All Americans—whether brown, white, or black—should be required to carry a passport..

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Immigration and IDs: A Modest Proposal

Why All Americans Should Carry ID Papers - Christopher Dickey - Newsweek.com

Last week, I read this with great interest. It is an interesting take on things.

At a minimum all Americans should be required to have one of the wallet-sized passport cards issued by the feds. They cost $20 if you've had a regular passport before, $45 if you haven't. Foreign citizens with United States Permanent Resident Cards, which have recently been redesigned and made more secure would only need to show those.

Anything less—the "biometric Social Security card" advocated by some Democrats on Capitol Hill, say, or the Real ID program to modify state drivers' licenses as national IDs or the E-Verify program for businesses to check employees' true nationalities—is really just a workaround that doesn't work. These schemes also create whole new layers of bureaucracy and vast new burdens for law enforcement.

Why support this guy's idea as opposed to the ideas of others? He doesn't fall in to racist or xenophobic traps.

but I think it fails to address what would happen at traffic stop. unless of course a national ID was needed to get a state driver's license. the states get to make those rules. then there is the situation of unlicensed drivers on the roads.

Last edited:
Immigration and IDs: A Modest Proposal

Why All Americans Should Carry ID Papers - Christopher Dickey - Newsweek.com

Last week, I read this with great interest. It is an interesting take on things.

At a minimum all Americans should be required to have one of the wallet-sized passport cards issued by the feds. They cost $20 if you've had a regular passport before, $45 if you haven't. Foreign citizens with United States Permanent Resident Cards, which have recently been redesigned and made more secure would only need to show those.

Anything less—the "biometric Social Security card" advocated by some Democrats on Capitol Hill, say, or the Real ID program to modify state drivers' licenses as national IDs or the E-Verify program for businesses to check employees' true nationalities—is really just a workaround that doesn't work. These schemes also create whole new layers of bureaucracy and vast new burdens for law enforcement.

Why support this guy's idea as opposed to the ideas of others? He doesn't fall in to racist or xenophobic traps.

but I think it fails to address what would happen at traffic stop. unless of course a national ID was needed to get a state driver's license. the states get to make those rules. then there is the situation of unlicensed drivers on the roads.

U.S. Passport Card – "This is a limited-use international travel document valid for entry into the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It is not valid for international air travel." -Newsweek

and...

"Redesigning the Green Card is a major achievement for USCIS," said Director Alejandro Mayorkas. "The new security technology makes a critical contribution to the integrity of the immigration system."
-Newsweek

New Immigration Laws: Please be certain to read to the bottom or you will miss the message...

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
2. All ballots will be in this nation's language..
3.. All government business will be conducted in our language.
4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.
5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office
6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
8. If foreigners come here and buy land... options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted and when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

Too strict ???

The above laws are current immigration laws of MEXICO!!!

'At a minimum all Americans should be required to have one of the wallet-sized passport cards issued by the feds. They cost $20 if you've had a regular passport before, $45 if you haven't. Foreign citizens with United States Permanent Resident Cards, which have recently been redesigned and made more secure would only need to show those.'

Do you people not know that our driver's license serves as a 'passport'???? Why do you think that they are not issued easily??? It is OUR form of ID. You HAVE to carry some form of ID on you - if you don't drive, then you still get some form of ID issued by the Motor Vehicle Dept. Students carry school ID cards with their picture on them. It is a necessity and not a luxury!!!

:) The vast majority of Americans will never need a passport becuase they will never leave the borders of their own country.

Do you people not know that our driver's license serves as a 'passport'???? Why do you think that they are not issued easily??? It is OUR form of ID. You HAVE to carry some form of ID on you - if you don't drive, then you still get some form of ID issued by the Motor Vehicle Dept. Students carry school ID cards with their picture on them. It is a necessity and not a luxury!!!

It is not law, you idiot. That is what we were talking about. You do NOT have to carry ID with you.

If you actually read the article or even the OP you'd see the arguments...
:eusa_whistle:

It is not law, you idiot. That is what we were talking about. You do NOT have to carry ID with you.

If you actually read the article or even the OP you'd see the arguments...
:eusa_whistle:

Where in the message did you read the word LAW??? It's a NECESSITY!!!! If you have any kind of sense, you SHOULD and WOULD carry some form of ID with you!! Idiot.....

Where in the message did you read the word LAW??? It's a NECESSITY!!!! If you have any kind of sense, you SHOULD and WOULD carry some form of ID with you!! Idiot.....

In the context of an argument about carrying ID, 'necessity' sounds an awful like 'it's the law'

your hysterical response is typical of people who think typing on a computer is equivalent to writing a term paper. we were discussing ID laws and in a discussion the rules are different than Thesis writing. :eek:

Should?

It is your desire for a Nanny State where people should carry ID that creeps me out.

If a person pays cash and does not live on credit (like the big bad government does) there is no need to carry an ID in ones every day life.

In the context of an argument about carrying ID, 'necessity' sounds an awful like 'it's the law'

your hysterical response is typical of people who think typing on a computer is equivalent to writing a term paper. we were discussing ID laws and in a discussion the rules are different than Thesis writing. :eek:

Should?

It is your desire for a Nanny State where people should carry ID that creeps me out.

If a person pays cash and does not live on credit (like the big bad government does) there is no need to carry an ID in ones every day life.

And it's dumbnuts like you who when involved in a life or death situation and when NO ID is found in your miserable body, dead or alive, you make the work of many a nightmare. You creep me out. You might want to use your dictionary more often to look up the meaning of words. Necessity vs law = like night and day. :eusa_hand:

Everyone in my family has a identification and to get one a birth certificate is needed. My 21 year old downs syndrome grand daughter has one. I don't drive and I have one.
Even Spot has one. If he is picked up, I have to prove he belongs.

Why should illegal aliens not to have an identification? What so special about them?

Last edited:
'At a minimum all Americans should be required to have one of the wallet-sized passport cards issued by the feds. They cost $20 if you've had a regular passport before, $45 if you haven't. Foreign citizens with United States Permanent Resident Cards, which have recently been redesigned and made more secure would only need to show those.'

A necessity? Those cops who have stopped me in the past while I have not been driving must not understand the law as well as you do then. I never show them ID, and they have never made an issue of it.

Regarding the issuance of secure drivers licenses...

We're getting there... Here in FL, we made the switch in January this year... Federally mandated and not paid for, of course! (DAMN Gub'mint interference :evil: )

In the past we handed them out like candy but now you really have to prove who you are to renew one or get one. I handle a LOT of ID's in my job and here in FL I see a good variety from the East Coast... NY has the hardest to forge IMHO.... I don't know how hard it is to obtain one.

Last edited:
:) The vast majority of Americans will never need a passport becuase they will never leave the borders of their own country.

While you may be right, getting and maintaining a current passport is a wise thing to do right now...

Proving my citizenship is not something I've ever had to do outside of an airport, but passport holders and the naturalized citizens who managed to save their certificates all these years are going to be the only ones who can if it ever comes to that...... birth certificates are cheap.

Everyone in my family has a identification and to get one a birth certificate is needed. My 21 year old downs syndrome grand daughter has one. I don't drive and I have one.

Why should illegal aliens not to have an identification? What so special about them?

Illegal aliens don't have ID. That's what makes them 'illegal'.

Illegal aliens don't have ID. That's what makes them 'illegal'.

Some of them do, which makes them even more illegal.

Should?

And it's dumbnuts like you who when involved in a life or death situation and when NO ID is found in your miserable body, dead or alive, you make the work of many a nightmare. You creep me out. You might want to use your dictionary more often to look up the meaning of words. Necessity vs law = like night and day. :eusa_hand:

What the fuck are you carrying on about? I've been involved in life or death situations and never had an opportunity to think "OMG! Let me use my National ID to save myself"

you still don't get that there are more than one meaning for words and that in context words mean different things. there are assumed meanings in the context of conversational debate. as when one uses "necessity' when discussing legal issues.

you're not writing a term paper dopey. you're not being graded. :eek:

Should?

What the fuck are you carrying on about? I've been involved in life or death situations and never had an opportunity to think "OMG! Let me use my National ID to save myself"

you still don't get that there are more than one meaning for words and that in context words mean different things. there are assumed meanings in the context of conversational debate. as when one uses "necessity' when discussing legal issues.

you're not writing a term paper dopey. you're not being graded. :eek:

:eusa_hand::eusa_hand::cuckoo::cuckoo:

A necessity? Those cops who have stopped me in the past while I have not been driving must not understand the law as well as you do then. I never show them ID, and they have never made an issue of it.

Forgive me for asking, but if they stopped you (as you claim)and you were not drving then what exactly did they stop you from doing? Riding a bike? Walking? If they had asked you for an ID and you refused, I guarantee they would have made an issue out of it. Or you could be lying which isn't at all impossible.

Last edited:
New Immigration Laws: Please be certain to read to the bottom or you will miss the message...

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
2. All ballots will be in this nation's language..
3.. All government business will be conducted in our language.
4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.
5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office
6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.
7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
8. If foreigners come here and buy land... options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.
10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted and when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

Too strict ???

The above laws are current immigration laws of MEXICO!!!

An excellent idea. Let's be like Mexico. It works so well for them.

New Topics

Forum List

Back