Amend Florida's 'stand your ground' law, says lawyer for Markeis McGlockton's family

Have you ever used your weapon to dissuade someone w/o shooting?

• Total voters
I mean the guy who was killed when he backed away. Does his life matter?
It did, he threw it away when he attacked another human, or don’t you believe in self defense?
I believe in using the minimum needed to defend myself. I also believe in trying to de escalate a situation.
Well ewe wasn’t there getting shoved around wiz ewe?
Neither were you.

On the other hand, I was in a similar shoving situation years ago.

I did not have a gun.

Neither did the other person,

No one was hurt. No one died.

Maybe it is time to quit glorifying guns as a means of handling disputes and start to value other means?
Was there a physical and or age disparity? Or are you okay with beating up old people and why the mother fuck didn’t you apply that fucking standard to the attacker? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Was the attacker armed?

Was he moving towards the armed man?

What old person got beaten up?

Is shoving now worthy of killing?

Come on Willow...is there any point at which you might say the guy with the gun was just plain wrong?

There is legitimate self defense...and then there is this questionable grey area. When does it become murder?

Maybe, when your pissed, you would rather shoot then talk.
I think too many people see the stand your ground law as allowing them to get away with shooting someone and getting away with it in a situation where the escalation of the use of force isn't actually warranted.

Shooting and killing someone isn't the appropriate legal self-defense response to being shoved.
To be fair, only this dummy saw it that way maybe. Just deal with the idiot appropriately and then move on. It is probably my guess that most don't abuse the law, and that most use it wisely. It is when people start defending the indefensible under such a law, is when people see the slight crack in the law that could be exploited. Seal the crack and move on.

It did, he threw it away when he attacked another human, or don’t you believe in self defense?
I believe in using the minimum needed to defend myself. I also believe in trying to de escalate a situation.
Neither were you.

I did not have a gun.

Maybe it is time to quit glorifying guns as a means of handling disputes and start to value other means?
Was there a physical and or age disparity? Or are you okay with beating up old people and why the mother fuck didn’t you apply that fucking standard to the attacker? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Was the attacker armed?

Come on Willow...is there any point at which you might say the guy with the gun was just plain wrong?

There is legitimate self defense...and then there is this questionable grey area. When does it become murder?
Well I ask you is pointing your finger worth shoving? Tell me! If I am at home and some dude comes in should I practice de escalation? Tell me also why some able bodied person parked in a handicapped spot?

No! The left hate stand your ground! They believe attackers should be able to beat the shit out of you and you should try and talk them out of it. Bullshit!

Neither were you.

I did not have a gun.

Was the attacker armed?

Well I ask you is pointing your finger worth shoving? Tell me! If I am at home and some dude comes in should I practice de escalation? Tell me also why some able bodied person parked in a handicapped spot?
Is parking in a handicapped spot a death penalty offense?

Is shoving worth killing over?

Are other means available for handling the issues?

No! The left hate stand your ground! They believe attackers should be able to beat the shit out of you and you should try and talk them out of it. Bullshit!

So you advocate killing unarmed people, backing away from your gun, without trying alternatives first?

So you advocate killing unarmed people, backing away from your gun, without trying alternatives first?
Would this have happened had your hero not shoved the man? Yes or no?

What about the dead guys life?
You mean the attacker?

You know what the last violent altercation I had was?

It was St. Patty's day, and I drank a few with a friend, then was walking around the block (beer in hand) to see another old friend, and this young black cop comes up, says I'm going to jail. So I let him put the cuffs on me, soon as he got that 2nd cuff clicked, he curb-slammed me. Picked me up by the chain in between the cuffs.

I went off like a rocket, ready to get that POS fired. I know my rights, I demanded to speak to his supervisor, it was a choice, get him fired and go to jail, or walk away.

I walked away. There's a time and a place for everything.

I walked several miles right out of his jurisdiction.

Hmmm...now you are descending into “my hero”. He is not. He is just an unarmed guy who backed away from a guy he had shoved, who pulled a gun.

Did he deserve to die when he backed off? Who made the shooter judge, jury and executioner?

To answer your question, no.

But then...it should not have happened regardless.

Hmmm...now you are descending into “my hero”. He is not. He is just an unarmed guy who backed away from a guy he had shoved, who pulled a gun.

Did he deserve to die when he backed off? Who made the shooter judge, jury and executioner?

Yeah, if only your hero had not shoved the other guy. Maybe he should have backed away before he shoved him or just tried de escalating the situation ya think? So yeah! It takes two to tango.

Yeah, if only your hero had not shoved the other guy. Maybe he should have backed away before he shoved him or just tried de escalating the situation ya think? So yeah! It takes two to tango.
Or maybe he did not deserve to be shot when backing away Willow. Why defend it?

You mean the attacker?

You know what the last violent altercation I had was?

It was St. Patty's day, and I drank a few with a friend, then was walking around the block (beer in hand) to see another old friend, and this young black cop comes up, says I'm going to jail. So I let him put the cuffs on me, soon as he got that 2nd cuff clicked, he curb-slammed me. Picked me up by the chain in between the cuffs.

I went off like a rocket, ready to get that POS fired. I know my rights, I demanded to speak to his supervisor, it was a choice, get him fired and go to jail, or walk away.

I walked away. There's a time and a place for everything.

I walked several miles right out of his jurisdiction.
Correct! And the violent one could have walked away from mr. mouth. Right?

Answer my questions first then we will talk! I know you are in favor of shoving and physical assault right up until it dosen’t go your way but I can’t figure out why you defend physical assault! Tell me.

I pulled a gun on 3 big black guys when I was 15, they backed off, I didn't shoot ary a one of them. We became friends in later years.

They came up looking for trouble. I let them them know that whoever stepped up 1st was getting shot.

Nobody volunteered. Thank God. I especially became friends with one of them's younger brother.

To be fair, only this dummy saw it that way maybe. Just deal with the idiot appropriately and then move on. It is probably my guess that most don't abuse the law, and that most use it wisely. It is when people start defending the indefensible under such a law, is when people see the slight crack in the law that could be exploited. Seal the crack and move on.
No, I wish that were the case but not even close. Zimmerman is also a case in point however their are several cases where the SYG laws were just flat out abused, like the case where this guy ran down a thief who broke into his vehicle and stabbed him to death
Five ‘Stand Your Ground’ Cases You Should Know About — ProPublica

I pulled a gun on 3 big black guys when I was 15, they backed off, I didn't shoot ary a one of them. We became friends in later years.

They came up looking for trouble. I let them them know that whoever stepped up 1st was getting shot.

Nobody volunteered. Thank God. I especially became friends with one of them's younger brother.
Well in Florida if you pull a gun and just brandish it you can be charged.

Answer my questions first then we will talk! I know you are in favor of shoving and physical assault right up until it dosen’t go your way but I can’t figure out why you defend physical assault! Tell me.

I did. You had one question, and I answered it. You don't get any more.

I'm not in favor of anything Willow. Except UNNECESSARY killing. I've been shoved and bullied, so I know all about it. I also know if a guy is BACKING away from a gun, he is no longer a threat. So why shoot him? Isn't that going too far? How FAR can it go where you will continue to defend it? Shooting him in the back as he is fleeing?

No, I wish that were the case but not even close. Zimmerman is also a case in point however their are several cases where the SYG laws were just flat out abused, like the case where this guy ran down a thief who broke into his vehicle and stabbed him to death
Five ‘Stand Your Ground’ Cases You Should Know About — ProPublica

I agree. If you have to chase them down it is flat out wrong. Stand your ground does not mean you can chase them down. It means if you are attacked you do not have to run.

Well in Florida if you pull a gun and just brandish it you can be charged.

Ayep, funny, dem niggas didn't call no police.

I cornered each one of them individually in the next few days in school.

Forum List

Back