousands of gang shootings in my lifetime. I have never seen one, nor do I know anyone who has been in one, but I don't doubt that they happen.

Shoot outs.....? Who said shoot outs you dumb fuck.....

Most of the time criminals are smart enough to run away from their victim when the victim points a gun or even shows they have a gun.....

This very post shows how that happens...you idiot...

There are literally millions of people in the city of New York itself who don't know more than a dozen or so other people. There have been hundreds of thousands of gang shootings in my lifetime. I have never seen one, nor do I know anyone who has been in one, but I don't doubt that they happen.
Gee, such anecdotal "evidence" that you pull out of thin air. The difference between your fantasy about 3,000 shootouts a day going un-reported and gang shootings is that gang shootings are reported.

Forum List

Back