America Has Long Favored Cars Over Trains and Buses. Can Biden Change That?

I haven't looked at the infrasructure plan, definitely would expect my thoughts to disagree with those from either party in Washington. As far as our rail system goes, I wouldn't mind at all seeing some federal assistance. However, it would primarily be in terms of the long haul moving of freight rather than passengers. The more we can get trucks off the road and onto rails then the cheaper it will be to maintain our highways. Additionally it would lower costs to ship consumer goods and aid our national defense. If it provides some passenger service with minimal additional costs, only then give it a try.

In the megacities the cost of having a car is very expensive and it isn't from gas consumption which is why people use mass transit.

In the megacities the cost of having a car is very expensive and it isn't from gas consumption which is why people use mass transit.

One of the (few) advantages of city living --- you don't need to maintain a car. And of course "maintain" includes not just gas but repairs, registration and insurance, which is pricey in da city. And then of course there's parking expenses, which we in the sticks don't even think about.

The best I have seen is probably BART in SF and the DC Metro. But they are relatively new.

Considering when it was built and the millions of passengers it carries, the NY Subway system is amazing.

Hoi polloi, a Greek expression meaning "the many" or, in the strictest sense, "the majority", is used in English to refer to the working class, commoners, the masses or common people in a derogatory sense.

It always makes me think back to:

1617496423742.png

People in a vehicle experience a bit of freedom compared to being caged up on trains. Frankly being on a passenger jet is the same but it is much faster on city to city travel then trains. Local commuter rail and subway systems can be busy though. Maglev passed us by some decades ago. Long routes with trains through less populated areas perhaps could have been achieved but would an environmental issue be brought up? Down here they have a commuter train that runs some through a few counties miles. And they only get about 7000 people a day I believe on it. That means we are subsidizing it. And this with a massive Highway reconstruction project going on for several years.

Amtrak is heavily subsidized. But then again, in almost every other country, passenger trains are Government strictly owned.

No. Another waste of taxpayer money.

I haven't used public transportation in decades. What would be the motivation to use it now?

I prefer to come and go on my schedule, and not to be packed in like sardines with the effluvient hoi polloi.

The left are pushing their stupid Agenda 21 bullshit, that no one wants. These faggots want us living in shoeboxes and only using public transportation. They want to turn us into little obedient slaves just like the Chinese.

The best I have seen is probably BART in SF and the DC Metro. But they are relatively new.

Considering when it was built and the millions of passengers it carries, the NY Subway system is amazing.

When I lived in Paris I found that Métro to be decades ahead of US transit. Smooth, quiet and efficient. Probably equivalent to the DC Metro right now, but in the 1970s.

I haven't used public transportation in decades. What would be the motivation to use it now?

I prefer to come and go on my schedule, and not to be packed in like sardines with the effluvient hoi polloi.

Private transportation is also door to door. Taking a train requires that the travelers go from their home to the train station, and at the end of the train ride, get from that train station to their final destination.

Also, trains are Fixed Route transportation. Unlike cars- or other forms of public transport like motor coaches- massive new investments in trackage are needed when new developments are built and new destinations become popular.
Like SUBWAY trains? Good place to get mugged by THUGS.

You have to be prepared in the NYC subways, like the late Charles Bronson was.

Or in real life ,Bernie Goetz. A TRUE American Hero.

You obviously don’t live in a major city

No place to park that car of yours, gridlock, noise and pollution

I used to do a lot of work travel to various cities. When you got in at the airport the best way into the city was almost always the public train/light rail. Then you watch out the window as you zip by the car traffic tied up in knots.

When I lived in Paris I found that Métro to be decades ahead of US transit. Smooth, quiet and efficient. Probably equivalent to the DC Metro right now, but in the 1970s.
I am sure Paris would be glad ta have you back. Bon Voyage!

or accept Xiden is the ultimate failure. How many cities across the country have gone broke trying, simply because they fucked it up beginning to end because it was a pipedream to begin with. Your taxes and expenses just shot way up, especially the middle class who the left desires to eliminate under social order serving the pockets of the fewest possible.

The worst city I have seen for public transportation is Los Angeles.
They once had a viable light rail system but tore it up in favor of busses. Since then, they have sold out to private vehicles

The result is constant gridlock, congestion, pollution and no viable way of moving large numbers of people

I am sure Paris would be glad ta have you back. Bon Voyage!

Hey, you're the one with the French name...

Paris is pretty cool though. Especially its transit system.
Oh and the coffee. OH yeah.

What's not to like about mass transit

Out of the millions who ride the NYC transit system.

NY maintains its own Transit Police Force because of the massive number of passengers who use the system

Remember how supposedly Trump's border wall couldn't work due to Eminent domain yadda yadda? Sure you do.

Compare that to mass transportation. Where the difference and cost is enormous no comparison. Cities often go broke on mass transportation with nothing to show for it, but we're supposed to believe it's a good idea.

You obviously don’t live in a major city

No place to park that car of yours, gridlock, noise and pollution

I lived in DC back when it was still civilized.

Forum List

Back