All Americans—whether brown, white, or black—should be required to carry a passport..

'At a minimum all Americans should be required to have one of the wallet-sized passport cards issued by the feds. They cost $20 if you've had a regular passport before, $45 if you haven't. Foreign citizens with United States Permanent Resident Cards, which have recently been redesigned and made more secure would only need to show those.'

Do you people not know that our driver's license serves as a 'passport'???? Why do you think that they are not issued easily??? It is OUR form of ID. You HAVE to carry some form of ID on you - if you don't drive, then you still get some form of ID issued by the Motor Vehicle Dept. Students carry school ID cards with their picture on them. It is a necessity and not a luxury!!!

A necessity? Those cops who have stopped me in the past while I have not been driving must not understand the law as well as you do then. I never show them ID, and they have never made an issue of it.

Forgive me for asking, but if they stopped you (as you claim)and you were not drving then what exactly did they stop you from doing? Riding a bike? Walking? If they had asked you for an ID and you refused, I guarantee they would have made an issue out of it. Or you could be lying which isn't at all impossible.

In CA if you are stopped for a ticketable offense like jay walking, and you have no ID, you can be taken to the station and thumb printed. Then you can leave with your ticket. If you are asked for an ID and there is no offense, just curiosity, you cannot be forced to show ID.

An officer then has two choices, let a person go, or lie about an offense. Do you support police officers lying so they can Id people?

So you Dante, just made MY point and contradicted yourself - IT MAKES SENSE TO CARRY ID WITH YOU. So again, it is a NECESSITY.

So you Dante, just made MY point and contradicted yourself - IT MAKES SENSE TO CARRY ID WITH YOU. So again, it is a NECESSITY.

Nope. It making sense is a matter of opinion. There are people who go through their whole lives without once being stopped or questioned by authorities. That will change in a police state where we are all required to carry ID. Note the operative word: required.

You are too stupid to realize I've said a national requirement being 'carry a passport' might be something I could accept (the thread is less than 2 pages). Only I would accept it knowing freedoms are being given up or power is being given to the state which we will be hard pressed to get back.

you're stuck on stupid where there are only two sides to every issue with no gray areas in between. Gray areas are where the reasonable and sane people live.

---

I went back and did your homework for you...
Immigration and IDs: A Modest Proposal

Why support this guy's idea as opposed to the ideas of others? He doesn't fall in to racist or xenophobic traps.

but I think it fails to address what would happen at traffic stop. unless of course a national ID was needed to get a state driver's license. the states get to make those rules. then there is the situation of unlicensed drivers on the roads.

look up: inference

Last edited:

Forum List

Back