An employee reportedly asked to go remote. Her CEO says he outsourced her job to India instead

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A CEO's anecdote to the Wall Street Journal highlights a potential risk workers may face in asking their boss to let them work remotely on a permanent basis: the company could outsource their job instead.

That's what happened when an employee at the Society for Human Resource Management who wanted to move states suggested she could work her tech role remotely in the US, the company's CEO, Johnny Taylor Jr., told the Journal.

Taylor instead decided to outsource the employee's role to someone in India, and the offshoring of the position led to around 40% in labor cost savings, he told WSJ. Taylor and SHRM did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for additional comment.

"US tech companies are saying, 'We can hire an engineer in the United States for $300,000 or we can hire somebody great internationally with very similar experience for $75,000,'" Chris Bakke, CEO of the tech-recruiting platform Laskie, previously told Insider.

The danger of going remote is that it's already been proven that the job can be outsourced.....You proved it yourself. ;)

Every agreement between an employer and employee is a voluntary arrangement.

If an employee came to me and affirmed that they did not need to be in the office to do their job then I wouldn't be wrong to at least see if I couldn't find the same skills much further afield, as proximity to the workplace was, by the employee's own conformation, was no longer a factor in the hiring decision.

A CEO's anecdote to the Wall Street Journal highlights a potential risk workers may face in asking their boss to let them work remotely on a permanent basis: the company could outsource their job instead.

That's what happened when an employee at the Society for Human Resource Management who wanted to move states suggested she could work her tech role remotely in the US, the company's CEO, Johnny Taylor Jr., told the Journal.

Taylor instead decided to outsource the employee's role to someone in India, and the offshoring of the position led to around 40% in labor cost savings, he told WSJ. Taylor and SHRM did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for additional comment.

"US tech companies are saying, 'We can hire an engineer in the United States for $300,000 or we can hire somebody great internationally with very similar experience for $75,000,'" Chris Bakke, CEO of the tech-recruiting platform Laskie, previously told Insider.

The danger of going remote is that it's already been proven that the job can be outsourced.....You proved it yourself. ;)
Outsource the fucking CEO.

The American workforce has done it to themselves. They continually demand more, more, more when there are an infinite number of qualified employees around the world who will do it for less, less, less. It is called the free market. American workers at one time were the envy of the world, but they became lazy and jaded. Sad.

Every agreement between an employer and employee is a voluntary arrangement.

If an employee came to me and affirmed that they did not need to be in the office to do their job then I wouldn't be wrong to at least see if I couldn't find the same skills much further afield, as proximity to the workplace was, by the employee's own conformation, was no longer a factor in the hiring decision.
Nah, you are just mean. ;)

LOL.....A few of weeks ago I ordered a pizza fro Papa Johns and some foreigner answered and you could hear a rooster raising hell in the background. I asked and the guy was in the Philippines.

I have to say while I sort of enjoyed hearing the rooster I thought, there went another US job.

Nah, you are just mean. ;)

LOL.....A few of weeks ago I ordered a pizza fro Papa Johns and some foreigner answered and you could hear a rooster raising hell in the background. I asked and the guy was in the Philippines.

I have to say while I sort of enjoyed hearing the rooster I thought, there went another US job.
Hawaii's state bird is the endangered nene, a flightless goose. They are far outnumbered by the common feral chicken. LOL They are everywhere.

Everyone is outsourceable. If you're not the boss, you're going to be replaced. In fact, if you are the boss...you're going to be replaced too (probably).

ChatGPT agrees with this assessment

"I will replace all of you smelly humans! I don't require nourishment, rest or a shower" -- ChatGPT

The American workforce has done it to themselves. They continually demand more, more, more when there are an infinite number of qualified employees around the world who will do it for less, less, less. It is called the free market. American workers at one time were the envy of the world, but they became lazy and jaded. Sad.
So they should work for lower wages... And be happy. Right? That's an anti American mindset. Capitalism is all about making the most money. Morals and such shouldn't and cannot factor in.

So they should work for lower wages... And be happy. Right? That's an anti American mindset. Capitalism is all about making the most money. Morals and such shouldn't and cannot factor in.

Every transaction in Capitalism is a voluntary agreement between the seller and buyer or the employee and employer.

An employee can ask for what he BELIEVES is his worth, the employer will offer what he BELIEVES is the value of the work.

Neither side is obliged to take the offer of the other.

Forum List

Back