Anniversary of Laura Secord

Mushroom

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2012
State of Jefferson
Here is a piece of history that many probably are not aware of.

Back in 1813 during the UK-US "War of 1812", on 21 June Canadian Laura Secord learned of an upcoming attack on UK forces by the US at Beaver Dams. This would have given the US control of the Niagara Peninsula, so she took it upon herself. So she by herself set out on a 20 mile walk through the wilderness to warn the British of the coming attack. Thanks to her warning, the UK forces were prepared, and defeated the US in their attack.

She is little known outside of Canada but she is often called the "Canadian Paul Revere" for what she did to warn the military of the attack.

She would live to the age of 93, and had 7 children.

XONNIAsecord_debra1.jpg

Back in 1813 during the UK-US "War of 1812", on 21 June Canadian Laura Secord learned of an upcoming attack on UK forces by the US at Beaver Dams. This would have given the US control of the Niagara Peninsula, so she took it upon herself. So she by herself set out on a 20 mile walk through the wilderness to warn the British of the coming attack. Thanks to her warning, the UK forces were prepared, and defeated the US in their attack.

She is little known outside of Canada but she is often called the "Canadian Paul Revere" for what she did to warn the military of the attack.

XONNIAsecord_debra1.jpg
And we kicked their asses back home....no kidding...............And saved them from speaking German........TWICE!!!!!

XONNIAsecord_debra1.jpg

This is how sad either our history instruction is, or, my pedestrian interest in it as a kid. I always believed that Second was responsible for the underground railroad.

Regardless, she did her duty to the Queen.

Also, we don't refer to the War of 1812 as "UK vs US", though it is probably more logical as Canada was then I believe "British North America" and we were never known as Canada until 1867. Most Canadians are quite proud that we beat the U.S in a war.

I'm not so smug, concerned more with 2022 than 1812.

Today's Americans should appreciate her efforts to prevent the U.S. from being stuck with a frozen part of the North American hemisphere.

Today's Americans should appreciate her efforts to prevent the U.S. from being stuck with a frozen part of the North American hemisphere.

If we owned both sides of Niagra Falls, we could build a hell of a water park though.

Regardless, she did her duty to the Queen.

Also, we don't refer to the War of 1812 as "UK vs US"

Actually "King", as George III was still monarch then.

And I specified "UK vs US", as most in Europe hear that and think of the Napoleonic "War of 1812". The one with it's own "theme song", that is only played properly with tuned cannons.

Those in the US only think of the UK-US conflict. But Europe tends to concentrate more on the Napoleonic aspect of things. And as much of this is an "international forum", I felt it only proper to signify which of the conflicts in 1812 I was talking about.

Forum List

Back