America Has Long Favored Cars Over Trains and Buses. Can Biden Change That?

No. It cannot be changed. In large, compact metropolitan areas public transportation can be made useful IF it can be made efficient, inexpensive, and timely. We know that’s not possible in most cases (See Boston and the MBTA). Therefore it will never be taken large scale option.

No. Another waste of taxpayer money.

I haven't used public transportation in decades. What would be the motivation to use it now?

I prefer to come and go on my schedule, and not to be packed in like sardines with the effluvient hoi polloi.

If I am living in a major city then I might take public transportation over a car just because of traffic and parking. I didn't like it living outside of a city and going in because I hate waiting.

Who doesn't love riding the bus?

Bus riders.jpg

I haven't used public transportation in decades. What would be the motivation to use it now?

I prefer to come and go on my schedule, and not to be packed in like sardines with the effluvient hoi polloi.

Private transportation is also door to door. Taking a train requires that the travelers go from their home to the train station, and at the end of the train ride, get from that train station to their final destination.

Also, trains are Fixed Route transportation. Unlike cars- or other forms of public transport like motor coaches- massive new investments in trackage are needed when new developments are built and new destinations become popular.

Boom Boom Boom! Another one rides the BUS! Boom Boom Boom ! Another one rides the Bus! And another gets on and another gets on ,another one rides the BUS! (Same as "another one bites the dust")

Private transportation is also door to door. Taking a train requires that the travelers go from their home to the train station, and at the end of the train ride, get from that train station to their final destination.

Also, trains are Fixed Route transportation. Unlike cars- or other forms of public transport like motor coaches- massive new investments in trackage are needed when new developments are built and new destinations become popular.
Like SUBWAY trains? Good place to get mugged by THUGS.

Trains make sense where stations are located conveniently to your destination, have reliable and frequent departures, AND where riders adhere to a minimum level of deportment and hygiene.

Without those things, a bus or train becomes a slum on wheels.

You have to be prepared in the NYC subways, like the late Charles Bronson was.

It took a while. but a lot of rich people demanding the government build better roads to run around with their toys on finally drove out the traction companies with subsidies for the automobile. At one point electric interurban networks allowed one to travel from New York to Chicago and all over the Midwest cheaper than one could take a train. They actually did go places people wanted to go, from state parks to Niagara Falls. But, governments couldn't afford both, so they went with pandering to rich people, at the expense of the public, as usual. The DuPonts and the Morgans got their way.

Last edited:
or accept Xiden is the ultimate failure. How many cities across the country have gone broke trying, simply because they fucked it up beginning to end because it was a pipedream to begin with. Your taxes and expenses just shot way up, especially the middle class who the left desires to eliminate under social order serving the pockets of the fewest possible.

You have to be prepared in the NYC subways, like the late Charles Bronson was.

Wow, it's a movie.

What's not to like about mass transit

People in a vehicle experience a bit of freedom compared to being caged up on trains. Frankly being on a passenger jet is the same but it is much faster on city to city travel then trains. Local commuter rail and subway systems can be busy though. Maglev passed us by some decades ago. Long routes with trains through less populated areas perhaps could have been achieved but would an environmental issue be brought up? Down here they have a commuter train that runs some through a few counties miles. And they only get about 7000 people a day I believe on it. That means we are subsidizing it. And this with a massive Highway reconstruction project going on for several years.

There was a time when very few could afford cars......the biden regime will see to it that those days return....folks simply have no clue as to what is coming down the pike.

Yanno, "the hoi polloi" is redundant.
Just sayin'.

As far as transportation though, I found out when the time came that if I want to ride a train from here I have to first get a ride 100 miles to an AMTRAK station. And it's not because there are no rails --- there's plenty.

Just sayin'.

As far as transportation though, I found out when the time came that if I want to ride a train from here I have to first get a ride 100 miles to an AMTRACK station. And it's not because there are no rails --- there's plenty.

Hoi polloi, a Greek expression meaning "the many" or, in the strictest sense, "the majority", is used in English to refer to the working class, commoners, the masses or common people in a derogatory sense. Synonyms for hoi polloi which also express the same or similar contempt for such people include "the great unwashed", "the plebeians" or "plebs", "the rabble", "riff-raff", "the herd", "the proles" and "peons". The phrase became known to English scholars probably from Pericles' Funeral Oration, as mentioned in Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Pericles uses it in a positive way when praising the Athenian democracy, contrasting it with hoi oligoi, "the few" Its current English usage originated in the early 19th century, a time when it was generally accepted that one must be familiar with Greek and Latin in order to be considered well educated. The phrase was originally written in Greek letters. Knowledge of these languages served to set apart the speaker from hoi polloi in question, who were not similarly educated.

Just sayin'.

As far as transportation though, I found out when the time came that if I want to ride a train from here I have to first get a ride 100 miles to an AMTRACK station. And it's not because there are no rails --- there's plenty.

Hoi polloi, a Greek expression meaning "the many" or, in the strictest sense, "the majority", is used in English to refer to the working class, commoners, the masses or common people in a derogatory sense. Synonyms for hoi polloi which also express the same or similar contempt for such people include "the great unwashed", "the plebeians" or "plebs", "the rabble", "riff-raff", "the herd", "the proles" and "peons". The phrase became known to English scholars probably from Pericles' Funeral Oration, as mentioned in Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Pericles uses it in a positive way when praising the Athenian democracy, contrasting it with hoi oligoi, "the few" Its current English usage originated in the early 19th century, a time when it was generally accepted that one must be familiar with Greek and Latin in order to be considered well educated. The phrase was originally written in Greek letters. Knowledge of these languages served to set apart the speaker from hoi polloi in question, who were not similarly educated.

Yes dear I know. When you write "the hoi polloi" you're basically writing "the the many".
Much like the cashier telling you to put in your personal identification number number. Who knew my PIN has its own number.

Forum List

Back