Zone1 Another GARBAGE translation is why people believe the LIE that God endorses slavery

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009

Exodus 21:1-2 esv​

21 “Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. 2 When you buy a Hebrew slave,[a] he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.

Exodus 21:1-2 YLT
And these [are] the judgments which thou dost set before them:
2 `When thou buyest a Hebrew servant -- six years he doth serve, and in the seventh he goeth out as a freeman for nought;

Those who spread these views and cause people to harden their hearts against God, will pay a very costly price when they meet Him. UNLESS they realize their sin and repent and ask for forgiveness.

• Banned
Those who spread these views and cause people to harden their hearts against God, will pay a very costly price when they meet Him. UNLESS they realize their sin and repent and ask for forgiveness.
How many BILLIONS of people have believed the lie that God endorses slavery? I used to believe it because it's right there in those heretical Bibles.

I never met a Christian that believed God Endorsed slavery or at least argued it, and I live in the south and raised in the church.

Exodus 21:1-2 esv​

21 “Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. 2 When you buy a Hebrew slave,[a] he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.
And what about the non-Hebrew slaves?

Oops.

Leviticus 25:44-46 (NIV)​

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

• Banned
I never met a Christian that believed God Endorsed slavery or at least argued it, and I live in the south and raised in the church.
Not Christians but atheists spew the lie all the time and it's based on the mainstream, English, Bibles.

And what about the non-Hebrew slaves?

Oops.

Leviticus 25:44-46 (NIV)​

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
That's why I'm saying, it's a mistranslation. Most English Bibles are GARBAGE.

Leviticus 25:44-46

Young's Literal Translation

44 `And thy man-servant and thy handmaid whom thou hast [are] of the nations who [are] round about you; of them ye buy man-servant and handmaid,
45 and also of the sons of the settlers who are sojourning with you, of them ye buy, and of their families who [are] with you, which they have begotten in your land, and they have been to you for a possession;
46 and ye have taken them for inheritance to your sons after you, to occupy [for] a possession; to the age ye lay service upon them, but upon your brethren, the sons of Israel, one with another, thou dost not rule over him with rigour.

Your "literal" translation says the same thing as the NIV. It says that slavery for non-Hebrews is forever.
It says "to the age ye lay service upon them". I don't believe it says "forever".

Again, not really. The first time the word "slave" was used, it was in the 13th Century. Servant and slave were pretty much identical in meaning up until that point.
Ok, fair enough. But why don't MODERN English Bibles use "servant" instead of slave in the verse I provided in my OP?

Your "literal" translation says the same thing as the NIV. It says that slavery for non-Hebrews is forever.
By the way, I believe what I wrote in my OP is accurate. However, the verse you provided is worth examining further. God did say in Exodus that anyone who seizes and man to make him a slave must be PUT TO DEATH.

Exodus 21:16

Young's Literal Translation

16 `And he who stealeth a man, and hath sold him, and he hath been found in his hand, is certainly put to death.

Forum List

Back