America's sick with homophobia

I don't know who you are calling 'we'.

I hug my Dad- and he hugs me. Our whole family hugs- in my culture- which is America- we do hug.
In your family, not in America.

Do you know what got me thinking about this? I was watching "Russkies" with my two boys, a movie made long before their time. 3 boys rescued a Soviet sailor stranded on American shores. Anyway, in the course of events there was a cause for great celebration and the Russian grabbed all three boys in a great big hug, something common where he came from. The boys pushed him away and asked if he was homosexual. I paused the movie because this was a real teaching moment for my boys. It isn't just a movie, this thinking is prevalent.

The gay community should be on board with changing this culture because it has been part of the stigma created that kept gays in the closet, a hidden subculture in society.

If men can't hug without thinking hugs are gay, that's a serious sickness IMO.
There is nothing wrong with hugs...or gay sex.

Heal thyself

The two have nothing to do with each other. That's the point of this whole thread, confused conservatives who are so opposed to homosexuality that they view any male to male affection as gay. Or did you not understand that this thread was a criticism of those conservatives, not gay people?
I don't care if someone is conservative or liberal, if they disapprove of gay sex, and gay marriage, I support their right to have that opinion, and state it using any media.

Those who want to impose that archaic morality on gays, I will continue to hate them, and not just their sins.

I don't hate them, but I oppose them with you. I don't like family values conservatives who violate the Constitution with the agenda they push, DOMA being a prime example. There's no conflict. It's stupid to assume that just because I believe homosexuality is a sin, I automatically want government to control it. Stupid.
Then I stand corrected, and I apologize for thinking you would support gay marriage bans

In your family, not in America.

Do you know what got me thinking about this? I was watching "Russkies" with my two boys, a movie made long before their time. 3 boys rescued a Soviet sailor stranded on American shores. Anyway, in the course of events there was a cause for great celebration and the Russian grabbed all three boys in a great big hug, something common where he came from. The boys pushed him away and asked if he was homosexual. I paused the movie because this was a real teaching moment for my boys. It isn't just a movie, this thinking is prevalent.

The gay community should be on board with changing this culture because it has been part of the stigma created that kept gays in the closet, a hidden subculture in society.

If men can't hug without thinking hugs are gay, that's a serious sickness IMO.

Heal thyself

The two have nothing to do with each other. That's the point of this whole thread, confused conservatives who are so opposed to homosexuality that they view any male to male affection as gay. Or did you not understand that this thread was a criticism of those conservatives, not gay people?
I don't care if someone is conservative or liberal, if they disapprove of gay sex, and gay marriage, I support their right to have that opinion, and state it using any media.

Those who want to impose that archaic morality on gays, I will continue to hate them, and not just their sins.

I don't hate them, but I oppose them with you. I don't like family values conservatives who violate the Constitution with the agenda they push, DOMA being a prime example. There's no conflict. It's stupid to assume that just because I believe homosexuality is a sin, I automatically want government to control it. Stupid.
Then I stand corrected, and I apologize for thinking you would support gay marriage bans

I see what you did there...
icon-wink-g.gif

I support the right for states to make that decision themselves as nothing in the Constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate marriage, that means DOMA, the 1862 Morrill Anti Bigomy Act, gay marriage, anything. However I don't think the states have the right to not recognize marriages performed in other states, just like they don't have the right to not recognize drivers licenses issued in other states. If somebody wants to marry in New York and then move here to Idaho, they have that right and Idaho must recognize their marriage. That's where I stand.

I'm affectionate with everyone, my wife, my sons and daughter, my parents, my in laws including my mother in law...though if I keep my distance from her it's because I don't want to be near when a house drops on her. Affection is not sex. It isn't "gay" and I'm not terrified of male intimacy. My father kisses me on the cheek and I do the same and I embrace him or my brothers for a time period that would make homophobes uncomfortable. That's what I'm talking about. We need more of this, not less.

For some people maybe, but not everyone needs more of this. Difference of opinion doesn't mean phobic.

I'm affectionate with everyone, my wife, my sons and daughter, my parents, my in laws including my mother in law...though if I keep my distance from her it's because I don't want to be near when a house drops on her. Affection is not sex. It isn't "gay" and I'm not terrified of male intimacy. My father kisses me on the cheek and I do the same and I embrace him or my brothers for a time period that would make homophobes uncomfortable. That's what I'm talking about. We need more of this, not less.

For some people maybe, but not everyone needs more of this. Difference of opinion doesn't mean phobic.

Phobia characterized as a "difference of opinion" doesn't change it from being phobia. Fear of intimate contact with other males is a phobia, or do you not understand that phobia means fear?

Heal thyself

icon-wink-g.gif

I support the right for states to make that decision themselves as nothing in the Constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate marriage, that means DOMA, the 1862 Morrill Anti Bigomy Act, gay marriage, anything. However I don't think the states have the right to not recognize marriages performed in other states, just like they don't have the right to not recognize drivers licenses issued in other states. If somebody wants to marry in New York and then move here to Idaho, they have that right and Idaho must recognize their marriage. That's where I stand.
I've never really understood why the federal government controlling "it" is 100% evil, and the state government controlling "it" is 100% okee dokee.

I think it depends on this issue, and where you stand on it.

If there was a constitutional amendment that probited gay marriage bans...would you still support the rights of a state to prohibit gay marraige?

icon-wink-g.gif

I've never really understood why the federal government controlling "it" is 100% evil, and the state government controlling "it" is 100% okee dokee.

If there was a constitutional amendment that probited gay marriage bans...would you still support the rights of a state to prohibit gay marraige?

Did the title of this thread confuse you? It isn't about fake Leftist homophobia it's about real homophobia. This is not another gay marriage thread.

icon-wink-g.gif

Did the title of this thread confuse you? It isn't about fake Leftist homophobia it's about real homophobia. This is not another gay marriage thread.
You brought up DOMA...is gay marriage a big stretch from there?

At any rate...I'll try and stay on the homophobia topic, without going to gay marriage...but it's hard

icon-wink-g.gif

At any rate...I'll try and stay on the homophobia topic, without going to gay marriage...but it's hard
Actually people's reticence to discuss the real topic here illustrates the point of this thread. There is no real fear of the homosexual living down the street, but there's a deep seated visceral fear of homosexuality when it comes to affection between men, so strong that we would rather talk about anything else. For those who confuse love and sex, this is a very uncomfortable topic.

icon-wink-g.gif

Actually people's reticence to discuss the real topic here illustrates the point of this thread. There is no real fear of the homosexual living down the street, but there's a deep seated visceral fear of homosexuality when it comes to affection between men, so strong that we would rather talk about anything else. For those who confuse love and sex, this is a very uncomfortable topic.
Thank you, that's a perfect definitions of Homophobia.

Homophobia, "noun", a deep seated visceral fear of homosexuality when it comes to affection, or sex, between men

Forum List

Back