Take it easy – The importance of being lazy.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
Social pressures to be productive – not to mention a culture that prizes multitasking – make doing nothing hard to do, for fear of being accused of the dreaded sin of laziness. However, experts say there are rewards for not pushing yourself to the edge all the time. Correspondent Susan Spencer looks at how some of the most productive and innovative people in history allowed themselves to take time out, just to be.

I disagree. Use it or lose it is my motto. I'm an old woman in my 70s and if I sit around even for a day I don't feel well physically or mentally.

Damn, that sounds awful.

It is what it is, maybe awful to some to to me it makes me feel good. And since I don't take any meds other than if blood pressure is up maybe a few times a month, then I'll take a pill. I do take a baby aspirin every day.

Social pressures to be productive – not to mention a culture that prizes multitasking – make doing nothing hard to do, for fear of being accused of the dreaded sin of laziness. However, experts say there are rewards for not pushing yourself to the edge all the time. Correspondent Susan Spencer looks at how some of the most productive and innovative people in history allowed themselves to take time out, just to be.

Thanks for sharing. It took me a while to learn this lesson, but I have over the years and no I can embrace a weekend of doing nothing at all and not feel bad about it.

I didn't watch the whole video, but it seems that for the purpose of grabbing people's attention they're conflating the words laziness with rest.

Better to use words properly....rest? Definitely a good thing and absolutely necessary. Laziness is something else, but i'm not one to talk about it, since it's something i'm working on, so.... 😝

I didn't watch the whole video, but it seems that for the purpose of grabbing people's attention they're conflating the words laziness with rest.

Better to use words properly....rest? Definitely a good thing and absolutely necessary. Laziness is something else, but i'm not one to talk about it, since it's something i'm working on, so.... 😝

That is because many people look at a day(s) of rest as being lazy.

People in this country brag about working 60 and 70 hours a week, while I think it is far better to brag about taking a long weekend and just getting away to relax.

One area in this I struggle with laying down my phone and walking away from it for a few hours. I have noticed over the last few years I have become way too addicted to doing something, anything, on it.

I have been working to break those habits and just disconnect from it all

People in this country brag about working 60 and 70 hours a week, while I think it is far better to brag about taking a long weekend and just getting away to relax.

Yeah, workaholics probably look at it that way. But I think most people understand that at least one day of rest a week is necessary.

In Europe the mindset is different. That's one of the things I like about Europe, they're not in as much of a rush all the time and not as obsessed with the rat race, like here in the US.

Last edited:

Resting now and then is not the same as being lazy. Most medicines have side effects so if staying active helps without taking meds then I think that is a good thing. But I need to take a med I will. I'm just fortunate that I can treat with keeping busy as much as possible.

In Europe the mindset is different. That's one of the things I like about Europe, they're not in as much of a rush all the time and not as obsessed with the rat race, like here in the US.

Much of the world is not as obsessed with the rat race, like here in the US....one of the reasons I look forward to moving when we retire.

Resting now and then is not the same as being lazy. Most medicines have side effects so if staying active helps without taking meds then I think that is a good thing. But I need to take a med I will. I'm just fortunate that I can treat with keeping busy as much as possible.

I have had people call me lazy because I can go a whole weekend and do pretty much nothing outside of hitting the gym or going for a nice walk.

I have had people call me lazy because I can go a whole weekend and do pretty much nothing outside of hitting the gym or going for a nice walk.

I walk everyday, and was in the woods everyday cutting trails to trees to cut the vines killing them off. I've done this for 2 6 years. I've probably saved 1000s of trees from samplings to 200 year old oaks. Vines kill the hell out of trees.
I love the woods but lately the ticks are so bad it is becoming more dangerous and that is very sad for me. Hubby helps me at times like using pole saw of the large vines I can't cut with my loppers. I used to use a manchette but that got too cumbersome. Last 5 years or so I use the loppers.

1714412428395.png

I'm well into my 7th decade so it makes plenty of difference to me,
Its use it or lose it, I take a couple days off and it takes me a couple weeks sometimes to get going again.
I lift small weights, walk about a mile everyday on my trials in the woods.

When I get lazy or just don't feel like walking or working out, I always remember a quote that reeves me back up
" Whatever you do, do with all thy might, for there is plenty of rest in the grave where thou goest".

I work my three 12 hour shifts a week and no more. Zero interest in overtime. Budget your life to fit your paycheck. It’s not that hard

Forum List

Back