America needs carpenters and plumbers. Gen Z doesn't seem interested

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/05/1142...enters-and-plumbers-try-telling-that-to-gen-z

"It used to be word-of-mouth," said Iversen. "But there's more of a need for carpenters, pipefitters, plumbers and electricians than you can fill with the family members of current people."

That reality is hitting home for farmer John Boyd Jr.

Boyd, 57, owns a 300-acre farm in Virginia where he grows soybeans, corn and wheat and raises cattle — just as three generations did before him. But now, none of his three children want to take over when he retires.

"Everybody on my farm is over the age of 50," said Boyd, who is the president of the National Black Farmers' Association. "We need some young people with some energy and hustle and innovation."

Odd, NPR spent decades and millions of tax dollars being pretentious leftist fucks while mocking working Americans and the trades in general.....One of those assholes must have needed a tradesman. ;)

Odd, NPR spent decades and millions of tax dollars being pretentious leftist fucks while mocking working Americans and the trades in general.....One of those assholes must have needed a tradesman.

:link:

We were having shortages in the later 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, etc...I worked in construction for over forty years, and never once did they have enough unless it was a recession and no one had work to do.

It would help if they didn't demand so much investment in ones designation ( at least in Canada), nor people basically being at the mercy of a union leader for hours. Pay is good, unreliable hours for many or difficult small business pursuit is not.

It would help if they didn't demand so much investment in ones designation ( at least in Canada), nor people basically being at the mercy of a union leader for hours. Pay is good, unreliable hours for many or difficult small business pursuit is not.
I was a self-employed masonry contractor for 35 years.... the best money I ever made.

I was a self-employed masonry contractor for 35 years.... the best money I ever made.
Were you competing with illegal citizens for business? In Canada I suppose the market is far different, you guys have a market that consumes, more freedom and 10x our population.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/05/1142...enters-and-plumbers-try-telling-that-to-gen-z

"It used to be word-of-mouth," said Iversen. "But there's more of a need for carpenters, pipefitters, plumbers and electricians than you can fill with the family members of current people."

Boyd, 57, owns a 300-acre farm in Virginia where he grows soybeans, corn and wheat and raises cattle — just as three generations did before him. But now, none of his three children want to take over when he retires.

"Everybody on my farm is over the age of 50," said Boyd, who is the president of the National Black Farmers' Association. "We need some young people with some energy and hustle and innovation."

Odd, NPR spent decades and millions of tax dollars being pretentious leftist fucks while mocking working Americans and the trades in general.....One of those assholes must have needed a tradesman. ;)
Yes and welders, framers, painters, you name it. This new generation seems to be more intent on hitting it big in social media than getting their hands dirty.

These young people have no idea how much money they can make in the trades.

I dropped out of HS got a GED and started in the home renovation business when I was 18 by the time I was 35 I owned 8 rental properties and had a thriving home construction business. I had 3 crews and I retired at 51.

Yes and welders, framers, painters, you name it. This new generation seems to be more intent on hitting it big in social media than getting their hands dirty.
Preparation Is the Most Important Part of Production

Highly paid training will fill the gaps, and with even better people than we have now. Sacrifice has no merit; it is the only way for no-talents to steal jobs.

Right me if I am wrong, but America is in need of a lot of things that too many people do not care about anymore if they ever did to begin with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Lots of the skilled trades are evaporating.
Trim carpentry, electricians, tool & die making, boilermakers, and of course pipe fitters. (Is plumbing a skill?)

Much of the manufacturing has left the USA. So with that the skilled trades have also left, retired out, or not needed. Hey, I can purchase a top end used knee mill for pennies of what the thing used to cost. Biggest expense will be moving and converting it to run on residential current.

Most people don't even know how to run power for a plant. Much less the data cabling. Especially when Data is usually a larger portion of the contract than the power anymore.

But then again most people don't know or care about basic trigonometry or how to apply it. (Electricians only look dumb...they aint)

Blueprint reading? HA! Not happening. Heck they can't even print them right. So understanding of how the crappy printer program screwed them up requires more than most can figure. Besides....now prints are on tablets and not paper so much.

Lots of the skilled trades are evaporating.
Trim carpentry, electricians, tool & die making, boilermakers, and of course pipe fitters. (Is plumbing a skill?)

Much of the manufacturing has left the USA. So with that the skilled trades have also left, retired out, or not needed. Hey, I can purchase a top end used knee mill for pennies of what the thing used to cost. Biggest expense will be moving and converting it to run on residential current.

Most people don't even know how to run power for a plant. Much less the data cabling. Especially when Data is usually a larger portion of the contract than the power anymore.

But then again most people don't know or care about basic trigonometry or how to apply it. (Electricians only look dumb...they aint)

Blueprint reading? HA! Not happening. Heck they can't even print them right. So understanding of how the crappy printer program screwed them up requires more than most can figure. Besides....now prints are on tablets and not paper so much.
Current is current it doesn't change you do have different phases of voltage.

Still working custom homes for a smaller outfit.
It's getting down to just us middle aged farts and a shitload of Mexicans. We occasionally get a young guy and only a couple had a work ethic.
The large national builders are almost all latino crews around my neck of the woods.

Forum List

Back