Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs

Americans strongly agree with both major presidential candidates about the importance of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the United States and are willing to pay more for consumer goods to make it happen. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs - Rasmussen Reports™

But only Trump has a plan to bring those jobs back.
Americans are not willing to pay more unless they are retarded, because we are paying too much already.
The poll says most Americans are willing to pay more.

Americans strongly agree with both major presidential candidates about the importance of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the United States and are willing to pay more for consumer goods to make it happen. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs - Rasmussen Reports™

the thing is, we aren't a manufacturing economy anymore. so i'm not quite certain why the focus on manufacturing jobs. we need good service economy jobs. ... like building/repairing infrastructure.

Still trying To say that lie Jillian?

Btw manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry.

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic2.gif

Wrong graph

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic1.gif

Ah.....
  • Do you think your graph might be actually meaningful were it to have a title so we know what it depicts for 2005 and 2014?
Also, seeing as your remark pertaining to the graph is, "manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry," a graph that shows a comparison between manufacturing and service jobs over time would be more germane and supportive of your assertion than would a graph that shows "some single thing" for two different years. "Manufacturing Jobs" vs. "Service Jobs" rather than "2005" vs. "2014" is what you need to present. If you present the job-type comparison within a temporal context, fine, but the point of comparison for the chart needs to be jobs not years.

Sidebar:
And folks on here chide me as though I'm the idiot when I remark about people not knowing what they are doing or talking about....And then we get stuff like this BS above....The "purple" chart is even stated as being the replacement for the earlier incorrect "green" one. It''s likely neither of them is the right chart, although either of them could be if presented in conjunction with another chart as one might do if one chart reflects service jobs and the other manufacturing jobs.​

Last edited:

Americans are not willing to pay more unless they are retarded, because we are paying too much already.

American Apparel disproves this theory.
What is that? and how much percentage of clothing is imported?

It's a company I started following a few years ago to see where it would end up, started out well, strictly American made clothing but it's failing, can't compete with foreign labor costs and now is up for sale, whoever buys it will outsource the manufacturing, it's inevitable
Unless we renegotiate our trade agreements. Our trade with China is governed by WTO rules, but since Clinton allowed China to join the WTO without first adhering to all its rules, most importantly to allow its currency to float, China devalues its currency routinely every time other countries become efficient enough to produce products at prices competitive with their products. Despite their somewhat lower labor costs, much US manufacturing would be competitive with Chinese products if they were force to allow their currency to float. Hillary has no comments on this situation, but Trump promises to renegotiate these rules in order to prevent more US jobs from going to China or to drop out of the WTO if necessary.

the thing is, we aren't a manufacturing economy anymore. so i'm not quite certain why the focus on manufacturing jobs. we need good service economy jobs. ... like building/repairing infrastructure.

Still trying To say that lie Jillian?

Btw manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry.

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic2.gif

Wrong graph

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic1.gif

Ah.....
  • Do you think your graph might be actually meaningful were it to have a title so we know what it depicts for 2005 and 2014?
Also, seeing as your remark pertaining to the graph is, "manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry," a graph that shows a comparison between manufacturing and service jobs over time would be more germane and supportive of your assertion than would a graph that shows "some single thing" for two different years. "Manufacturing Jobs" vs. "Service Jobs" rather than "2005" vs. "2014" is what you need to present. If you present the job-type comparison within a temporal context, fine, but the point of comparison for the chart needs to be jobs not years.

Sidebar:
And folks on here chide me as though I'm the idiot when I remark about people not knowing what they are doing or talking about....And then we get stuff like this BS above....The "purple" chart is even stated as being the replacement for the earlier incorrect "green" one. It''s likely neither of them is the right chart, although either of them could be if presented in conjunction with another chart as one might do if one chart reflects service jobs and the other manufacturing jobs.​

Google is your friend research it yourself if you don't know.

Again they already voted with their pocket and sent the jobs offshore to buy cheap shit from China @ walmart and all the rest.

It's a company I started following a few years ago to see where it would end up, started out well, strictly American made clothing but it's failing, can't compete with foreign labor costs and now is up for sale, whoever buys it will outsource the manufacturing, it's inevitable

By the way- it can't compete even though we impose duty rates of between 20-30% on clothing made in places like China- where the majority of clothing imports come from.
It could compete if China were forced to allow its currency to float instead of devaluing it to keep its manufactures cheaper than our's.

We should only manufacture BETTER solar panels,BETTER software, BETTER automobiles, BETTER farm equipment,,...but this moronic idea that we are going to bring back manufacturing jobs making clothes, shoes, furniture, etc. is ridiculous and only works for slow witted Americans.....that horse left the barn 40 years ago.

It's good that Americans are willing to pay higher prices. I wonder how the hell they intend to obtain the money to pay those higher prices?
Complex industrial processes such as steel production, papermaking, car manufacturing and mineral processing use multiple layered and networked computer control systems, usually referred to as "distributed control systems," (DCS) which widely perform operational management, monitoring and automation for the whole production lines. If manufacturing jobs that have been offshored were to return to the U.S., just what do you think companies will do? I'll tell you what they'lld do; they'll recognize that they have to build a wholly new manufacturing facility in the U.S. and in the process of doing so, they'll implement DCS instead of hiring people. And what they implement will be 2020-era technology, not the late 20th century to early 21st century tech they are using in their overseas factories.

If any jobs are created by that process, they'll be tech jobs and other highly skilled jobs that will be just as inaccessible to the folks who can't get one of the ~3M available "good" jobs that exist now as are those jobs they can't get now. Accordingly, what is the point of bringing back manufacturing when all it'll do is raise prices for everyone and increase the quantity of jobs that have gone unfilled.

I guess there's one good thing about doing it, however. Highly skilled folks who already have "good" jobs will see their salaries go up, for the need to implement new automation technology will result in another wave of "change jobs every two years to, at a minimum, double your salary" much like what happened in the 1990s.

Red:
Good, then would you mind showing or explaining a few things? You see, I don't know about you, but when someone tells me I must pay more, the very first question I ask is, "How much more?" Accordingly, what I want to see from Trump or his team is the following:
  • What are Trump's estimates of how much higher will be the consumer prices Americans must pay as a result of bringing back those manufacturing jobs?

• What econometric model did he (or his advisors) use to arrive at that estimate. I presume he (his team) used one of the gravity models of economic modeling. I just want to know which one and what assumptions they applied when doing so. It may be that he (his advisors), rather than performing the estimation/analysis themselves, relied upon an existing study and extrapolated his/their estimates from it using some rational methodology. That's okay too; I just want to know enough so I can examine the study and the methods used for the application of its ideas to Trump's plan.
I love plans. I'm always happy to look at them and consider their merit. As far as I know, Trump's strategy is to impose tariffs (goods tariffs or income taxes).
How much more would you be willing to pay for a TV set if it would save your brother's job?

Again they already voted with their pocket and sent the jobs offshore to buy cheap shit from China @ walmart and all the rest.

And now, according to the poll, they are reconsidering the issue.

We should only manufacture BETTER solar panels,BETTER software, BETTER automobiles, BETTER farm equipment,,...but this moronic idea that we are going to bring back manufacturing jobs making clothes, shoes, furniture, etc. is ridiculous and only works for slow witted Americans.....that horse left the barn 40 years ago.
First, we can prevent more jobs from leaving by renegotiating these free trade deals. This will remove the profit motive for stores like Walmart to buy from China and allow US companies to replace them, thus bringing the jobs back here. You see? It's not ridiculous at all unless you are a slow witted Clinton supporter.

First, we can prevent more jobs from leaving by renegotiating these free trade deals. This will remove the profit motive for stores like Walmart to buy from China and allow US companies to replace them, thus bringing the jobs back here. You see? It's not ridiculous at all unless you are a slow witted Clinton supporter.

What a moronic "plan"..We'll be asking China to charge MORE for a T-shirt so that Walmart will stop buying them from China?
OR........we'll place a tariff on a Chinese T-Shirt so that the consumer pays $30 for the item?

No wonder Trump has so many idiots for backers........

What a moronic "plan"..We'll be asking China to charge MORE for a T-shirt so that Walmart will stop buying them from China?
OR........we'll place a tariff on a Chinese T-Shirt so that the consumer pays $30 for the item?

No wonder Trump has so many idiots for backers........
Are you really as stupid as your posts make you seem? We will demand that China allow its currency to float like every other developed nation does or we will impose tariffs on Chinese goods if they refuse. The factories where the T shirts are made are highly mechanized, so labor costs are not a major factor in the price, but China devalues its currency to keep its exports up.

By the way- it can't compete even though we impose duty rates of between 20-30% on clothing made in places like China- where the majority of clothing imports come from.
It could compete if China were forced to allow its currency to float instead of devaluing it to keep its manufactures cheaper than our's.

China's manufacturing is less than ours because of several things:
a) Labor is cheaper- not as cheap as it once was- it has risen dramatically in the last 10 years- the average manufacturing wage is about $8,000 a year. You really believe floating currency will make $8,000 a year labor equal to $50,000 a year labor in the United States?
b) Less regulation- Chinese manufacturing loves to pollute
upload_2016-9-30_17-3-2.jpeg
If we allowed American industry to operate like Chinese industry that would make American industry more competitive.....

By the way- I have never seen or felt air pollution the way I have in Beijing.

We have no free trade deal with China.

Cotton T-shirts from China- 16.5% duty.

[ Despite their somewhat lower labor costs, much US manufacturing would be competitive with Chinese products if they were force to allow their currency to float. .

'somewhat lower labor costs'?

Average manufacturing wage China about $8,000 a year.
Average manufacturing wage US about $72,000 a year.

That will have to be a hell of a currency float.

a) Labor is cheaper- not as cheap as it once was- it has risen dramatically in the last 10 years- the average manufacturing wage is about $8,000 a year. You really believe floating currency will make $8,000 a year labor equal to $50,000 a year labor in the United States?
View attachment 91683If we allowed American industry to operate like Chinese industry that would make American industry more competitive.....

It all depends on how labor intensive the particular industry is and what level of labor is involved. Add to that the fact that Chinese goods would have additional shipping costs involved and the costs may not be that different.

View attachment 91683If we allowed American industry to operate like Chinese industry that would make American industry more competitive.....

It all depends on how labor intensive the particular industry is and what level of labor is involved. Add to that the fact that Chinese goods would have additional shipping costs involved and the costs may not be that different.

Well lets think that through- shall we- if the industry is not very labor intensive.......then not many jobs will come then- will they?
That is the actual major reason for the drop in jobs in Manufacturing- automation. Even when manufacturing does come back to the United States- most of the jobs do not. But the jobs that do exist- are about 7 times more expensive here than in China.

And shipping is cheap from China to the United States. Very cheap.

We have no free trade deal with China.

Cotton T-shirts from China- 16.5% duty.

Forum List

Back