Ancient Statues Unearthed In Italy Will 'Rewrite History'

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
This is being called one of the most remarkable discoveries in the history of the ancient Mediterranean.

More than 2 dozen bronze statues dating back 2000 years near Siena Italy, along with around 5000 gold, silver and bronze coins have been found perfectly preserved in San Casciano.

The statues iclude depictions of ancient Greek gods and goddesses and we're so well preserved by the ancient Tuscan thermal spring that inscriptions can still be read.

So-called experts are saying that they will rewrite history about the start of the Roman Empire.

There's likely a more thorough source for the discovery out there, but I just happened to see it on the weather channel, so that's where I'm gonna link.

This is being called one of the most remarkable discoveries in the history of the ancient Mediterranean.

More than 2 dozen bronze statues dating back 2000 years near Siena Italy, along with around 5000 gold, silver and bronze coins have been found perfectly preserved in San Casciano.

The statues iclude depictions of ancient Greek gods and goddesses and we're so well preserved by the ancient Tuscan thermal spring that inscriptions can still be read.

So-called experts are saying that they will rewrite history about the start of the Roman Empire.

There's likely a more thorough source for the discovery out there, but I just happened to see it on the weather channel, so that's where I'm gonna link.

rome is older than 2000 years ago

He wrote the "Roman Empire," not the Roman Republic.

:rolleyes:

The Roman Empire, didn't really begin, until Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC. Close enough.

Right.

So, then, what they're talking about in terms of 'rewriting of history' is the 1st and 2nd century B.C. transition from the Etruscan civilization to the Roman Empire.

The statues apparently have both Etruscan and Latin inscriptions, indicating that Etruscan and Roman social society perhaps prayed to these deities together for peace or whatever. This at a time during the Roman Empire expansion across the region.

Last edited:
Right.

So, then, what they're talking about in terms of 'rewriting of history' is the 1st and 2nd century B.C. transition from the Etruscan civilization to the Roman Empire.

The statues apparently have both Etruscan and Latin inscriptions, indicating that Etruscan and Roman social society perhaps prayed to these deities together for peace or whatever. This at a time during the Roman Empire expansion across the region.
Rome just absorbed the Etruscans. Romans lived with the Etruscans, replaced them and then obliterated them. Sort of like what Hispanics are doing here.

Sometimes they can provide a date by the style or even an epitaph that might be engraved. Sometimes it is made out of a material or paint that came from a specific place or was available before or after a certain time which could indicate cultural contact at an earlier time.

Sometimes they can provide a date by the style or even an epitaph that might be engraved. Sometimes it is made out of a material or paint that came from a specific place or was available before or after a certain time which could indicate cultural contact at an earlier time.

A lot of the surviving stuff from that time was made of terracotta. Which is supposed to be clay/ceramic based. That these are bronze is of interest.

He wrote the "Roman Empire," not the Roman Republic.

:rolleyes:

The Roman Empire, didn't really begin, until Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC. Close enough.
oh---ok----I checked the citation but it told me
nothing. What SIGNIFICANCE or CHANGE IN PERSPECTIVE did the finding provide?

I doubt small statues of that size are going to hold enough information to curtail or change history as it has been written so far.
oh---ok----I checked the citation but it told me
nothing. What SIGNIFICANCE or CHANGE IN PERSPECTIVE did the finding provide?
I think the perspective we should remember, is that we are mostly laymen, commenting on the NEWS of a discovery, and not actual details of the discovery itself.

It would seem, from a cultural Anthropological POV, it will add significantly, to our knowledge of the relations between the ruling families of the Roman Republic and the Etruscan Empire, and perhaps, more information on how the Roman Republic absorbed the ruling oligarch's of the Etruscan leadership? Was it a violent takeover? Or did they have similar cultural and spiritual beliefs while the ruling families intermarried?

:dunno:

This is not only the work of Archeologists, but cultural Anthropologists. And at this point, it is speculation, not positive fact, that it COULD rewrite the understanding of ancient Italy.

I'm sure more will be known in the weeks and months to come.

Bronze statues unearthed in Italy could 'rewrite history'​

". . . In this era of great conflicts between Rome and the Etruscan cities, as well as changes within the social fabric of Rome, noble Etruscan and Roman families together dedicated the statues to sacred water in the sanctuary of the Bagno Grande.

From the inscriptions on the statues, it appears dedicators came from all over the territory of Chiusi and Perugia.

Excavation co-ordinator Professor Jacopo Tabolli said, "What emerged from the mud in San Casciano dei Bagni is a unique opportunity to rewrite the history of ancient art and with it the history of the passage between Etruscans and Romans in Tuscany."

Sometimes they do have it wrong. However, you can only go with what you know at any given time, right?

How often do we see the phrase "rewrite history"? Does it mean that historians had it wrong?
Not necessarily. As Natural Citizen said, it would probably be filling in gaps more than directly contradicting what historians have said before.

Forum List

Back