An EV I Could Get Used To...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
With a number of classic cars that get several gallons to the mile, I'm not a big fan of EV's.

But this one just came through my e-mail and, I gotta' say, it's looks pretty bitchin':

Wiesmann

2022%20Wiesmann%20Project%20Thunderball_01a.jpg

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but, thus far, the specs look pretty good on it.

I'd have to figure out what to do with an acceleration of 0-62mph at 2.9 seconds...

Project Thunderbolt is the most powerful Wiesmann to have ever left the factory - by a mile. And that's saying something. Each of its two electric motors placed mid-rear for perfect balance churns out the unbelievable 340kW per motor giving it total maximum power of 680kW - that’s 912 ponies going wild with the rear wheels. The torque? A not too shabby 1100Nm. Enough to stop the Earth from spinning for a split second or rip the tarmac off the road if you’re not careful. And it comes with a limited slip differential - yikes! No bend will be the same ever again.

Wiesmann is now an EV - with no less than 912hp

The Thunderbolt runs on 800V arcitecture and it can charge its 92kWh battery at up to 300kW DC so the lucky owners will never be stuck for too long at the charging station. Claimed range of 500km (WLTP) is decent if unspectacular, but the 0-100km/h time of 2.9 seconds is truly impressive.

It’s good that Wiesmann thought about bringing all this fun to a safe stop and it equips the Thunderbolt with 380mm brakes front and back, hugged by 6 piston calipers at the front and 4 piston items at the rear. This much power and torque goes through the 21” tyres of 305mm width at the back and 265mm at the front - it makes sense to purchase some shares of your favorite tyre company because you’ll buy a lot of tyres for this car.

Wiesmann is now an EV - with no less than 912hp

This carbon fiber, steel and aluminum beast weighs 1775kg giving it power to weight ratio of 513.8 hp per tonne - that’s 20hp more than Bugatti Veyron! And it comes with 305 liters of luggage space - that’s 8 times more than Veyron! Clearly - Wiesmann is a much better car, then. And it isn’t your average prototype or design exercise - you can order one now, have it tailor made to your requirements and happily tear the tarmac in style.

For comparison:

The car goes from zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.8 seconds, and zero to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. The German company proudly claims that the power delivery of its drivetrain "continues steadily into high load ranges", so that the increase in speed is also almost constant up to the electronically limited maximum of 250 km/h (155 mph).

BMW unleashes the iX M60 with 619 hp and 1100 Nm of torque

The range determined according to the WLTP test cycle is up to 566 km (351 miles), while the preliminary EPA estimate is 280 miles (450 km). The battery is the same as in the xDrive 50, with 111.5 kWh gross capacity, although the usable amount is slightly larger at 106.3 kWh.

AC charging at 11 kW (which is the maximum supported) should take 10.25 hours, while on 250 kW DC chargers going from 10% to 80% should take 35 minutes (that becomes 49 minutes on a 100 kW charger and 97 minutes on a 50 kW one). Note that the iX M60 can't use more than 195 kW when DC charging.

The iX M60 has a unique "M-enhanced" adaptive dual-axle air suspension with automatic level control. The car's drag coefficient is 0.26. As you'd expect, there's a lot of M branding present - including on the blue painted break calipers, and if you want to "clearly announce the high-performance character" of the EV to everyone around you, then you can purchase the optional BMW Individual Titanium Bronze Exterior and M logos in a new High Gloss Black / Titanium Bronze finish.

With a number of classic cars that get several gallons to the mile, I'm not a big fan of EV's.

But this one just came through my e-mail and, I gotta' say, it's looks pretty bitchin':

Wiesmann

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but, thus far, the specs look pretty good on it.

I'd have to figure out what to do with an acceleration of 0-62mph at 2.9 seconds...
Burnouts. Lots and lots of burnouts.

Electric vehicles can be really cool, and have some noticeable benefits. I'm not an EV hater by any means. It's the power generation issue that gets me hung up. The greenies think we can just switch of all "fossil fuel" power generation, and transition to full electric. And that simply isn't true...

The next two or three years will be quite interesting. The car manufacturers that are still developing their cars have the advantage of seeing what's available right now, and the performance POSSIBILITIES are mind-bending. It's just a matter of packaging the motors and batteries, people and stuff, and producing something at a price that the target market can tolerate.

The cost savings of an EV are considerable, but not determinative. Tesla's get 100mpge, so you would save maybe a couple of thousand dollars a year in fuel costs, but that doesn't justify spending $70k vs $45k.

I read several months ago that for everyday car companies, the targets are 250 miles of range, recharge in 40 minutes, for $35k. When they can do that, they will sell a gazillion of them.

Wiesmann

Electric vehicles can be really cool, and have some noticeable benefits. I'm not an EV hater by any means. It's the power generation issue that gets me hung up. The greenies think we can just switch of all "fossil fuel" power generation, and transition to full electric. And that simply isn't true...
/———/ Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns

Forum List

Back